• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Used Engine

Are you going to use new rings? I recommend a set from Total seal, you will need to gap them all to your bores..

With that many miles you should have the machine shop measure the bores and make sure they aren't out of spec/too big compared to the pistons and run a hone through them for the new rings to seat against..
Being done at the machine shop being done now.

When it rains it pours. I just got the block back from the machine shop and they found 3 cracks. The dismantler that I bought it from gave me a 6 month warranty. Here is where the fun begins.

Hate to hear that man. Hopefully the supplier won’t give you a hard time on a replacement

Curious as to where the cracks were?

Welcome to ZombieLand where 6.5 engines don't know they are scrap till someone goes looking for cracks.

Be interesting to see the next engine torn down.

Sorry! here they are

Attachments

• 20190103_194755.jpg
    20190103_194755.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190103_194807[1].jpg
    20190103_194807[1].jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 25
Have y’all seen many of these 6.x’s crack near the freeze plugs? I believe that’s the first for me.

Well obviously would hope they just get you a new one.

Or a couple bandaids, and it’ll be fine!

Or take it back. I talked to someone there yesterday but kept getting cut off since he was out in the yard. I'm going there this morning. We'll see. Luckily I bought it with my Visa so if they won't honor it I will put in a claim with them and let them go after them. Hopefully it wont come to that.

Cracking around a freeze plug indicates freezing coolant...

Yup. 100% agree that is what happend here.

Intersting (at least to me) side note.
The ford 6.9 blocks were known to crack from unequal expansion at the block heater location. According to Ford it would start to weaken the block from too many heat cycles and too strong a heater. Many Ford guys would replace the one strong heater with 2 weaker ones, one on each side. This was one of the acceptable fixes from Ford to calm an unhappy customer wanting all possible solutions. Another was no internal block heater and using the inline hose water heater and pump circulation systems more commly found in generators and semis.

They did metallurgy change between the 6.9 and 7.3 is a frequently brought up argument.

The original heater was good enough that folks who cardboarded their radiators could actually over heat and puke out coolant from the pressure. Oopsie ! Haha

afaik Ford won all the legal arguments by the radiator not being able to evac the excess heat from nonfactory modification and in one case showed the power supply was 140 volts well exceeding the normal power coming in.

When I did my stent at the local Ford dealership as a diesel guy- that was 1 of the 3 training videos I had to watch for some legal reason. The other two were more stupid than that haha. I was out of there in a couple weeks. I felt like a traitor dr patching up the enemy- haha.

@Will L. Did you see the rough road test video with all the bolts loose on a GM pickup where the bed and cab were bouncing? Or was that after the lawsuit stopped that one?

Don't feel bad as the OEM's need all the help they can get. And that was before emmisions!

Back