• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune, resistors and tcc

It’s the stud where the ignition switch connects. If there’s still something to attach to. Just solder a wire to what’s left and connect it to the solenoid wire on the truck Should work for a hood while

The stud is still there, but it spins in the solenoid like it broke loose inside.. also the wire that goes from the starter body to the solenoid is pretty flimsy. Seems like it would be more sturdy than it is

You might be able to to pull the solenoid apart and do a quick repair. I’m betting they wire inside is still connected if the stud is long enough thread the nut on the stud tightly and get another nut on there for the solenoid wire. Bench test it before install just to make sure though. Post a pic of the solenoid so I can see just to be sure

Dumb question. When I put the new starter in, do I just use the shim from the old starter or does it come with new ones.. or is each one different and have to be shimmed different

There's a thin piece of metal that was between the starter and the block..has holes for the boys to go through

@Stoney Just the two bolts up through the front of the starter housing and the small support brace at the rear of the starter that bolts to the case and the engine block and keeps the leverage weight of the starter from cracking the block at the front starter bolt holes. That little strap from the solenoid to the starter is a ground strap for the solenoid.

Sometimes on disconnecting, with those off-shore chain parts store solenoids, the ignition wire stud will break loose from the plastic insulator/holder inside the solenoid. Try grabbing a pair of needle nose pliers and see if you can gently pull that stud out all the way like @dbrannon79 suggested and get a nut on it and while gently (so you don't FUBAR the threads of the copper stud) holding the stud's end with the needle nose, tighten the nut down against the solenoid body to hold it in place. There should be enough stud left to put the ignition wire eyelet on the stud and then another nut.

Do you have a local auto electric shop nearby where you live? A new replacement solenoid installed is a LOT cheaper than another foreign-done "remanufactured" starter by a long shot.

I had to shim my starter when I installed it. Of course it’s a reman starter. When it does go kaput I’m gonna shoot for a power master

@ Husker6.5 so your saying pull the tiny stud out of the solenoid. I assume there is a wire hooked to the back of it where it is inside the solenoid.?? I actually think there is another nut on the stud already that was tight up to the solenoid. So it would go. solenoid,nut, starter wire, another not to hold starter wire.. so if I just hold the back nut put wire on and then the other nut to hold wire on it will work temporarily???.
Yes we have good electrical shops in Elmira, but I can't really get to them right now...if what you are saying will work temporarily then I'd buy the one @ AK diesel driver has from him....I'd trust him a hole lot more then these places around here..lol

Back