• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

    Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

    Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

    Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time for some rust repair on the Tahoe.

n8in8or

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,620
Likes
2,869
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Thread starter #128
Driver side cargo area floor is done.

7C532194-70EB-44AD-8388-A11E8FE521F9.jpeg 7D08E622-EB5B-4138-9542-A5DE2C5423E5.jpeg

Next I fixed the rear frame crossmember that was rusted through from the foam between the crossmember and gas tank trapping moisture.

6FFF34CC-9413-4431-82E8-4B891612F466.jpeg 5F97F689-8B82-44E9-AE61-DC5D1AF4CE2E.jpeg B658BD48-AB4C-4976-B5CD-5969561342DE.jpeg DD3A4E7C-1044-480F-9210-56F54ECA6E29.jpeg

Now I’m working on the passenger side. The damage is spread out a lot less, but it went a bit deeper because the crossmember was also roached. So next I’ll be rebuilding that and then fixing the floor.

E25B2660-58DB-4F5D-AF9D-3C40C6A0465C.jpeg BC8E9C4D-534C-4243-AA76-5A2009BE3EAB.jpeg 134B0E21-3ED0-43F3-A1AC-9ACF47CADEDA.jpeg
 

n8in8or

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,620
Likes
2,869
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Thread starter #129
I got the passenger side fixed today. First I made a new patch section for the crossmember.

85DA7798-5587-49E6-86B3-A5CFAB3BD830.jpeg 1041BF71-6E8B-492B-914B-5D1D95D9CD1E.jpeg 3349F6CF-9ADF-478F-BE5F-F5E51870AD45.jpeg 93EF9BE7-047C-4A9D-9582-83A264F26295.jpeg

Once it was welded in I painted Rust Seal on the internal surfaces for future protection. No picture of the paint unfortunately.

DE340BAC-4AAA-45BC-BF78-96C259938AD0.jpeg 7015A2AD-891C-4636-A7B6-1EE8DB7A1864.jpeg D684D219-5EC8-45A4-B9A0-A653AD596938.jpeg

I also patched a small section of floor further up.

7B523291-1E59-42B7-9FF2-89292095D304.jpeg
 

n8in8or

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,620
Likes
2,869
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Thread starter #130
Then I made patch panels for the floor.

E0DADDBE-0CB0-4F94-AF5C-7D6076CE763D.jpeg

Here are views all around the repair.

292BA3F3-F2CE-4D4E-B5E3-A92D4309EC53.jpeg C0A8CF10-07CE-4CA0-8185-B6DFA9CC43F2.jpeg 4250B54E-7B80-4C93-AC56-4C9091C19A73.jpeg FC5F35A4-7EA2-4BAA-A38B-E91CCD345F90.jpeg

Unfortunately while admiring the finished job I found more pin holes in the floor. I thought I was done, but it looks like I have another week to go. Ugh.
 

n8in8or

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,620
Likes
2,869
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Thread starter #132
Finally wrapped up floor repairs this weekend. All of the patches are complete.

1BEF7431-FBBD-40DE-9F1F-9E71102BB197.jpeg FB59F806-0EAA-44E7-A767-7DE097DE8281.jpeg 86EEFB62-706F-40E3-8940-15814E000BDB.jpeg

Today I applied the KBS Rust Blast to the underside just to make sure that the rust was taken care of and the fresh sheet metal was etched for optimal paint adhesion. I had 1 gallon and 1 quart of the product, but I wished I had 2 gallons - you are supposed to keep the product wet while it’s working and I didn’t have any left to keep misting on it. So I misted a little water on it for a few minutes, but then I started rinsing it with water after that. I probably got 30 minutes of soaking time, but I really wanted to do it for 60 minutes. Oh well, you can sure see the zinc phosphate coating that it deposited on the metal.

9927C5F9-8233-4486-A80D-AC6C03319DF6.jpeg 02837E51-7FCA-4D16-916A-C99105BF00B9.jpeg 64233207-EE72-4815-A84D-B9F6EA25308F.jpeg E6DC62EE-53AB-48AE-B535-AD4E34539A5A.jpeg 82CCCC82-3274-4A57-A149-6D3D8E096D6E.jpeg

This week is prep work so I can paint the underside next Saturday. That will be a big step!
 

n8in8or

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,620
Likes
2,869
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Thread starter #138
Tonight I did some axle prep. A couple of the brake line retainer tabs had broken off so the fix I came up with was to grind them off and weld tapped blocks to the axle. I bought some stainless steel tabs that will clamp the brake line down to the blocks. I think it will look kind of trick when it goes back together.

6E871D96-4B3E-4B47-8940-0E37ACF09F43.jpeg 652C742F-2E94-4A93-9A4D-928E388AA947.jpeg 624FE8F1-4B95-46C6-A1C5-125B4B616C24.jpeg
 
Top