• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I removed all the left over spray foam that was sticking out. I also reinstalled the thin foam.
Put some more siding up across the back. I put the two small sections of siding up on both sides of the window.
IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
I taped up and finished prepping the thin foam for the siding to go back on.
IMG_0945.jpg
I then installed the siding that runs around the bottom of the window.
IMG_0946.jpg
Then stuck the window back in. It is only sticking in there. I still need to screw it back in.
IMG_0947.jpg
The rain got below the generator box. There was a small puddle of water underneath it. It also turned the sealer white.
I hope this does not cause me any problems. :mad2:
IMG_0948.jpg
Installed more siding. My camera does not like my shaky hands at night.
This one was giving me trouble because of the jack plug.
IMG_0949.jpg
More siding up. Two separate small sections.
IMG_0950.jpg
One more section of siding.
IMG_0951.jpg
Here is the last siding section going up. This one is just stuck up in there. I have not stapled it in yet.
IMG_0952.jpg
It is suppose to rain here again tonight and tomorrow. I was trying to get what is still good covered up.
I still need to get the butyl tape before I put the outer edge up.

Its a little late now, but H Depot sells the metal braces to link pieces of wood together. They are metal with little pointy spikes that go into and grip the wood. They are the same types of pieces that are used in trusses. You could then put some screws to them. That would give you some holding power.

I have seen those. Might try them on the other side(pick one, I got at least two more).

making some great progress!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have not got much work done this weekend. I had 24 hour duty on Friday starting at 0900. So that killed Friday and Saturday. I am going slow today and am really tired. But, I got a little done on the camper so far this morning.
I removed the staples and left over rotted wood that runs under the tail light.
IMG_0961.jpg
All removed.
IMG_0962.jpg
I cut and trimmed out some foam for behind the light.
IMG_0963.jpg
Light/handle installed.
IMG_0964.jpg
I need to go and purchase some more wood. Then start building up the back and sides.
Off to home depot I go. I still need to find and purchase some butyl tape.

The battery died on the camera. I figured I would update y'all what I have done.
I started putting in the cross boards across the back. I am going off nothing on these. The ones that were there were completely rotted.
This first one is a support for the rear tail light assembly.
IMG_0965.jpg
I then added the board that supports the bottom of the ladder.
IMG_0966.jpg
I used a galvanized bracket to help support both the cross board and support beam.
IMG_0967.jpg
The light needed a board for it to screw into. I had to space the board out a little.
IMG_0968.jpg
I went a head and added a board to the other side to help support the board that is in not that great of shape.
IMG_0969.jpg
Here it is all put in place.
IMG_0970.jpg
I just realized I used zero wood glue(liquid nails) on any of this. I will have to decide if I feel like taking it back apart.

Camera battery charged up. I liquid nailed the two pieces of wood the run horizontal.
I foamed in the rest of the holes in the back.
IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_0971.jpg
The back corner were the generator will sit was almost 1 inch lower than the front part. I raised it with my floor jack and installed the galvanized bracket. It is now sitting level all the way across.
IMG_0975.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg
I then installed the siding that runs across the top of the tail light.
IMG_0976.jpg
Then I put a thin coat of wood sealer on all the wood that faces outward. I also put some galvanized flashing on the lower brace of the tail light. Then I installed the siding that runs across the bottom of the tail light. I still need to staple this siding up.
IMG_0977.jpg
I then put the tail light in. It is only held in by the top three screws.
IMG_0978.jpg
I now need to finish installing all the wood on the side.

I started off strong this morning. Pulled out the table saw and started cutting some of the wood for the side. I got two pieces installed and started on the third one when I ran out of liquid nails. I got the bottom board installed.
IMG_0979.jpg
I also got the board that runs across the top installed.
IMG_0981.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg
I ran out of liquid nails before I could get the board that runs across the front side in. So I ran down to home depot and picked up some more along with a roll of galvanized sheeting.
IMG_0982.jpg
Back to work I go. :thumbsup:

Got the last board installed that goes around the generator opening. I got to finish the box in and build around it. I ran the one board a little long toward the ground. I have to figure out how long it needs to be. It is easier to run it long than cut it too short. I still have a lot more to do before I can get the generator box back in.
IMG_0983.jpg
I figured I would share how I install my screws. I usually run two drill and one impact. One will have a counter sink bit, the other has a drill bit smaller than the size of the screw, and the third one runs the bit that gets the screw in the hole.
IMG_0984.jpg
I pulled out the back siding and the lower foam. I still needed to slap down some wood sealer on all the wood I installed yesterday.
IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg
This is the sheet of galvanized metal I cut out and ready for install. This will go against the back wall. I am hoping it will also help strengthen up the area. Once I get two coats of sealer up this will be screwed/stapled in place.
IMG_0988.jpg
I have a lot more to go and very little time to do it.
It was suppose to rain here again today. I do not see a cloud in the sky. Hope it stays that way.

Put some flashing in on the 2X4 that runs across the bottom.
IMG_0989.jpg
Re-installed the pink foam insulation.
IMG_0990.jpg
Put the siding back up. It is not stapled in yet.
IMG_0991.jpg
Cut out and installed the sheet of galvanized flashing.
IMG_0992.jpg
I started to install the pink foam around the generator box. I started with the top.
IMG_0993.jpg
I then slid in the generator box. I did this so I can measure what I need to trim in the big box.
IMG_0994.jpg
Here is what I am looking at for measurements. This is only half of the pictures I took. I took two pictures per side. I will only torture y'all with one each. This was more for me to use so I can start cutting out the wood I need.
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg
This is how much space they wasted behind the generator box.
IMG_1001.jpg
I then installed the pink foam on the back side, front side, and the rear side of the generator box area. All the foam is only pushed in. I used no glue yet to hold it in. I am sure I will yank it out more than once.
IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg
I will get a little bit more done today.

Considering how hot it probably is there I'm impressed with the pace you are keeping.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I installed the board that helps support the generator box on the rear of the camper.
IMG_1005.jpg
I also installed the boards that run toward the front of the generator box.
IMG_1006.jpg
I would like to put some coats of sealer on in case it decides to rain.
I also need to install the board that is going to run across the top. It still needs one more cut.

I installed the top board. I only put this one in with staples. This one will never fall out. It will be wedged in by the generator box.
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1007.jpg
I cut out the pink foam for the new hole I created. I will pull it back out, I still want to seal the wood up with the sealer.
IMG_1009.jpg
I then cut out some of the galvanized sheet metal for the back of the two boards. I hope it will strengthen up the two boards. It is not installed yet, just there for the picture and test fit.
IMG_1010.jpg
I then cut out the galvanized roof flashing to fit in the big generator hole and the small one between the two boards. They are also just there for the picture and test fit.
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg
If I have time tonight I will seal up the wood.

something to consider is you might be raising the genset box temp with the extra insulation , might need to monitor it so you don't overheat it

something to consider is you might be raising the genset box temp with the extra insulation , might need to monitor it so you don't overheat it

I have considered that. It will still have space around the two sides and back. It will have zero space around the top. I will keep an eye on it. I am mainly doing this to keep the outside noise down. That and there was zero insulation between the generator and the inside of the camper.

I also put one layer of sealer on all the new wood. Still needs at least one more coat. :thumbsup:

I will work on the wood below the generator box the rest of the week. Just about all of this wood was gone our completely rotted out. I will have to build this up as I go. I am pleased so far with what I have done. I guess time will tell.

Once I get the wood in below the generator box I will move onto the rotted out wood across the back. I am really nervous about having both jacks on the back off at the same time. But I see no way to replace the wood that runs across the back without taking them both off. I guess we will see.

I still have a lot more to do. :)

Just curious to see if you got a weight on this before your work started, so you can compare to after. You're adding some much needed wood and reinforcing metal, but it might come out in the wash when you consider the wet wood and insulation you're removing.

Just curious to see if you got a weight on this before your work started, so you can compare to after. You're adding some much needed wood and reinforcing metal, but it might come out in the wash when you consider the wet wood and insulation you're removing.

I did not get the weight on this before hand. I should have, good idea! :thumbsup:

I have not done much work this week. Work has been hectic and I have not been sleeping good.

The metal generator box was warped, deformed, and poking out around the edges from were the staples and screws went threw it. Here is one side.
IMG_1013.jpg
I used a decent size C-clamp to get the metal as straight as I could.
IMG_1014.jpg
I then installed the metal flashing on the inside of the generator box hole. I only goy two staples holding it in place. Needs more!
IMG_1015.jpg
I went a head and installed the trim flashing as well. I used liquid nail on it to assist to keep it there for a long time.
IMG_1016.jpg
I put the pink foam back in.
IMG_1017.jpg
I need to go to harbor freight and get me a air stapler. The one I have is just not cutting the mustard. I need one to finish installing all the metal flashing and siding on. The spring stapler I am using requires me to go back after the stapler with a nail punch(I think) and hammer.

Went to Harbor Freight and picked up some new toys, I mean tools! :thumbsup:
IMG_1018.jpg
I went and played, I mean used them. They work awesome! :hihi:
I should have at least picked up the 20 gauge stapler when I started.

I finished installing the metal flashing I just installed. I would still be out there if it was not already dark.

Back