• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

That's why I wish we lived close. I not only have the timbers but all the tools to make the sizes you need.

I own a table saw and a compound miter saw. I will try a piece of scrap 2X4 first. If that does not work I will go to a scrap 4X4.
Once I get the proper size down I will cut the actual board I need down to the correct size.
Your help would be awesome but, there is no way in hell I would ever live in your corrupt state.

This is frustrating but, I am not giving up! :hand: :box:

You might consider pallet runners if you can find some. They're usually black oak and stable. I've used em quite a few times and they're stout. Not to mention the right size to fit your job with a bit of ripping.

Did a little work in the early hours before I run off to class today.
I pressure washed the generator box and the bottom access plate. It is 99% cleaner than what it was.
IMG_0890.jpg
I also put another coat of wood sealer on the exposed wood in the generator box. This was a third coat for some areas and a second for others.
IMG_0891.jpg
I will do more work on it but, it will not be till later on today.

I got a short scrap 2X4 and trimmed it down to fit.
IMG_0892.jpg
Does not look to bad.
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0894.jpg
I then cut down the 8' 2X4. It made two boards the size I needed. I use the left over scrap for a template.
IMG_0895.jpg
I use the template to cut down the real board. I will keep it for the other side as it is rotted also. Just not as bad, so far as I can tell.
The real board/beam that is going in fits nicely!
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg
I just need to install it. :thumbsup:

Got it in! :agreed:
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
I applied a lot of liquid nails. The only thing holding it in there at the moment is 2" 18 gauge nails out of my nail gun.
IMG_0900.jpg
I need to go to home depot and get some longer screws.
In the morning I will seal the wood beam. After it is sealed I will screw it in.
Not much done today.

I need to go to home depot and get some longer screws.
In the morning I will seal the wood beam. After it is sealed I will screw it in.
Not much done today.

At Home Desperate get their Deck Mate brand coated deck screws. They have a bugle head on them and won't split the wood as easily as long as you stay away from using them close to the end of the piece of wood. The coating on them keeps rust away for a long time. I've had some out in the weather for several years without rusting.

They do use a different style of driver bit, although a new bit (sometimes two) comes in each box. The bit looks similar to a large phillips bit. It has a larger center that can allow the use of a square drive bit, if not too much pressure is applied to the driver.

I've had real good success using these screws. They are hard to break, and don't strip out the head as easily as a lot of the other screws available. I installed cabinets for a shop for years and the best screws I ever used are not available to the public, as far as I've ever been able to determine. However these Deck Mate screws come in a very close second on durability, and I'm very picky about screws that I use.

Don

Don

At Home Desperate get their Deck Mate brand coated deck screws. They have a bugle head on them and won't split the wood as easily as long as you stay away from using them close to the end of the piece of wood. The coating on them keeps rust away for a long time. I've had some out in the weather for several years without rusting.

They do use a different style of driver bit, although a new bit (sometimes two) comes in each box. The bit looks similar to a large phillips bit. It has a larger center that can allow the use of a square drive bit, if not too much pressure is applied to the driver.

I've had real good success using these screws. They are hard to break, and don't strip out the head as easily as a lot of the other screws available. I installed cabinets for a shop for years and the best screws I ever used are not available to the public, as far as I've ever been able to determine. However these Deck Mate screws come in a very close second on durability, and I'm very picky about screws that I use.

Don

Don

Don,
Those are the exact screws I got. Just need some longer ones. I have some short ones too attach my galvanized metal brace.
I noticed here they come in green and yellow. Is it just a color difference our does it mean something else?
I will post a picture of the screws I plan on using tomorrow.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pre-drill them and that will also help prevent splitting. Keep up the great work Marty.

I always pre-drill in wood for screws, bolts, lag bolts our anything else except nails. I learned the hard way on this a few years back. I spent hours building something with lots of special cuts. When I was putting it together I got lazy and did not pre-drill. Every hole I put a screw in split the wood. I had to start all over again.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

When you get in a hurry, you get careless. Like this,
IMG_0906.jpg
I used galvanized braces/brackets to hold the two separate beams together. I used liquid nails to help hold it in place.
IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg
I used the good green screws to hold the brace to the beam. Nice and short.
IMG_0909.jpg
I removed the screws that went threw from my carelessness.
IMG_0910.jpg
I went and got some of the good green screws in 3" to hold the new beam to the camper. Here it is screwed in.
IMG_0911.jpg
I removed the big window. I needed it out of the way to get the beam in.
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
More to follow.

This metal plate was placed in the camper from the factory. It was held in place with staples. I used screws.
IMG_0914.jpg
This is the reason I had to pull the big window out. One screw, it goes into a board that runs across the back.
IMG_0915.jpg
I used some foam to help build up(from lack of wood). There was scrap wood paneling running down the old beam to fill in gaps.
IMG_0916.jpg
I used good old Army 100 mile an hour tape to close back in the foam that I had cut open.
IMG_0917.jpg
Then I put the small panel back in place.
IMG_0918.jpg
This is what I am using to put the siding back up. The cheap staple gun is not strong enough to push the staples all the way in. I am helping the staple in by using a nail punch and hammer. The work mate makes a great place to stand on when you are vertically challenged.
IMG_0919.jpg
I installed galvanized flashing on the outer corner of my new wood beam. It was cut to size and liquid nailed in place with the assistance of more staples.
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
I then stapled down the siding that runs around the bottom of the window.
IMG_0922.jpg
I then installed the next three pieces of siding down the long side of the camper.
IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0925.jpg
This is going back together a lot faster than I figured it would.
More to follow.

Installed a 20" galvanized bar on the outward facing beam. This puts 3 galvanized bars supporting the two beams at the joint.
IMG_0926.jpg
I put the bottom siding on. There is nothing holding it on. Just there in case it rains.
IMG_0927.jpg
Removed the lose staples you see in the picture. I also covered the holes with some tape.
IMG_0928.jpg
Here it is with the tape on.
IMG_0929.jpg
I put some of the foam tape up.
IMG_0930.jpg
The wood here was in ruff shape. I put some sealer on it to help it last.
IMG_0931.jpg
Back to work I go! :thumbsup:

I put two panels up on the back side. Here is a before.
IMG_0932.jpg
Here is with them back up.
IMG_0933.jpg
I plan on using spray foam out of a can to help insulate the camper. I got this for free from my neighbor.
IMG_0934.jpg
I plan on pulling out the fiberglass insulation and using the pink foam insulation. Here is a before.
IMG_0935.jpg
Here is what I will be using. The generator box had zero insulation around it. I plan on using this pink stuff all around it.
IMG_0936.jpg
I took all the fiberglass insulation out. I am surprised, this stuff is usually bunched up on the bottom of were it was placed.
IMG_0937.jpg
Here is the pink stuff installed. I had to trim out the back were the wires wanted to stay. This stuff is easy and fun to work with. It just makes a smidgen of a mess, everywhere!
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg
I feel like I got a lot done this weekend. I think this week I will work on it some after work.
The weather man claims it is suppose to rain here Monday and Tuesday. But he has claimed this a lot the last two weeks and it has only sprinkled once.
Got to get the window back in so I can call it a night. :thumbsup:

I can honestly say better you than me. I can work with steel, but when it comes to wood it just aint my game.

I sprayed in the foam. What A mess! :agreed:
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg

I have to wait for it to dry before I can cut it down.

I hope it does not rain. :eek:

After its cut down I will install the siding and rear window to cover the good wood.
Then the rebuilding around the generator begins. Followed by the back curb side.

I can honestly say better you than me. I can work with steel, but when it comes to wood it just aint my game.

Wood is not that bad. I am glad I took wood shop my freshman year in high school. :thumbsup:

I just wish I could figure out how to mess with steel. From what I have done so far I am 50/50 failure rate.

Its a little late now, but H Depot sells the metal braces to link pieces of wood together. They are metal with little pointy spikes that go into and grip the wood. They are the same types of pieces that are used in trusses. You could then put some screws to them. That would give you some holding power.

Back