• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raced a Duramax!

Indeed it is, but it just seems so far out of reach, considering we havn't seen many dyno reports over 300. In fact, the boyz across the ocean fell far short.

I'm not doubting by any means, but it seems every mod possible falls short of 300 going by others dyno reports. Agreed there aren't many to judge by. SuperCharged Gassers get dyno'd all the time, as its the only real way to tune them. Diesels don't really need tuning as in air/fuel ratio, they just need fuel, and need to hold together. The air is easy to supply. The fuel isn't.

Optimization is key too with the 6.5 it seems. But once again, limited to fuel supply. Perhaps with a tune that isn't worried about engine longevity? But still, max fuel rate is max fuel rate, regardless of longevity goals?

Let it rip...........:thumbsup:

Ian had 303 rwhp on the dyno, his limitation with GM turbo was lack of air, Bill pushing 500 flywheel estimated no drugs/pane has air twin turbo, says he's about reached limit of turbos & fuel from a stock DS4.

I would surmise once I get my WMI installed if I ran dyno, now, I'd be hitting 300 Hp with the ATT without my IC and no WMI I'm IAT limited.

With my IC and the GM-8 before full FTB (0 psi at IP on WOT those days) I was limited to 121 mph, 197rwhp on my last dyno back in Mar. 05, but no air across the IC; I don't know what my top end is now, as both my truck and I have gained weight :D,

Me in girth :eek:, and the truck is now sporting the Buckstop Bumper up front couple of life events since then have pushed back my ability to play and expand the boundaries as much as i would have wanted.

Katrina in Aug. 05, and 3 different jobs/employers since then tend to make one shift priorities a bit, $$$ to rebuild the house took away from 6.5 efforts, new job now should lend more time for such pursuits as going for the 300rwhp benchmark again.

Barring another Katrina like visit at my house, being just 650' from Gulf of Mexico that is always a possibility, especially when @ 15' elevation and Katrina came in at 22' :eek:

Why hasn't Bill just had Peninsular Build him an IP since that is all that is holding him back ? They can custom build a bigger IP than a DS4.

He said he wanted to show what a basic 6.5 (more or less) can do, probably after this run in Aug take some time off (couple of seasons maybe), and then go to extreme 6.5 build, custom IP and "other" things he would not expand on. He thinks between 160-170 mph will be the most he can get with a off the shelf DS4 IP.

Matt as for fuel DS4 makes with Airdog IIRC on Bills LSR is enough fuel, to get a std weight 6.5 truck to these speeds.

150+ mph with a 6.5 trucks normal-ish weight requires around 450 rwhp according to some folks that run the salt on a regular basis, which is the Wow factor of it all, lose 40-60 across the auto trans that puts the ballpark guesstimate of 500hp @ flywheel.

So if Bill is 150+ with a DS4, I think 300rwhp well within our ability, and certainly worth shooting for.

Only reason I asked is I thought you just lacked pressure and volume...If you could run the cp3 off of the belts which is how we add a second cp3 then a regulator after the pump could tune it down to the max of what a hot 6.5 would need...
I thought whatever your injectors didn't use would be returned via return lines to the tank...

I guess it sounds simple...when in reality it isn't...If I knew 6.5 fuel systems I guess I probably wouldn't have suggested it...

NP Paul

Learning the game is what we are all about, what werks/what don't if a Dmax doo-dad worked or with all your track time lends a different thought please continue to share.

Never know what odd ball thing proves to be beneficial, I'm backing away from some hard core "conventions" myself, I often have my doubts at times (call it a healthy skepticism) but I'm more willing now to accept some things in performance that don't make sense, with the caveat Joe Average 6.5 guys don't need it for what they do with their trucks or want it, once I get to a safe reliable 300 rwhp myself, that will probably be it for me, speed costs as you well know.

yessir it does...I'm doing a budget rebuild and it sure isn't cheap...the one thing I really couldn't afford is what most in our world recommended...$2800 forged rods :( I just can't justify that...

sorry...I'll just have to call it quits at the top of the max hp I should get out of it with just having the stronger Dmax LBZ engines rods...(575-600 max rwhp)

not to hijack the thread (back to where it started) and not to sound like I'm an immature idiot out streetracing all the time, but I think I just busted a 6.0 liter 2500hd. Didnt see under his hood obviously, but it didnt sound like a Duramax. Was dark so I couldnt see any duramax emblem on the door, but then again I might have blown it off when I went by.
Went by---
rapidly.
very rapidly.

He was holding me up from 0-50, I actually had to tap the brakes to keep from swapping license plates. then got a passing zone and drove right by. And it sounded like he was trying. Then he followed me and kept trying to mess with me, which I wasnt buying. Too many cops around.

The Dmax rods will definately not work in a 6.5 without significant other modifications, they are too long and have larger journal and pin diameters.

Well it was just a thought really was all and I've never really seen any Dmax stuff at all except yesterday was lookin at a head for one while at the machine shop there...

It might end up in there though, just need significant other modification, like larger crank journals, and shorter compression height pistons. Not something I am recommending of course.

not to hijack the thread (back to where it started) and not to sound like I'm an immature idiot out streetracing all the time, but I think I just busted a 6.0 liter 2500hd. Didnt see under his hood obviously, but it didnt sound like a Duramax. Was dark so I couldnt see any duramax emblem on the door, but then again I might have blown it off when I went by.
Went by---
rapidly.
very rapidly.

He was holding me up from 0-50, I actually had to tap the brakes to keep from swapping license plates. then got a passing zone and drove right by. And it sounded like he was trying. Then he followed me and kept trying to mess with me, which I wasnt buying. Too many cops around.

Nice victory!!! Feels good, eh?
I had a similar one the other day. (first time ive EVER raced my truck, LOL)

Lined up to a guy in a 94 or earlier 6.5T CrewCab Long Box Dually, 5speed. He had a straight piped exhaust, and gauges from what I could see. My truck specs are in sig - Reg Cab w/ a few simple mods. beat him by almost 2 truck lengths to about 50. Only thing is... i had my 3000lb boat + trailer on the back!!! Sorry to hijack again, but you guys are pretty much the only ones I could brag about this to. my girlfriend just didnt seem impressed. ):h

Went by---
rapidly.
very rapidly.

Sure sounds like you're enjoying that ATT/KOJO combo! Give me a heads up if your ever passing by the Worcester Area!

I am enjoying it Matt, it's much more fun to drie now, and it sounds geart out the pipe, except for the screwed up fanclutch mod, I'm getting tired of listening to my fan being on most of the time.

My buddy with the mostly stock Dmax ran it at the drags, I heard he spun way too much from a boosted launch, only ran 18. Launch from idle to minimize tirespin put down a 14.2. He didn't want to try a 4wd launch because he has been reading about broken tierods.

I am enjoying it Matt, it's much more fun to drie now, and it sounds geart out the pipe, except for the screwed up fanclutch mod, I'm getting tired of listening to my fan being on most of the time.

My buddy with the mostly stock Dmax ran it at the drags, I heard he spun way too much from a boosted launch, only ran 18. Launch from idle to minimize tirespin put down a 14.2. He didn't want to try a 4wd launch because he has been reading about broken tierods.

tell him all he needs to get is a set of tie rod sleeves...IIRC they vary in range from $50-$80 depending on if you go with stainless or cold steel and the mfr.

tell him all he needs to get is a set of tie rod sleeves...IIRC they vary in range from $50-$80 depending on if you go with stainless or cold steel and the mfr.

I wished it was that simple for me:mad2:. I need all new steering linkage if I want to hammer it in 4 low. The earlier style steering linkage is just to weak to put any power to without it flexing all over the place. 1/2 throttle had me going every which way but straight.

I wished it was that simple for me:mad2:. I need all new steering linkage if I want to hammer it in 4 low. The earlier style steering linkage is just to weak to put any power to without it flexing all over the place. 1/2 throttle had me going every which way but straight.

Ferm,

I thought that yours was a torsion bar suspension?

Back