• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rock auto order problem

If you need an M16x1.5 bolt long enough, try Fastenal. It's amazing what they have in stock in their stores or can get in from their warehouse(s) next day.

FYI, I read a couple weeks ago at a Fastenal store that they won’t be dealing with the public much longer. The paper didn’t have a date for when it’s going into affect. It pretty much said that you have to have a commercial account with them to do business there whenever this goes into affect.

This will hurt a lot of DIY people I believe

Looking at the title, sounds like there is no problem with RA.
It is a problem with a user not comfortable ordering online. LOL!!!

Generally, I have never had any issue with ordering from RA.
Their Application/Part no. finder is easy to use (you can do add to cart directly) and accurate.
I have used it even when I am not buying from them to check prices, etc.
Also, they don't charge taxes for most item to texas.

There is always a 5% discount, although it is not big but better than nothing.
In some cases, it covers or almost cover the shipping.

FYI, I read a couple weeks ago at a Fastenal store that they won’t be dealing with the public much longer. The paper didn’t have a date for when it’s going into affect. It pretty much said that you have to have a commercial account with them to do business there whenever this goes into affect.

This will hurt a lot of DIY people I believe
I have always used my long-defunct business's name/account with many wholesale suppliers like electrical supply houses, etc. for personal purchases. Didn't know that Fastenal is going that route. I'll have to stop in and ask about that at the one here.

Yes, I posted the Fastenal thing. Starting here in Nv, then Cali next. IF the program has good results, it will go nation wide.
So go scream now before it happens. I deleted the pic on my phone, but it is on a thread somewhere here mentioning for shipping option.

If I have to go back to Fastenal I’ll take a picture of the paper and post it

Have a little faith in rock auto, their fitment is very accurate if you pay attention to RPO codes and know all your vehicle specs (aka dont order 10,11, or 12K GVWR 3500 stuff for your 15K GVWR 3500.

The ONLY time I have had an issue is exhaust manifold donut gaskets, for some reason they are offering a too small gasket in addition to the correct ones. Otherwise I have only made one mistake, and it was my fault (too small of upper a-arm bushing for the Cab and chassis C3500. IIRC its like 2 MM bigger than the pickup.)

If you are careful and double check everything, you will do fine!

Also, fight the desire to save money by spending the least amount. you will end up spending more to make it right. :) Some of the cheapest parts offerings are going to be very low grade.

I totally agree about not cutting corners on cost... My problem with ordering stuff is that if I get the part and I take the truck apart and the part is not correct ..I am screwed..I do not have another vehicle to drive and I do not know anybody that will loan me one.. and because I very much so live paycheck to paycheck three or four days out of work would make us homeless..I just prefer to be able to talk to a person that can cross reference things and ask all the questions to make dang sure it is right. But I'm starting to think that I must be still living in the Stone age

That's why I say they should have an option where you can place your order with a live representative for an additional $5 on your bill or whatever cost they think necessary.. I know a lot of guys on here and everywhere ROK with just electronically ordering their parts... But if they had that option I guarantee that phone would ring a lot..and the guys that are okay with doing it the electronic way would save some money the rest of us would pay a little extra.. it was just a thought

Since they set it up as a computer ordering enterprise that has minimal employees in the 1st place and do a great job at it, I seriously doubt they would be interested in all that comes with the additional employees and regulatory BS that entails.

Assuming that the employee that will answer the call is knowledgeable, then that is good.
But most of the time, the employee knows less than you. LOL!!!

A competent employee will add more than $5 to the cost of that phone call.

Also, the employee have no way of confirming that you order the right part or not since he/she will not have access to the warehouse to begin with. He/she will only have access to the same Application database you have access to.

Yes, I agree you don't want the cheapest part.
I help friend a lot with buying parts and I always get the Denso sensors for Toyota or ACDelco for this truck.
The key is I don't go with the cheapest brand sensor and fortunately, RA still has the most economical price because they don't charge taxes and the shipping is still reasonable with the 5% discount code (not much but better than nothing).

I totally agree about not cutting corners on cost... My problem with ordering stuff is that if I get the part and I take the truck apart and the part is not correct ..I am screwed..I do not have another vehicle to drive and I do not know anybody that will loan me one.. and because I very much so live paycheck to paycheck three or four days out of work would make us homeless..I just prefer to be able to talk to a person that can cross reference things and ask all the questions to make dang sure it is right. But I'm starting to think that I must be still living in the Stone age

That's why I say they should have an option where you can place your order with a live representative for an additional $5 on your bill or whatever cost they think necessary.. I know a lot of guys on here and everywhere ROK with just electronically ordering their parts... But if they had that option I guarantee that phone would ring a lot..and the guys that are okay with doing it the electronic way would save some money the rest of us would pay a little extra.. it was just a thought

Good number of us, myself included, have to be "Frugal" now and then. Yeah, one vehicle and it got to run. Used to be it had to run by 2AM to make the delivery route. AZ alternator because it blew one on the way to the AZ parking lot and ran 50 miles with no working alt while delivering parts there... Later the AZ krap bearings in the rebuild unit lost it's balls and nearly caught fire - was smoking bad enough... Was the only one in stock for 250 miles.

In the above example and IMO your example "mail order" may not be right for you. Shipping time and returns is a risk you have to weigh vs. local places that have parts in stock. I would suggest you look into GM wholesale dealers and buy parts through them to 'be Frugal'. No, not as cheap as mail order. Today and has to run tomorrow or huge Opportunity Cost justifies spending more to have the part today and be exchangeable today. Open till midnight parts stores are a busy thing in some areas.

Little perspective for you. I will point out why what you are asking is unreasonable with a simple question: "What will you do for $5.00?" Wages to get a live body to say "Would you like fries with that?" is getting to be around $12-15 and automated order stations are starting to become available if the dumbshit they hired and cheap SOB owners refused to spend the money to train whatsoever is too dammed slow.

"talk to a person that can cross reference things and ask all the questions to make dang sure it is right"

You posted the Amazon price that skipped the BS "how is the weather phone call" And 'will this fit my VIN, but I want a 1998 not 1993 4 bolt water pump...' That will cost around $200 for the two parts last I checked via GM Wholesale: Call, VIN, CC Number, and pickup at local shop on a GM Dealer parts delivery route or in person at dealer. If GM still stocks the obsolete part as many are discontinued due to the age of our trucks. Yeah, I delivered parts for many dealers to other dealers in remote areas and the fuel to do so wasn't free. Amazon gets a discounted shipping rate for an unfair advantage last I checked.

Again I simply share my perspective in a friendly way and hope it is simply taken as an explanation of how online ordering is cutting out the expensive live body on the other end of the phone line. You are trading "customer service experience" for cheaper prices. You have to pay for the live body to talk too and may not have that option for very much longer as businesses focus on delivering "Cheap" because that's what the masses buy and regret later. Then they go buy another cheap... No, they don't care if it was made by slaves in Red China: they only care that it's 1/4 the price of Made in The USA. Not everyone, but, enough to matter.

FWIW @RockAutoLLC still stocks some better quality parts that my local "race to be cheaper" parts store doesn't stock anymore like Raybestos and Wagner brake pads. And cheaper than my parts store used to carry them by $50 or 50% as I recall.

Last edited:
I have always used my long-defunct business's name/account with many wholesale suppliers like electrical supply houses, etc. for personal purchases. Didn't know that Fastenal is going that route. I'll have to stop in and ask about that at the one here.

Funny, I own Fastenal stock. You should look at its performance.

Back