• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny swap

Billybob

Reaction score
Hello and good evening, all.
Here's the story: I have a '93 gm with a 6.5 Detroit. The 4L80E behind it is cooked. I do have a 1998 4L80E from behind a 5.7l that's basically brand new. Would the '98 4L80E fit behind the '93 Detroit? Thanks a bunch

I'm not the one to ask, THEFERMANATOR would be the one. I have a 94 parts truck and the shift mechanism is Mech., later ones were cable. Electronics may differ and the cooler lines are larger on the 98. Also make sure to use the TCC off the diesel.

I do know 95 and later used a different internal/External? wiring harness, updated harnesses can be bought.

It is not a direct swap. Different cooler line hookups, different shift shaft, mechanical vs cable shift linkage, and a different EPC solenoid and control strategy. And as pointed out, different torque converters.

It is not a direct swap. Different cooler line hookups, different shift shaft, mechanical vs cable shift linkage, and a different EPC solenoid and control strategy. And as pointed out, different torque converters.
Gotcha. Thank you very much. I'm just a dumb bush equipment meknic/operator and it sounds like it's doable. I'm sure I'll have more questions but until then, thank you very much

Gotcha. Thank you very much. I'm just a dumb bush equipment meknic/operator and it sounds like it's doable. I'm sure I'll have more questions but until then, thank you very much
I do NOT recomend this swap. You will most likely end up buying a different trans controller to make it work.

To make a 97+ trans work with a 93 controller will require a custom valve body. You cannot swap in a 96 or older valve body into a 97+ center lube 4l80e. So you would have to adapt the 91-93 EPC to the 98 valve body. This WILL involve welding, custom milling work, and integrating parts if the 93 valve body into the 98's. And this is if it's a 2 wheel drive, if it's a 4x4 you have to completely tear the 98 trans down to add an output reluctor wheel. This is the kind of swap that known trans shoos won't even attempt, and if they do they will most likely end up with a different trans controller to make it work. 91-93 4l80e's should be considered a different trans from 94+.

Probably better to bring both the transmissions to a GOOD shop, which depending where you are someone might be able to recommend, and bring them both transmissions, if they take cores.
Have them completely rebuild yours so it is good for next quarter million miles.

The money they would give you for the other trans - depends how much they could sell it for. So figure out what you could get on Craigslist.

Back