• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractor/equipment for up to 5 acres

The purchase of a Tractor is easy to justify. It is much more difficult to explain the purchase of a snowmobile.

The only thing more beautiful than a tractor with a trailer is a snowmobile with a trailer. My wife doesn't understand this
Denata gets it. I'm facing no resistance on this purchase. This will probably happen towards the end of next year.

Part of the project, pool replacement and new patio, I cannot do. But grading, laying drainage lines, cutting a driveway and laying paving stones, I can do and I will. I will hire cheap day labor to work with me laying stones, while I cut the end pieces.

With that, try to buy via local / individual sale.

Last I looked at the action sites (about a year ago) while on the hunt for skid steers, it appears that some African countries are still on a buying spree. No, this is not a politically incorrect comment, it is a direct observation. A buddy gave me a heads-up a while ago and I actually ran into a buyer while doing a site-inspection of used military generators. Here is the deal. Apparently import taxes on new equipment for some countries are insane. So foreign buyers hit US auction sites, outbid anybody looking for a deal, outbid anybody looking to pay fair market, outbid anybody who *really* wants the item, and still ends up ahead (for them) after shipping the stuff across the Atlantic as compared to purchase of new equipment. This also inflates the general used market, but it is what it is.

In my case, even well used 3KW generators with mystery fuel in the tank (smelled like an off blend of diesel, and aged) were bid up to within ~5% of new gas models. So I gave-up and bought new with a warranty.

With that, try to buy via local / individual sale.

Last I looked at the action sites (about a year ago) while on the hunt for skid steers, it appears that some African countries are still on a buying spree. No, this is not a politically incorrect comment, it is a direct observation. A buddy gave me a heads-up a while ago and I actually ran into a buyer while doing a site-inspection of used military generators. Here is the deal. Apparently import taxes on new equipment for some countries are insane. So foreign buyers hit US auction sites, outbid anybody looking for a deal, outbid anybody looking to pay fair market, outbid anybody who *really* wants the item, and still ends up ahead (for them) after shipping the stuff across the Atlantic as compared to purchase of new equipment. This also inflates the general used market, but it is what it is.

In my case, even well used 3KW generators with mystery fuel in the tank (smelled like an off blend of diesel, and aged) were bid up to within ~5% of new gas models. So I gave-up and bought new with a warranty.
The local machinery auctions said the same thing.
A lot of their sales are going out of the country

The controls on a mini excavator can get really touchy when running the throttle at anything above half. I never run it that high, usually only at about a third of the way up from idle. All the engine is doing is running the hydraulic pump, everything on the machine is powered by hydraulics including the tracks. I only turn up the throttle when driving from point A to point B. When digging keep the rpms down in the sweet spot below 2k and it should work smoothly for ya. Of course it takes a little time to get used to the controls and which pattern arrangement suits you but it quickly becomes intuitive.

Also remember the central pivot/ swing of the excavator is not meant for pushing anything, only moving through the air with weight in the bucket. The swing bearing seal is an expensive fix and completely avoidable when using the machine properly.

Best deal would be finding a private party selling on marketplace or similar, cash always talks.

On The 2022 Kubota LX2610 small tractor, The controls were so jerky, they were dangerous.
I also hate the foot control on the 2610. It's very hard for me to twist to backup and get my foot on the control. It's also easy to bump the long stick for the loader control.
It would have been far better with a short joystick, like everything else I ever ran.
The trick to stopping it from being jerky, is to run the RPM's up. My wife and daughter have issues with that. After my years of heavy civil construction work, I can control it more. But, even if the throttle is run up about a third, it will help that fluid move through the valve body better.

I agree about that bucket control stick. Also the hydrostatic foot peddle. Reverse is a real pain. I find it's easier to twist to the right but then I hit the stick and will end up tilting the bucket down and dumping part of the bucket load.

$25k for the tractor, bucket, forks, tiller, box blade, post hole digger and a brush hog. Plus the 10 year warranty. I ended up with a straight blade for it for free. And that model does really well around our three acre farm. It sure put the wheel barrow out of a job. I'd like the back hoe for it but can't bring myself to spending the $6k for it. And I really don't want to tick off the shovels. At 24.8hp, it does extremely well and no DEF.

Youbhave a completely different take on it than I do.
The trick to stopping it from being jerky, is to run the RPM's up. My wife and daughter have issues with that. After my years of heavy civil construction work, I can control it more. But, even if the throttle is run up about a third, it will help that fluid move through the valve body better.

I agree about that bucket control stick. Also the hydrostatic foot peddle. Reverse is a real pain. I find it's easier to twist to the right but then I hit the stick and will end up tilting the bucket down and dumping part of the bucket load.

$25k for the tractor, bucket, forks, tiller, box blade, post hole digger and a brush hog. Plus the 10 year warranty. I ended up with a straight blade for it for free. And that model does really well around our three acre farm. It sure put the wheel barrow out of a job. I'd like the back hoe for it but can't bring myself to spending the $6k for it. And I really don't want to tick off the shovels. At 24.8hp, it does extremely well and no DEF.

You Have a completely different take on it than I do.

I find it about worthless.
I'm constantly annoyed with the LX2610
Only 18 hp at the PTO.
Not enough power to pull a tiller wide enough to cover the tracks.
The foot hydrostat control is awful.

I was told by others to try the loader control at idle. Nothing mattered.

I've run a lot of different stuff and never anything as dangerous as that thing.
They must have adjusted something to calm the loader down. It doesn't have much balls. Just a powered wheel barrow. But that's all we use it for. I think it might be a good thing that the loader is calmed down. Much less likely to tear it up.

I've heard of a lot of people breaking the loaders with normal use. They're very light duty.

I also have a hard time getting off of the thing. It's not very comfortable for me.
I would never put a backhoe on one of these unless I got it for free or something.
I've heard the backhoes are also hard on them.

If you want a backhoe, gat an older commercial/ industrial machine. I have a 1975 Ford 3550. I've beat and abused since I got it about year 2000.
I have about $2,400. I don't know the status but one sold not to far away for around $1,000. I posted a link not long ago. There's a bunch of them out there in all the different makes. I've also seen older Deeres and Case sell for reasonable prices.
Not to mention, you'll have a heavier duty loader to go with it.

My wife wanted me to have something that I didn't have to work on.

But equipment has to be maintained by the hours, no matter how new.
Definitely should have never got the belly mower. Biggest pia belly mower I ever saw.

The 1980 John Deere 400 was awesome compared to this thing. I'd never recommend anyone ever get a mid mount mower for a LX2610.

We got the mid mount because I'm not very twisty anymore. We'd have been better off with a bush hog with mirrors and a camera.

They should make front mount mowers for these things.

It's a good thing my wife likes it. I was all for sending it back when we got it. But she insisted we keep it.
I have a friend that bought before I did. He did send his back.

I wish I could find someone to restore/ or just do what needs done for dependability, to an older machine.

I haven't decided if this machine is too big for the horsepower or to under powered for the size - all manufacturers have the same thing going with the size to horsepower issues because of emissions.

My John Deere 400 was 23 hp. But a bunch smaller machine.
The older machines this size had a lot more horsepower.
I'd really rather have an older machine smaller - 400 series sized or a similar sized, little more horsepower pre emissions machine.

I just don't see these things lasting like the older machines - that goes for about everything made these days from stoves to tractors

Sorry for the rant. You don't know how many times I've said, I hate this f'ing thing.
Definitely, every time I grease it.

You Have a completely different take on it than I do.

I find it about worthless.
I'm constantly annoyed with the LX2610
Only 18 hp at the PTO.
Not enough power to pull a tiller wide enough to cover the tracks.
The foot hydrostat control is awful.

I was told by others to try the loader control at idle. Nothing mattered.

I've run a lot of different stuff and never anything as dangerous as that thing.
They must have adjusted something to calm the loader down. It doesn't have much balls. Just a powered wheel barrow. But that's all we use it for. I think it might be a good thing that the loader is calmed down. Much less likely to tear it up.

I've heard of a lot of people breaking the loaders with normal use. They're very light duty.

I also have a hard time getting off of the thing. It's not very comfortable for me.
I would never put a backhoe on one of these unless I got it for free or something.
I've heard the backhoes are also hard on them.

If you want a backhoe, gat an older commercial/ industrial machine. I have a 1975 Ford 3550. I've beat and abused since I got it about year 2000.
I have about $2,400. I don't know the status but one sold not to far away for around $1,000. I posted a link not long ago. There's a bunch of them out there in all the different makes. I've also seen older Deeres and Case sell for reasonable prices.
Not to mention, you'll have a heavier duty loader to go with it.

My wife wanted me to have something that I didn't have to work on.

But equipment has to be maintained by the hours, no matter how new.
Definitely should have never got the belly mower. Biggest pia belly mower I ever saw.

The 1980 John Deere 400 was awesome compared to this thing. I'd never recommend anyone ever get a mid mount mower for a LX2610.

We got the mid mount because I'm not very twisty anymore. We'd have been better off with a bush hog with mirrors and a camera.

They should make front mount mowers for these things.

It's a good thing my wife likes it. I was all for sending it back when we got it. But she insisted we keep it.
I have a friend that bought before I did. He did send his back.

I wish I could find someone to restore/ or just do what needs done for dependability, to an older machine.

I haven't decided if this machine is too big for the horsepower or to under powered for the size - all manufacturers have the same thing going with the size to horsepower issues because of emissions.

My John Deere 400 was 23 hp. But a bunch smaller machine.
The older machines this size had a lot more horsepower.
I'd really rather have an older machine smaller - 400 series sized or a similar sized, little more horsepower pre emissions machine.

I just don't see these things lasting like the older machines - that goes for about everything made these days from stoves to tractors

Sorry for the rant. You don't know how many times I've said, I hate this f'ing thing.
Definitely, every time I grease it.
I didnt get the model with the mid PTO. A waste in my opinion. My PTO is 19.8hp. As for the front mower, you can get one. At least I could. I have the front hydro connections and the removable bucket. One of the biggest reasons I went with the Kubota. There is so many skid attachments that can be used. And, it has a higher HP rating than the JD and NH. As for that Indian made crap, I wouldn't have one. Too much money, short warranty, lower HP, hard attached bucket and the list goes on.

Our mail lady has a old ford back hoe. They pulled it out of a field for a screaming deal of $8k. Got it home and it was junk. They have been trying to get parts for it for several years. Around here (western Oregon) they sell for a crap ton of money. Even an old beat up one is still up there. Plus I don't have a place for it to sit out of the weather. I also wouldn't use it much around the farm and to put it to work around town, I'd need a truck and trailer to haul it. So, not worth it to have one.

All in all, that little Kubota is better than so much else out there. I know the guy across the street is a deere fan and hates his deere that is in the same class.

I didnt get the model with the mid PTO. A waste in my opinion. My PTO is 19.8hp. As for the front mower, you can get one. At least I could. I have the front hydro connections and the removable bucket. One of the biggest reasons I went with the Kubota. There is so many skid attachments that can be used. And, it has a higher HP rating than the JD and NH. As for that Indian made crap, I wouldn't have one. Too much money, short warranty, lower HP, hard attached bucket and the list goes on.

Our mail lady has a old ford back hoe. They pulled it out of a field for a screaming deal of $8k. Got it home and it was junk. They have been trying to get parts for it for several years. Around here (western Oregon) they sell for a crap ton of money. Even an old beat up one is still up there. Plus I don't have a place for it to sit out of the weather. I also wouldn't use it much around the farm and to put it to work around town, I'd need a truck and trailer to haul it. So, not worth it to have one.

All in all, that little Kubota is better than so much else out there. I know the guy across the street is a deere fan and hates his deere that is in the same class.
Tell me about the front mower option?

I have front hydro connections and quicktach bucket.

Back