• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tractor/equipment for up to 5 acres

I thought there were mid PTOs for old John Deere 4010's and 4020's

The only thing I know about the JD brand is 'Nothing runs like a Deere'. To the dealer, to be repaired, on the back of a truck. The only ones I've operated were the older 4444 and bigger ones for Hop irrigation, back in the early 90's. They did ok but were better suited as diving boards by running them into the river up to the back wheels and jumping in off the hood.

IMG_2669.pngIMG_2665.pngI put a deposit on this tractor at $16K with 1,000 hours. It was a rental that was professionally maintained. Separately, a seller is holding the B75 backhoe for me at $5.5K. It is new, but had been sitting out the past 3 years in the dealer’s yard. My wife will complete the purchases next week.

Last edited:
View attachment 87211View attachment 87212I put a deposit on this tractor at $16K with 1,000 hours. It was a rental that was professionally maintained. Separately, a seller is holding the B75 backhoe for me at $5.5K. It is new, but had been sitting out the past 3 years in the dealer’s yard. My wife will complete the purchases next week.
Cant beat those Yanmar engines. The backhoe is the one attachment I wish I had picked up when I got ours. I have seen used ones in the few hundred range and they are beat up bad. Good deal.

Cant beat those Yanmar engines. The backhoe is the one attachment I wish I had picked up when I got ours. I have seen used ones in the few hundred range and they are beat up bad. Good deal.
Good friend repowered a Bertram 28 Fly Bridge Sportfisher from gas to diesel years ago. He put in twin Yanmar 230 hp engines. Last I talked to him (about boats) they had over 8,000 hours on them.

I had been bidding at Ritchie Bros on used Yanmar SA 424 tractors that were former HD Rentals. Saw one in Texas with backhoe go for $7,750 and another go for $8,000, both with about 800 to 1000 hours. Then when the auctions got to California and Washington, the prices soared to $11K to $12K for the same ones, plus the auction fee, taxes and transportation costs. SA 424 is a 24 hp tractor. I had rented one and it did have its power limitations. Like I had to hire someone with a Case 580 to get a large stump out. So more research pushed me to a larger tractor, which will cover all my needs.

Last edited:
From what I heard the tractor is the same as a John Deere
The smaller John Deere tractors all use a Yanmar motor. As far as the rest of the tractor I can’t say. I do know that people complain that the attachments for Deere implements are unique, which forces you to buy from Deere.

That B75 backhoe is made by Woods in the USA and is used on a number of tractor brands including Kubota.

The smaller John Deere tractors all use a Yanmar motor. As far as the rest of the tractor I can’t say. I do know that people complain that the attachments for Deere implements are unique, which forces you to buy from Deere.

That B75 backhoe is made by Woods in the USA and is used on a number of tractor brands including Kubota.

Good friend repowered a Bertram 28 Fly Bridge Sportfisher from gas to diesel years ago. He put in twin Yanmar 230 hp engines. Last I talked to him (about boats) they had over 8,000 hours on them.

I've looked at the Yanmar engine as a repower for ours. Two of the 4 cyl engines would put me in the same horse power range as the two 4.3l V6's. So I could keep and use the outdrives. But I'd also free up space in the bilge. Boat yoga is hard on me these days. Extra room would be nice. I hear they last forever in the marine world. Ours is a 33' OAL express cruiser.

I've looked at the Yanmar engine as a repower for ours. Two of the 4 cyl engines would put me in the same horse power range as the two 4.3l V6's. So I could keep and use the outdrives. But I'd also free up space in the bilge. Boat yoga is hard on me these days. Extra room would be nice. I hear they last forever in the marine world. Ours is a 33' OAL express cruiser.
I got an update from my friend with the Bertram 28 and the four cylinder Yanmar 230 hp engines now have 8,200 hours on them. They are work horse engines.

The only real problem with the Yanmar in a marine application is they reduce the overall speed. Doing the math to re-prop a boat isn't that hard, it's just you have to go through a few props to get it right. Counter rotation props get spendy and when your buying several of them, it's outlandish.

123_1.jpeg123_1.jpeg123_1.jpegThe only real problem with the Yanmar in a marine application is they reduce the overall speed. Doing the math to re-prop a boat isn't that hard, it's just you have to go through a few props to get it right. Counter rotation props get spendy and when your buying several of them, it's outlandish.
His Bertram 28 does not lack for speed. I think it cruises at 23 knots. Guy is an expert fisherman.

23kts would be slow for my express cruiser. My top speed, on plane, trimmed good, is 36.5kts and 3800rpm. Wide open throttle is at 4300rpm. So propping it out to get close to that would be the pain. 23kts is 26.42mph while my 36.5 is 42mph

23kts would be slow for my express cruiser. My top speed, on plane, trimmed good, is 36.5kts and 3800rpm. Wide open throttle is at 4300rpm. So propping it out to get close to that would be the pain. 23kts is 26.42mph while my 36.5 is 42mph
What is your specific boat? Yes there are trade offs in speed going from gas to diesel, but you gain significantly in fuel consumption.

I repowered a Conch 27 from single Volvo KAD 44 diesel I/O (engine failure), to twin Yamaha F200 outboards on a bracket. The diesel would burn 10 to 12 gallons per hour (3 mpg) at a cruise speed of 22 knots (more than fast enough on salt). Top speed was right at 30 knots. The outboards cruise at 30 mph with a top speed of 50 mph. Cruise mpg is 2.5. Reality, it’s hard to go more than 22 to 24 knots most days.

Back