• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running Too Much Boost, And Blew A Head Gasket.

I try not to stock them, but I just ordered a set for my engine an hour ago, if you want me to have a set here to pick up let me know asap and I might get it on the same order.

To late! I ordered them just incase I did not hear from you. Its no problem and no obligation on you. I sell them pretty regular and it was no extra shipping to have them add one more set. So they'll be here if you tell me you want them.

Cleaned up the decks on the block today, and chased all the head bolt threads. I inspected the block closely, particularly in the area the gasket blew. It has very slight imperfections, but nothing like what the head had in the pics I posted earlier. Here are a couple pics.

Matt

Attachments

• P1300285 (1024x768).jpg
    P1300285 (1024x768).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P1300287 (1024x768).jpg
    P1300287 (1024x768).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1300290 (1024x768).jpg
    P1300290 (1024x768).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P1300292 (1024x768).jpg
    P1300292 (1024x768).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 16
Gee Matt, Im surprised an energetic guy like you hasn't got out the bbcue, Muggy 77 eletrodes and some Lock N Stitch yet LOL
What a drag!!Engine was looking good. You gonna pull the pan off for shits and giggles. I think it worth a look and you can nudge the bolts. Be interesting to see how the 3/4 inch crack did.

Gee Matt, Im surprised an energetic guy like you hasn't got out the bbcue, Muggy 77 eletrodes and some Lock N Stitch yet LOL
What a drag!!Engine was looking good. You gonna pull the pan off for shits and giggles. I think it worth a look and you can nudge the bolts. Be interesting to see how the 3/4 inch crack did.

Nice vids for sure!

I don't believe the heads can be properly repaired with the crack going through the valve seat, and continuing down into the bowl. Now Lock N Stitch makes some very nice inserts for the mains on our 6.5's, but the tooling is very expensive. I would really just like to get an Optimizer, but that will have to wait as well. I considered pulling the engine, and having a look at the mains, but I'm afraid if I saw substantial growth in my crack, or new ones that have appeared, that I would loose the motivation to put my engine back together. Sometimes, I find this saying to be very true. "Ignorance is bliss".:D

I look forward to seeing progress :)

I just finished ordering the heads, so things are under way. I ordered bare heads, since I already have two complete cylinder head assembly kits. I'll probably use my T pre cups as well, since they're better quality. I'll get my studs from Leroy, and my +.010 Felpro's from Orielly's.

Matt

Attachments

• 20150131_214408 (576x1024).jpg
    20150131_214408 (576x1024).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1280284 (1024x768).jpg
    P1280284 (1024x768).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5
I was less than thrilled when I wire brushed them and seen the hairline cracks in them. If i had seen the cracks, I would have scrapped them years ago. I've got all the valve train pieces still as well as the valves, springs, retainers, and keepers. Need to get off my duff and check the block out and see if it's gone or not, getting tired of storing this stuff, and if it's junk it might as well go to the scrap pile.

Well, Fermantor contacted me today, and said that upon closer inspection, both heads are indeed cracked, so it looks like I will be the Guinea Pig for the "improved" China castings. :rolleyes: Thanks for checking them out for me Ferm. :)

Matt

I don't know how many of you use waterless coolant and perhaps will chime in. I've been digging about how well EVANS protects diesel and high performance gas motors and it appears there is a good track record even in the aviation industry. I have become a believer that waterless coolant is the key to reduce and or prevent most of the damage seen on the 6.5td mainly by removing the water which has so many problems associated with its use.
I was less than thrilled when I wire brushed them and seen the hairline cracks in them. If i had seen the cracks, I would have scrapped them years ago. I've got all the valve train pieces still as well as the valves, springs, retainers, and keepers. Need to get off my duff and check the block out and see if it's gone or not, getting tired of storing this stuff, and if it's junk it might as well go to the scrap pile.

Yep, things have a way of piling up and forgotten at times.

I just finished ordering the heads, so things are under way. I ordered bare heads, since I already have two complete cylinder head assembly kits. I'll probably use my T pre cups as well, since they're better quality. I'll get my studs from Leroy, and my +.010 Felpro's from Orielly's.

Matt
This is good, and we'll find out just how good the asian heads are!

With the Evans, is there any direct comparison of temperature you can tell us? Something like: on a particular road/hill you always drive it would climb to 215, but now it does "x".

My other thought is for my off roading- my windshield washer tank has a tiny breather hole and leaks out when I go at angles. I know your supposed to drill a hole in the radiator cap for Evans, and I'm gonna leak out there like the windshield fluid. I am trying to figure a double p trap set up to solve that, but nothing came to mind I like.

I left my over flow tank there and got a different cap that didn't go to the bottom part of the radiator cap area , kept the coolant going to & from the over flow tank with no psi..

Back