• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trailer tow mirrors (DIY)

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I saw this mod done quite a few years ago and copied it onto my 93 in 05. Since then I bought a 96 also and today I put the trailer tow mirrors on it too.

They are Dodge trailer tow mirrors off a 94-03 (I think it went to 03)
I bought them new off ebay for $180. Non power and non heat.
They fit almost perfectly and match the body lines very nice.
I did take a bunch of pictures, I can do a little write up on it if anyone is interested?

trailer tow mirrors 011.jpg

trailer tow mirrors 013.jpg

414.jpg

419.jpg

Please do a write up! A guy on TDP did this, and said he was going to make mounting kits for it. I PM'd him a while ago about it, but he hasn't been on line in forever. I love those mirrors myself.

It pretty easy to do. The mirrors come with a backing plate, it will have to be cut down to fit in the hole of the door. The studs are spaced different so new holes will have to be drilled. Have a friend help, one of you hold the mirror where you want it and the other mark the holes to be drilled. You do need to take your time on this step.

Longer studs.
trailer tow mirrors 004.jpg

trailer tow mirrors 005.jpg
What I did to take up the extra length was to use 3 new sway bar bushings. Also pictured is the cut down backing plate.
trailer tow mirrors 006.jpg
You can see the difference in the studs here.
trailer tow mirrors 008.jpg
After you drill the new holes in the door insert the studs through the door. Install the sway bar bushings, one on each stud. Also, alittle paint on the raw metal from the new holes is good.
trailer tow mirrors 009.jpg
Then install backing plate over bushings and tighten the nuts.
trailer tow mirrors 010.jpg

Thats about it.

nice! i know what i'm buying next. Those mirrors look great on there. with my factory mirrors lacking power anything i figured that finding a non-power replacement would've been more difficult. Now the only problem is affording it. :rolleyes5:

nice, having done that:sifone: mod how hard might it have been had you done heated and power mirrors. Ed

The power mirrors are differant on the newer dodges. When I owned a 2002 dodge I put these mirrors on but, could not find them with the power option.

I will say when you add power the price goes up.

Great write up! Will you have these available on your site? If you could make a power kit you would make some money on these!

The power mirrors are differant on the newer dodges. When I owned a 2002 dodge I put these mirrors on but, could not find them with the power option.

I will say when you add power the price goes up.

Great write up! Will you have these available on your site? If you could make a power kit you would make some money on these!

Thanks, not planing on a kit.
If someone wanted power and If you wanted to take the risk of damaging the new mirrors, you could somehow attach the GM motor assy to the back of the Dodge mirror. I think that would be easier than the next option becuase of the electrical connections/wiring. It would cost less also.

The next option you could do is buy two sets of Dodge mirrors one set from a 94-03 and one 04-05. In 04 they are power, but have the wrong base, so you swap the power head onto the 94-03 base.
You would still have the wiring to figure out but it could be done. Where theres a will theres a way. This option would be very expensive. If new around $600, but you might be able to sell the 04 non powers to a car lot or someone that just needs some cheaper mirrors back on their truck??

Thanks, not planing on a kit.
If someone wanted power and If you wanted to take the risk of damaging the new mirrors, you could somehow attach the GM motor assy to the back of the Dodge mirror. I think that would be easier than the next option becuase of the electrical connections/wiring. It would cost less also.

The next option you could do is buy two sets of Dodge mirrors one set from a 94-03 and one 04-05. In 04 they are power, but have the wrong base, so you swap the power head onto the 94-03 base.
You would still have the wiring to figue out but it could be done. Where theres a will theres a way. This option would be very expensive. If new around $600, but you might be able to sell the 04 non powers to a car lot or someone that just needs some cheaper mirrors back on their truck??

Yeah, That is what I figured! It was worth a try.

I will probably get the mirrors VW has on his burb with power.

I have been looking for an alternative to the big dumb dumbo ear mirrors I have for a long time.... Nice research leroy, and thanks for the invaluable posts.

I did this mod a few months ago on mine. I got power and heat for mine, brand new mirrors for less than $250. I bought ones that would fit 98-01. They line up pretty sweet. I didn't cut my factory power mirror plug either, so if I ever go back to stock I won't have to splice or solder. I ended up putting in shorter studs and then made a backing plate.

Anyway you can post a pic of the mirror folded in and how far it sticks out from the door?

Do you mean a differnt angle than the first pictures?

I did this mod a few months ago on mine. I got power and heat for mine, brand new mirrors for less than $250. I bought ones that would fit 98-01. They line up pretty sweet. I didn't cut my factory power mirror plug either, so if I ever go back to stock I won't have to splice or solder. I ended up putting in shorter studs and then made a backing plate.

Hey thats cool, Damn good price too. When I got mine in 05 it seems the power mirrors were $500 a set?? Care to share details?
I thought about putting in different studs also. It would be fairrly easy to make a bracket adapter so no holes need to be drilled at all.
How did you hook up the electrical?
I have been looking for an alternative to the big dumb dumbo ear mirrors I have for a long time.... Nice research leroy, and thanks for the invaluable posts.

Thank you. These mirrors look like they were born there

I am trying to find the email of the reciept where I bought them. The wiring I just removed from the connector on the mirror and put some heat shrink around each female pin the mirror wiring, and then slid them onto my factory male pin of the truck. They fit tight and so far work good. Do yours vibrate some? Mine vibrate more when they are flipped out. I was wondering if the bushings you did might do the trick to insulate them a little from vibrating. That is my only gripe with them is the vibration. I mean it's not so bad you can't see out of them, and it is definitely better than the CIPA slide on extensions. but if I could stop the vibration it would be really nice. Mine are made by Kool-Vue, and I'll try and find the name of the place.

I just found it. I got them from carpartswholesale.com.

Parts Ordered
1999 - 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Kool Vue Mirror Mirror Price: $106.40 Qty: 1 Part #: DG49ER

1999 - 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Kool Vue Mirror Mirror Price: $106.40 Qty: 1 Part #: DG49EL

Sub Total: $212.80
Shipping: $10.95
Handling: $1.90
Tax: $14.82
Core: $0.00
Total: $219.19

I just found it. I got them from carpartswholesale.com.

Parts Ordered
1999 - 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Kool Vue Mirror Mirror Price: $106.40 Qty: 1 Part #: DG49ER

1999 - 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Kool Vue Mirror Mirror Price: $106.40 Qty: 1 Part #: DG49EL

Sub Total: $212.80
Shipping: $10.95
Handling: $1.90
Tax: $14.82
Core: $0.00
Total: $219.19

Cool, great news. I feel amost like :sheephump: the sheep :D

Mine vibrate just alittle extended also. I guess mine cost more because the are Mopar parts? I think I will probally get some power ones like yours. Got any pictures of yours?

No. I'll try and take some pictures. I'll try and get some pics of the electrical. I don't have the defrost hooked up yet. I put them on before Thanksgiving and just haven't had time to wire the defrost part. I think I am going to wire them to the rear window defrost button with a relay so it doesn't draw a lot on that switch.

No. I'll try and take some pictures. I'll try and get some pics of the electrical. I don't have the defrost hooked up yet. I put them on before Thanksgiving and just haven't had time to wire the defrost part. I think I am going to wire them to the rear window defrost button with a relay so it doesn't draw a lot on that switch.

I would do them separately, I think you will use the mirrors a lot more than the rear window, and no reason to run that rear defrost just for the mirrors. I'd like those too, when plowing power defrost mirrors are priceless. How far is the viewing range away from the door extended? How much vibration extended? Mine will always be exteneded,. don't need vibrations/rattling.

Back