• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rock auto order problem

The rental kits have a adapter that is close enough to use, it's more than pulling it on with the bolt. And once you get it seated all the way in, the torque spec is around 220ft lbs, you will need to hold the flywheel or figure out how to hold the crank still while you torque the bolt... and use plenty of antiseze on the bolt & balancer so it will come off again some day..

You have me confused BT farm... How do we get a discount from RockAuto through this site when I go to the vendors and click on the button it just takes me to their regular home page

You have to put in the forums discount code

Hmm...better stay on sisters good side.. I've got a bad idea that I'm going to need her alot if I'm going to start ordering parts online all the time....evidetly she understands all the promo code and stuff ...

She's awesome ..just love messing with her...I'm big brother its my job... And I take it very seriously..lol..

One thing I love about all the guys on this form...you can tell by talking to them that everybody here is family oriented... That says a lot about the guys that hang out on here

She is a whole lot better. She got the pic line tube out of her arm the other day and she don’t have to be on the high dollar medicine anymore. They did a blood test the other day when we were there and we are waiting for them to schedule us a appointment to see the infectious control doctor. It looks like she is good to go as long as the infectious disease doctor likes what she sees. We just have to watch out for headaches. If she has any we are supposed to call them right away

That's awesome!!! So glad to hear it .. proves prayers do get answered...she's had a crew of Yankees up her keeping her in the front of God's mind .. and I know many of the guys on here have been doing the same... Always a sigh of relief when the doctors give you some good news and you start seeing things getting better...

When you go to put the new balancer back on the factory bolt won’t be long enough to pull the balancer on. If it does by chance screw in there won’t be enough threads to safely get the balancer on without stripping the threads in the crank. That’s where the install kit comes in handy. The adapter is pretty much a longer bolt to let you get the balancer seated then you take it out and use the factory bolt.

Yeah I did the front main seal (kinda) when I did both pulleys. My buddy owns his own shop so he actually had the seal put in before I got there. When I found out that none of the parts houses around here had the right size adapter I took it to his shop and left it there while me and the family went into town and he had the old pulleys off and the seal in when I got there. He wasn’t supposed to do the work he was going to let me borrow his stuff but I guess he got bored.

I’m going to just buy a longer M16x1.5 bolt for the next time I have to do the pulleys.

I just tapped the HB on with a plastic mallet

I just tapped the HB on with a plastic mallet

I probably could have done that with mine. When I put mine on, the crank bolt would thread a couple threads but I didn’t want to chance it so we used my buddies install kit that he has

Fair enough... Just personal opinion.. they should offer an option where you can order by phone for a $5 fee... I'm sure many people would be more than willing... And my apologies I should not have titled it that way but frustration gets to me..

It's a generational thing.. I'd pay $5 more to order online. It's fast, and I don't have to waste 10-15 mins telling the agent (that hates their job and wants off the phone ASAP) what I want and then validate the part, give my CC#, then pass along my address and info. Online ordering so streamlined now, I'm not sure what I'd do without it at this point. It's just overall a more efficient and smoother process.

Hammering the balancer on has been linked to broken crankshafts in other engines. I seen somebody snap a small block chevy crank tapping a balancer on, never again for me. I don't even like tapping the timing chain sprocket on now.

Worked perfectly fine on my 1999. Just enough to get bolt threaded in and used the bolt the rest of the way. I did say tap, not gorilla mash it on

Guilty, from other engines and these. I have done it and had no issues, and I have done it with devistating results. I don’t do it anymore. Hammering on the crank transfers the load from the crank to the already weak and crappy middle main cap via the thrust bearing. Sound like I am worried about the main cap cracking worse? Yup. But did you catch the part of you are applying the impact force directly to a bearing surface?

You might get away with it, might not. When I did it it was never a big monster hammer swinging for the fence. Rubber mallet. And obviously not on the outer ring of the balancer. Can I prove the damage was from that? No. Can’t prove it wasn’t either.

I see it like buying insurance for what is known to already be proven danger zone on these engines.

Take the bolt with you to the auto parts stores that loan out the tools to see if they have the right thread.

Leroy rents one out.

Hink makes a low cost one he sells on his Facebook

Or go buy a long bolt, or chunk of treaded rod, a nut, and a few flat washers with grease between washers. If at a junkyard, snag an extra bolt to chop in half and weld extender in there.

Just not worth the risk imo

She is a whole lot better. She got the pic line tube out of her arm the other day and she don’t have to be on the high dollar medicine anymore. They did a blood test the other day when we were there and we are waiting for them to schedule us a appointment to see the infectious control doctor. It looks like she is good to go as long as the infectious disease doctor likes what she sees. We just have to watch out for headaches. If she has any we are supposed to call them right away

Really is great news, @Jaryd , the best news of the week.

If you all need anything just holler at us.

They both are on ebay from several different sellers and that is the correct part numbers...

Keep in mind you should have a balancer puller & installer tool to do the job without risk of damaging the crank threads.. the crank bolt size is M16X1.5, most rental tools won't have that size adapter..

Yup!
That's why I made my own. : )>

Back