• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractor/equipment for up to 5 acres

A mini tractor is a more versatile thing. You can remove the snow, plow the garden, and haul in the logs.
It's my Iseki 17hp.
Screenshot_20231127_180429_edit_153302965797247.jpgScreenshot_20231113_200516.jpg

I used a couple small tractors, and several backhoes and other large equipment.
If you are working in a restricted space where you can damage a building or something- get a small one. Otherwise, get something like a used 580c case backhoe.

They are super common, easy to operate, always in demand so resell is not a problem.
In fact with your open schedule for reselling at will, mechanical ability, paint gun, etc you can pick one up and when finished do some clean up and make a profit rather than loss on it.

There is a reason almost no professional will use a lawn tractor and uses a backhoe instead. When something smaller is required a skid steer is almost always used instead.
A small hole is better dug with a controlled spade shovel in 2 partial scoops than using a spoon all day.

Owners of Japanese mini tractors with a spoon: - “A samurai has no goal, only a path”

Last edited:
I used a couple small tractors, and several backhoes and other large equipment.
If you are working in a restricted space where you can damage a building or something- get a small one. Otherwise, get something like a used 580c case backhoe.

They are super common, easy to operate, always in demand so resell is not a problem.
In fact with your open schedule for reselling at will, mechanical ability, paint gun, etc you can pick one up and when finished do some clean up and make a profit rather than loss on it.

There is a reason almost no professional will use a lawn tractor and uses a backhoe instead. When something smaller is required a skid steer is almost always used instead.
A small hole is better dug with a controlled spade shovel in 2 partial scoops than using a spoon all day.
I like the idea of the Case 580 backhoe, but can I get a grader attachment?

@jrsavoie the no emissions before 2015 applies to mid size diesel engines, I forget where the cutoff is but I think it's anything over 25 hp?

Which is why you'll see lots of diesel garden tractors like the Kubota BX series at 24 hp, just under the cutoff for emissions

@denata I agree that a small tractor is more useful for a homestead. My first tractor was an Iseki TX1300F. Could do a lot with the little 15hp 4x4 diesel.

But for @Big T he's just planning on an excavation and grading job and then planning on selling the machine. Which is why I recommended the mini excavator. Just my personal experience and opinion

@jrsavoie the no emissions before 2015 applies to mid size diesel engines, I forget where the cutoff is but I think it's anything over 25 hp?

Which is why you'll see lots of diesel garden tractors like the Kubota BX series at 24 hp, just under the cutoff for emissions

@denata I agree that a small tractor is more useful for a homestead. My first tractor was an Iseki TX1300F. Could do a lot with the little 15hp 4x4 diesel.

But for @Big T he's just planning on an excavation and grading job and then planning on selling the machine. Which is why I recommended the mini excavator. Just my personal experience and opinion
Every excavator I’ve seen just has a back hoe.

I also want to dig, grade and lay foundation for a Pole barn out back in Fullerton. Would have to dig another 150’ trench for power back from home to barn. Also dig trenches to lay large drainage pipe on both side of property. Also dig trench for footing for brick and wrought iron wall/fence/gates across the front of the property.

The front blade on a mini excavator is very useful for grading. It has a float function just like that on a loader. Some have an angle blade feature which is extra nice for grading a taper. I've done numerous driveway jobs with the excavator. Plus a 3' wide smooth edge bucket is amazing for grading, more precise than using a loader as you can tilt the machine with the front blade

1703701996589.jpeg

The excavator is just so much quicker for trenching which is why I'd prefer it over a backhoe. There's advantages to both machines and you can't go wrong with either. Just sharing what my approach would be if it was my task to tackle.

I have a narrow, 10’ wide, 100’ long section along the west side of the house that I need to grade with a slope away from the house. Also need to trench and install drain pipe. I will try renting a mini excavator for this.

Every excavator I’ve seen just has a back hoe.

I also want to dig, grade and lay foundation for a Pole barn out back in Fullerton. Would have to dig another 150’ trench for power back from home to barn. Also dig trenches to lay large drainage pipe on both side of property. Also dig trench for footing for brick and wrought iron wall/fence/gates across the front of the property.
Depends on how much room you have and what you can find deals on.

Sometimes you can have 4 good pieces of equipment for less than the price of one new.

If you see a bargain mini. I'd like to have one. And a 60' jlg.

You can get some very good machines for under 10 grand each.

I recently saw, what looked to be a decent older 580 in the $5,500 range.

The front blade on a mini excavator is very useful for grading. It has a float function just like that on a loader. Some have an angle blade feature which is extra nice for grading a taper. I've done numerous driveway jobs with the excavator. Plus a 3' wide smooth edge bucket is amazing for grading, more precise than using a loader as you can tilt the machine with the front blade

View attachment 85446

The excavator is just so much quicker for trenching which is why I'd prefer it over a backhoe. There's advantages to both machines and you can't go wrong with either. Just sharing what my approach would be if it was my task to tackle.
What model Kubota is that? I have plenty of room for it.

The model I pictured is the same I own, a KX91-3. Roughly 3.5-4 ton machine. If you can get one with the angle blade feature it's well worth having for pushing stuff around. The newer model equivalent would be a U-35 or KX-040

Have you run a mini before? Few small tips to make the job easier- always make sure the blade is on the downhill side, that way you can use the blade to lift up and level the machine so you're working in a level/ flat plane

even wen digging on flat ground, lift the front of the machine up with the blade a little bit. The machine won't rock and the blade will dig in instead of pulling you forward if you get hooked on a good rock or root

On the Kubotas at least pushing the blade lever all the way forward somewhat quickly until it clicks engages the float feature- the blade will ride up and down on the terrain somewhat. This is great for grading something off, and it works much better when going backwards. Dragging with the float yields a superior finish than trying to push. It also smooths over your tracks if you're going for a super clean end result like a lawn.

The model I pictured is the same I own, a KX91-3. Roughly 3.5-4 ton machine. If you can get one with the angle blade feature it's well worth having for pushing stuff around. The newer model equivalent would be a U-35 or KX-040

Have you run a mini before? Few small tips to make the job easier- always make sure the blade is on the downhill side, that way you can use the blade to lift up and level the machine so you're working in a level/ flat plane

even wen digging on flat ground, lift the front of the machine up with the blade a little bit. The machine won't rock and the blade will dig in instead of pulling you forward if you get hooked on a good rock or root

On the Kubotas at least pushing the blade lever all the way forward somewhat quickly until it clicks engages the float feature- the blade will ride up and down on the terrain somewhat. This is great for grading something off, and it works much better when going backwards. Dragging with the float yields a superior finish than trying to push. It also smooths over your tracks if you're going for a super clean end result like a lawn.
I’ve run a Bobcat and a Kubota tractor with scoop and backhoe. Never have run a mini excavator, but I will soon find out.

The mini excavators have a tendency to be extra sensitive on the controls compared to the larger ones. So watch out until you get used to it
It seems the older equipment I ran was less jerky - except the hoe on my 1975 Ford backhoe.

The older mini's 1980 - 2000 - that I ran, were pretty smooth.

On The 2022 Kubota LX2610 small tractor, The controls were so jerky, they were dangerous.
I also hate the foot control on the 2610. It's very hard for me to twist to backup and get my foot on the control. It's also easy to bump the long stick for the loader control.
It would have been far better with a short joystick, like everything else I ever ran.

Admit it Big T, you just want to play with some toys. And the project is the excuse so that the wife doesn't object :)
The purchase of a Tractor is easy to justify. It is much more difficult to explain the purchase of a snowmobile.

The only thing more beautiful than a tractor with a trailer is a snowmobile with a trailer. My wife doesn't understand this

Back