• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raced a Duramax!

What's the difference in these hx35's Ive been seeing? There's a hx35w and hx35y I've seen on ebay is why I ask.

And your right it'd be nice to have the dmax swap done after I'm slowly learning about this 6.5 crap lol

ATT is better than the HX IMO as it is more closely matched to what works best for the 6.5, makes gobs of air, without risking dangerous overboost, or having to lower CR to where the overboost is less of a concern, we are just begining to unlock potential of the 6.5 with this combination using ATT, before our issue was lack of air, now for some limitations are for lack of fuel.

What's the difference in these hx35's Ive been seeing? There's a hx35w and hx35y I've seen on ebay is why I ask.

And your right it'd be nice to have the dmax swap done after I'm slowly learning about this 6.5 crap lol

DMAX swaps can be done and have been done, not for the faint of heart, easier is a 5.9 Cummins swap as less electronics to sort out ,

A properly set up 6.5 is a thing of beauty :D

I was talking to Bill Heath this afternoon, they are hoping to bust 158+ mph in Bonneville in Aug. with the 6.5 LSR :thumbsup:

I was hoping to be part of the "pit crew"/ cheerleading team (no pom-poms) :D but I'm stuck here in NY the week that he will be making the runs on the salt. :mad2:

DMAX swaps can be done and have been done, not for the faint of heart, easier is a 5.9 Cummins swap as less electronics to sort out ,

A properly set up 6.5 is a thing of beauty :D

I was talking to Bill Heath this afternoon, they are hoping to bust 158+ mph in Bonneville in Aug. with the 6.5 LSR :thumbsup:

I was hoping to be part of the "pit crew"/ cheerleading team (no pom-poms) :D but I'm stuck here in NY the week that he will be making the runs on the salt. :mad2:
I would max out all my credit to watch Bill take on a DMax in a street race with the Bonneville Truck.):h
I'll be at Bonneville though to him go after that 158+ and hopefully more. :thumbsup:

I now have alot of respect for the 6.5, I litterly bag the snot outta mine and she is still goin strong. But it has a bit of a hickup when your really goin on it down the highway kinda like the fule cuts out for a split second. Im just suprised i havent blown a head gasket running 21-22 psi of boost all the time.

Most have probably not been in a 6.5 that was programmed to output as much fuel as it can and feel the power it can provide. A 6.5 with a few specific modifications can easily blow by a stock Cummins, Powerstroke and DMax. But the reason people dont get programs that can do it, is because it gives you the ability to do harm to the engine if you abuse it. And programming for those fuel rates can be difficult, but fun. And its not best for normal driveability or economy.

One thing folks forget about Bill's truck is it does make high HP without drugs/pane and it is a IDI engine with 22.5 CR, so not that radical of a departure from it's stock config other than some programming and mods you see discussed on the site here.

One thing folks forget about Bill's truck is it does make high HP without drugs/pane and it is a IDI engine with 22.5 CR, so not that radical of a departure from it's stock config other than some programming and mods you see discussed on the site here.

well thats pretty cool

That is doable with a single turbo

Indeed it is, but it just seems so far out of reach, considering we havn't seen many dyno reports over 300. In fact, the boyz across the ocean fell far short.

I'm not doubting by any means, but it seems every mod possible falls short of 300 going by others dyno reports. Agreed there aren't many to judge by. SuperCharged Gassers get dyno'd all the time, as its the only real way to tune them. Diesels don't really need tuning as in air/fuel ratio, they just need fuel, and need to hold together. The air is easy to supply. The fuel isn't.

Optimization is key too with the 6.5 it seems. But once again, limited to fuel supply. Perhaps with a tune that isn't worried about engine longevity? But still, max fuel rate is max fuel rate, regardless of longevity goals?

Let it rip...........:thumbsup:

I don't know 6.5's

but...

For Fuel: can you guys try to use a belt driven CP3(what a Dmax uses for duel CP3's) for fueling and then regulate the pressures down some?

I don't know 6.5's

but...

For Fuel: can you guys try to use a belt driven CP3(what a Dmax uses for duel CP3's) for fueling and then regulate the pressures down some?

Paul ours are mechanically injected via an IP that is electronically monitored we don't have any way to meter it once it leaves the CP3. Even if we figured out a way to use a DMaX fuel system then nothing to control the injectors firing/timing, then there is the IDI vs DI issue.

Going this route we might as well drop in a DMAX, or MFI Cummins for us in Jurassic Park technology overall best is to learn to work with what we have and accept there is a limit to be lived with, and that limit will be well below potential of a "peaked & tweaked" modern Diesel that is DI'd.

Only reason I asked is I thought you just lacked pressure and volume...If you could run the cp3 off of the belts which is how we add a second cp3 then a regulator after the pump could tune it down to the max of what a hot 6.5 would need...
I thought whatever your injectors didn't use would be returned via return lines to the tank...

I guess it sounds simple...when in reality it isn't...If I knew 6.5 fuel systems I guess I probably wouldn't have suggested it...

Cam in Red Deer Alberta got 296 RWHP outta his 6.5 a few years ago. I have been talking with him about it and I'm doing a few more mods then he did so I'm thinkin I should reach it. And I'm sure your wondering how he can prove it. Well his shop is called Light Speed Innovations they specialize in turbos superchargers u name it. Been doing it since the early 90s I believe? But yeah that's what he dinod it at and he actually still has the truck sitting out back. Tryed selling it to me.

Most have probably not been in a 6.5 that was programmed to output as much fuel as it can and feel the power it can provide. A 6.5 with a few specific modifications can easily blow by a stock Cummins, Powerstroke and DMax. But the reason people dont get programs that can do it, is because it gives you the ability to do harm to the engine if you abuse it. And programming for those fuel rates can be difficult, but fun. And its not best for normal driveability or economy.

You forget, I owned both at the same time. My fully modded(bolt on) Tahoe was about even with the stock 24v except towing. Even with the Mods the 24v blew the 6.5 away towing. I'm not knocking the 6.5 by any means, I own one .

Last edited:
You havent had a 6.5 with the right programming for power. Fully modded means something different to me. None of the aftermarket tunes I have seen have given you the most that it possibly could, not even close.

Back