• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer tow mirrors (DIY)

The only thing I didn't like about having those mirrors on my truck was everytime I flipped them out I had to re-adjust my mirrors for the flipped out position. Which wasn't bad being power. The other thing I didn't like about them was the spot mirror is not adjustable, not a big deal either, but is a lot nicer on the other mirrors that it adjusts seperately. About a year after I bought them they came out with the new style tow mirrors for our trucks that were direct bolt on with LED turn signal. I was camping and a woodpecker pecked my Dodge tow mirror and cracked the pass. side mirror. So I figured if I was going to buy a $100 replacement mirror for the pass. side, I would just spend $200 and get the new style tow mirrors with LED. So glad I did. I can tow my trailer now and just slide them out without having to adjust. They are both nice mirrors, I just like the features of the GM late model tow mirrors better. The pic in post #63 is my truck with the Dodge mirrors. I don't think I have posted any pics with the new mirrors.

Makes sense - I understand what you're saying. I don't think I'd use them in the flipped out position unless I'm pulling a camper or have our slide-in in the bed. I can see what I need to see when I have the gooseneck hooked up with the ones I have now. I do notice that the dodge guys seem to always leave them in the out position. I figured most of that was an ego thing (for some, I would guess it is), but maybe some of it is having to adjust back and forth all the time like you're saying.

I've got a couple more things to iron out in terms of short term projects, then I think I'll be on these. I'd like to have them on before Labor Day weekend.

Have not heard of any Dodge style that would bolt up. An adapter might be able to be made, but why? just drill three holes.

I'm making a new post about this type of mirror in the "Exterior Section" and will post a link back to this thread inside of it. I'm working with a vendor on this and need some information from you guys.

Thanks, not planing on a kit.
If someone wanted power and If you wanted to take the risk of damaging the new mirrors, you could somehow attach the GM motor assy to the back of the Dodge mirror. I think that would be easier than the next option becuase of the electrical connections/wiring. It would cost less also.

The next option you could do is buy two sets of Dodge mirrors one set from a 94-03 and one 04-05. In 04 they are power, but have the wrong base, so you swap the power head onto the 94-03 base.
You would still have the wiring to figure out but it could be done. Where theres a will theres a way. This option would be very expensive. If new around $600, but you might be able to sell the 04 non powers to a car lot or someone that just needs some cheaper mirrors back on their truck??

Quick update: Since this last post in 2009 things have changed. Power and heated mirrors are also available. Around $200ish shipped. Just PM/email me for info.
SnowDrift just bought a set, so maybe he'll link a thread here on the power hook up asspect?

Yup, I'll sort it out and post back, for sure.

Did you guys use the OEM mirror gasket? I'm thinking about just buying two new ones if it's an item that is available through GM (or aftermarket)

Has anyone put these on the newer trucks like mine? I was considering the GM tow mirrors but this is a possibility too if they work.. I have always liked Dodges' mirrors.

On a side note: What the hell are those two Space alien tenticles? On left side of picture, they look like little funnels on the ends. Optical illusions? or invation?

string hanging down from the garage door release, maybe? Not sure why there are two. Good eye - I didn't observe the mystery objects at all.

Back