• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tie rod sleeves

Moog problem solvers are generally stronger and resistant to breakage much better. But the greasable ones will wear out much quicker if not being greased. The huge grease channels they cut into it cause the grease to go through and lube much better- like large oil journals for crankshafts. Thats how they can last longer. But when they run dry- things go wrong in a hurry.

The large grease journals are also why they survive water crossings much better.

I like the "Amsoil anvil smack test" to evaluate chassis type applications.

Any grease is better than no grease. Food for thought Amsoil seems to beat Lucas's Red and Tacky's hands down on this youtube video. I don't' know if its any trickery with grease temperature or anything but the test seems pretty conclusive.

I reluctantly had to stop doing boosted launches. After I got through fixxing all my carnage, the misses saud no more. Can't blame her when I bent a tie rod sleeve, twisted a driveshaft, and split my dash right down the middle.

When we get older, just getting from A to B reliably is what it's all about.

This is a bit of a derailment of this thread, but since I mentioned the dirt drags at the beginning I figured I might as well roll with it here.

Well.....as of right now I may or may not be drag racing. Last night I was hammering the truck pretty good on back roads while I worked on optimizing the transmission tune. About half way through I developed a bit of a rough idle. Today the idle wasn’t any better, but I noticed that it ran fine above 1000rpm and didn’t seem to be down on power. Interesting. I also started to notice the smell of raw diesel.....hmmmm. I popped the hood and started looking around. Hey! What’s that shiny stuff in the valley of the engine!?

I looked further and found a leak at a line at the pump. Loose line? Cracked line? Not sure, but I guess I’m digging into it tonight. I think I have a spare set of DB2 lines lying around so even if it’s a cracked line, hopefully I’ll be back up and running.

Here’s a pic, but you can’t really see the leak. 3BD9E432-AEA3-4115-A72B-DC482C8FF5C6.jpeg

This is a bit of a derailment of this thread, but since I mentioned the dirt drags at the beginning I figured I might as well roll with it here.

Well.....as of right now I may or may not be drag racing. Last night I was hammering the truck pretty good on back roads while I worked on optimizing the transmission tune. About half way through I developed a bit of a rough idle. Today the idle wasn’t any better, but I noticed that it ran fine above 1000rpm and didn’t seem to be down on power. Interesting. I also started to notice the smell of raw diesel.....hmmmm. I popped the hood and started looking around. Hey! What’s that shiny stuff in the valley of the engine!?

I looked further and found a leak at a line at the pump. Loose line? Cracked line? Not sure, but I guess I’m digging into it tonight. I think I have a spare set of DB2 lines lying around so even if it’s a cracked line, hopefully I’ll be back up and running.

Here’s a pic, but you can’t really see the leak. View attachment 52993

Oh joy. Those injector lines need to be seated just right, or they leak. I've take to testing them without the manifold on to save on that removal/install work.

Found the leaker. It was one of the lines I could reach with the intake on, but the fitting wasn’t loose....so off came the intake. I tried loosening and retightening the line and still it leaked. This is the first time I had ever run the engine with the intake off - the exhaust from the heat riser scared the crap out of me!! I thought I had some seriously leaking intake valves until I realized what was going on.

Luckily I found a spare line set. I compared the ends and it looked like some goon (me) overtightened the fittings. Here’s the set I took off:
24B00EA3-104A-4059-8028-8956B7CE197E.jpeg

Here’s the set I had in stock:
31587F48-9894-4B33-8847-99B0A1BC7291.jpeg
They really were a lot better despite how it looks in the pic.

I wonder if that burr could be ground off of the line set and it could be re-used? I’m going to save it for just in case. Coincidentally (or rather NOT coincidentally I’m sure) I found the screw missing from the line retention bracket on that same line set a couple weeks ago. I have no idea how long it had been missing, but I’m sure it’s no coincidence.

With the new lines on it runs much better and doesn’t leak. Tomorrow I’ll put the intake back on and be good to go!

I got it back together tonight. Everything is good, but I took it for a drive and the first time I got on it the elbow blew off the intake. I forgot that last time I put this together I had to clean it really well and use hairspray as an adhesive. So I took the intercooler back apart and cleaned it and sprayed hairspray on the connections. I thought about making a brace in the past, but for some reason it seemed tricky.....tonight the solution seemed obvious. So I found a piece of aluminum flat stock and made a quick bracket. This should stop further blow-outs by holding it down to the upper intake.

EF93E71D-826B-4AE8-AAFF-3E87B7908631.jpeg

Weather willing, I will be racing tomorrow. If so, I will start a new post in the competition section.

Back