• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild about done

iirc the time set feature in GMTD or on a tech2 is just to allow you to see where the IP is at (if it needs to be adjusted before doing the TDCO) once you have the IP in or near the 3 - 3.5 deg area, then you off to set the TDCO. the TDCO is the only setting that gets retained in the PCM and should be all you have to do to set the timing.

when you reconnect the batteries and connect to the PCM, if the TDCO number is the same as what you got in your last post without functioning the time set or learn buttons (just reading what's on the screen) your good to go, no need to do any further changes, unless of course you want it closer to spec. imo I would leave it at -1.78 and call it a day. getting it any closer to spec (-0.7~) you will be there all day and then some bumping the IP back n fourth fractions of a hair's movements and re-running the learn procedure!
Ok thanks! IIRC the timing was at 3-3.5 when he tried to do the timeset and when he did the learn it jumped to 8-9 but once off it was back to 3-3.5. It sounds like it may be good. We'll do the battery and see what happens.

New issue. White smoke. Everything is running great however lots of white smoke. After disabling injector 1 on the scanner the smoke cleared up. I bought these injectors not more than a year ago I think from Leroy. It appears like that injector is bad. My son swapped out some of the old ones that have been sitting for the last 5 years. I told them they are probably bad from sitting so long. I just put new ones in the suburban so I told him to pull one of those to try. Any other thoughts?

Swapping the injectors didn't fix the problem. I have a camera I am going to do an inspection with just to see if a valve is stuck open before I do a compression test. Will all compression testers have the correct attachment for the 6.5 or can I get any one off amazon?

Swapping the injectors didn't fix the problem. I have a camera I am going to do an inspection with just to see if a valve is stuck open before I do a compression test. Will all compression testers have the correct attachment for the 6.5 or can I get any one off amazon?
I had to buy the glow plug adapter for the 6.5, after I bought my diesel compression tester.
I'm sure if I had investigated more, I could have found one with the adapter included

Back