• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I have been debating how I was going to install this.
IMG_1019.jpg
The stapler I was using would have never, ever gone through this galvanized metal. If you go back this was the one that I kept digging to get out.
I will now install it using my new, air staplers! :thumbsup:

Getting excited! :hihi:

Did a little work tonight.
I think I know why it rotted so bad below the tail light. There is something missing, no butyl tape.
IMG_1020.jpg
Removed the siding on the long curb side. Installed the galvanized metal corner brace. This will help with supporting the jack.
IMG_1022.jpg
Put the siding back. I just realized I will have to fix the rot on the side before I can finish the corner. The jack brace that hard mounts to the camper goes into the bottom siding at the very top. I just missed not having to do this by about 1/2".
IMG_1023.jpg
I installed some more small galvanized brackets to help support the generator box floor.
IMG_1024.jpg
I would like to get the upper corner cover back on this weekend along with finishing up getting the generator box back in. I will also finish building up the wood below and to the front of the generator box.
Still having fun, lots more to do! :thumbsup:

Got the generator box back in. I had to use a rubber mallet to nudge it in. It needs a little adjustment but it is in there. It would be very difficult to remove it. So lets hope we don't ever have to do that. :hihi:
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
I would still be out there messing with it if the overly aggressive mosquitoes were not attempting to suck me dry. :mad2:

Done for the night.

I had to cut back my cut for the bumper to fit properly. When I raised the floor for the generator it moved the bumper up. So in turn I had to re-cut for it to fit properly.
IMG_1027.jpg
I installed the wood below the generator box. Still have to install the wood in the front.
IMG_1028.jpg
I have the liquid nails between the wood. I want to ensure it sets properly. Got the clamps to keep it tight.
IMG_1029.jpg
Neither of my staple guns will go through the metal box. I am going to have to figure out another way to staple/nail it down.
IMG_1030.jpg
Fun! :thumbsup:

I went and got some nails to hold in the generator box. I got some with little ridges, hoping they hold in.
IMG_1031.jpg
This picture turned out horrible. I need to get all the old butyl tape goo off. This way I can close up the top part of the corner.
IMG_1032.jpg
Here it is, the generator box back in its home.
IMG_1033.jpg
Back to the grind! :thumbsup:

Have not got much done on the camper this weekend. The honey-do list had grown out of control. It does not help the wife hates this camper.
I did get the corner cover back on. I have been scraping off the butyl tape the last couple of days. That stuff is so much fun to work with. :rolleyes5:
IMG_1035.jpg
I had a lot of fun trying to find the correct screws. It only took two trips.
In the picture below. Screws on the left are the old original ones. The middle ones are the first I tryed and are actually in the top two holes. They would not go through all the galvanized metal I installed. The ones on the right are the last one I got. They will go through just about anything. All screws I purchased are stainless.
IMG_1034.jpg
Back to working on something. :thumbsup:

What doesn't your bride like about the camper?

She claims it is too small for all of us to go camping. Every time we go camping in it we are only inside of it at night time for bed. I will say it is small but it works great to hall my toys with me when I do go camping. Maybe time will heal.

I did not get much more done today. I did get the rest of the wood for in front of the generator box cut. I will install this sometime this week.
Here it is laying on my garage floor.
IMG_1036.jpg
I will also try to get the back window back in this week. along with the jack plug and maybe the tail light.
Thanks for all the support. :thumbsup:

Bring your tent with you for the kids and dogs to stay in, and use the slide in for just you guys. That will free up a lot of space and MAYBE make momma a little happier.

Bring your tent with you for the kids and dogs to stay in, and use the slide in for just you guys. That will free up a lot of space and MAYBE make momma a little happier.

If my little ones were a little bigger I could get away with this. I could try, good idea. They both love tent's!

If my little ones were a little bigger I could get away with this. I could try, good idea. They both love tent's!

You could always put her out in the tent with the dogs. Of course I imagine this would go over as well for you as it would for me, and you probably wouldn't make it home alive.

You could always put her out in the tent with the dogs. Of course I imagine this would go over as well for you as it would for me, and you probably wouldn't make it home alive.

About as good of an idea of me putting a cape on her when she was mad and asking her if she was now super mad. :hello:

Well it finally rained. No work tonight.
I am glad I put the siding end cover on. The rain is running right down it. Were it ends there is so much galvanized metal the rain is not getting near the wood. From what I can see. The rain is blowing from the opposite side of the camper. That is keeping it out of the generator box area.

Back