• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune, resistors and tcc

only 32ft/lb for converter bolts! wow I have never looked them up but always thought they were tighter! now I know I prob over tightened mine.
I revised that post. I was going out of the 6.5 engine section. I went to the 4L80E section and it had 49 lb/ft for flexplate to converter bolts with transmission on engine.

Dangnit.
I did once have a spare torque wrench but give it away to someone.
If I come across a TW for a reasonable price I’ll send it over to You.
Me? I'm using the almost 60 year old Snap-On ½" drive torque to click torque wrench my late dad used on the sprint car back in the 60's when I was just a pup helping out. He gave it to me about 35 years ago when I was R&Ring and rebuilding Subaru engines. Still holds dead balls-on calibration when the local Snap-On dealer services it for me for free every two years. Yeah, they just don't make things like they used to.

@Husker6.5 for a 95 model would you happen to have a pic of the cover and brace? I have seen some that were thin sheet metal and another that's on the newer ones that's cast aluminum with some extra threaded holes. I may need to add these things to my junk yardscavenging list.

The closest I can come is my '94. Getting a photo would take some doing, as it's sitting in my driveway with about 15 years worth of stuff shoved under it (like the old exhaust system off it and the Burb, for starters) to stay directly out of the elements. I'll see if I can get a shot.

Ok no rush lol. I understand. I kno to won’t be going back to the junkyard for a week or two at least. I’ve been driving it like it is for a couple years

Ok, here's a couple of shots from the passenger side from as far under as I could scoot my 60 year old, a lot fatter than I was 20 years ago body, and reaching as far as I could with my right arm to the driver side of the engine from behind the passenger tire. First shot is from Passenger side, second from reaching over to Driver side.20211015_162816.jpgThe converter cover is just stamped sheet steel. I know that the brace is there, but I couldn't get a shot of it. I'll see if I can get one from above.20211015_162908.jpg

Top shot is looking up at the converter cover and oil pan. The bolt hanging down is a starter bolt from when I had to pull my recently rebuilt by a local auto electric shop starter and put it on my Burb when the Burb's crapped out the day the big snowstorm was moving in that night! The cover is definitely just stamped sheet metal.

I was thinking it was stamped sheet metal. I had seen one on a express van 6.0 4l80e that was cast aluminum and fairly beefy. I almost snagged it thinking it would provide some extra support

Well, I can see it from the top side, but I can't reach in there to get a shot. Cold front is moving in and it's starting to sprinkle cold rain and the engine compartment is filthy, soooo, no pics with the phone.

BUT, the 98 K2500 Burb's a whole different story!20211015_171739.jpg16343363108385813629193694161843.jpg16343363477046319537096264693513.jpgAs you can see from the series of photos, it runs from the tranny, along side the starter and up to near the front of the block where it bolts to it.16343364275758227573388316437545.jpg

Nice thank you. Looks like it bolts to the sheet metal cover on the tranny. I suppose if I had the aluminum cover it would be more secure

I’m adding those to my scavenger hunt list for my next visit to the junkyard

wow look at the text I just received from wrench-a-part junkyard

Time Sale at San Antonio Wrench A Part on 10/16! 9am-10 40% off,10am-12pm 30% off,12- 2pm 25% off,2-4pm 20% off,4-6pm 15% off. 210-686-0396

Nice thank you. Looks like it bolts to the sheet metal cover on the tranny. I suppose if I had the aluminum cover it would be more secure
Actually, it looked like it bolted to a boss on the side of the transmission, not with one of the cover bolts. Let me go get a shot off of the 4x4 4L80E I have sitting on the ground. Just looked. Nope, you're right, it bolts to the lower shield hole. Things look wacky scrunched under a vehicle and twisted around, let alone off a camera shot with no orientation references!

I was thinking it was stamped sheet metal. I had seen one on a express van 6.0 4l80e that was cast aluminum and fairly beefy. I almost snagged it thinking it would provide some extra support
And I'm willing to bet there's a lot more clearance with the 6.0 oil pan to the converter cover than there is with the 6.5's, which is one of the reasons the used a cast aluminum. I bet the 6.0 doesn't use the braces (one on each side) that the 5.0 and 5.7 gassers use with the 4L80E in the GMT-400 chassis, either. Both the 98 K2500 Burb and the 94 C2500HD of mine have stamped sheet steel converter covers.

I HATE TURNING WRENCHES!!! Ok no I don't....but today I do..
Finally got the new transmission up in the truck..I don't recommend ever trying to do this by yourself, it sucks... Especially when your trying to move it around on a wobbly tranny jack..I'm going to buy one when I can.(a good one) this was a rental harbor freight one.. anyhow tranny kept leaning and sliding on it then I couldn't get the right angle to get up in to the block square, and one side was to high and other side to low ...y'all get the drift .. finally about a hour ago my neighbor Chris (young guy that's built like a brick wall came home from work, he saw my work lights and wondered over.( I was just putting stuff up for the night) after telling him the problems I've had trying to get it in there right he He asked if I wanted to give it another try tonight cause he had a Lil bit of time ( I was not very confident we'd be able to wrestle it in there without being at it all night ..I was wrong...he got under there and basically bench pressed it in to place then had me get the jack realigned while he held it....😒. ( I'm not ever fighting him.. I'll just shoot him from a distance if it comes to that some day.)...so got it lined up and 4 out of 6 housing bolts in ....and got the cross member back under the tranny tail....I love having good neighbors...so hopefully tomorrow I can put everything back together.. should go back together alot easier then it came apart..
Then back to the job hunt but we will bounce back...btw again, many thanks to all of you, I couldn't have done this with out all y'all's advice and help ...

BRAVO! The hard part in now over! Now tomorrow to finish up with all the details! Your tale reminds me of back when I was in college in '82. My next door neighbor had to swap out the blown TH350 in his 70 Impala 4dr family hauler and go to work vehicle. It was late December and we were working in his open, unheated garage in about -15° weather at night with a single drop light to see by and a small space heater blowing warmish air under the car, with the front of the Impala up on car ramps. While he and his cousin dropped the driveshaft and disconnected linkage, wires and bellhousing bolts, they slid it back and I bench pressed it down and they then pulled me out from under the Impala on the creeper with the transmission on my chest. Installation was pretty much the reverse, except when they went to reinstall the driveshaft, discovered that the parts yard used TH350 had the wrong length tail shaft on it and the driveshaft was too short!

So, remove the new tranny the same way old came out! I let him take my '72 BBC Monte Carlo to work the next morning, and when he came home from work we loaded the replacement TH350 into my trunk to take back to the parts yard to exchange for a tranny with the correct tail shaft on it. Then we repeated the dance of the night before and everything bolted up after I played Transmission Jack (Jack not name, Jack job!) for a second night in a row (and even colder than the night before!). Topped up the transmission fluid and he backed it down the ramps, out the driveway and a trip around the neighborhood, mission successful!

I also used the bench press method to drop the transaxle out of my '80 Subaru 4x4 hatchback when I needed to put a new clutch in it at 160K miles and to then install the transaxle back in back in '91. That was a lot easier as it weighed maybe 100 lbs as opposed to the TH350 that probably weighed at least 150, and it was 85° out, not -15° and -18°! I also used the bench press method to install a new clutch in my mom's 80 Datsun 510 4dr hatch 5 speed in her driveway later that summer. That transmission maybe weighed 75 pounds. It had about 145K on it at the time.

Back