• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raced a Duramax!

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
I didn't win, of course, but at least I came in second!;> I was pleasantly surprised to actually be gaining on him in higher rpm range, when my ATT was actually breathing. We both took off from a stop sign, turning left on wet road. He was spinning a tire pretty bad, so I was able to drive up on his bumper right thru the turn-I rarely have traction problems. Once he straightened out he started pulling away pretty good, but once I got halfway thru second the rpms were enough that I was moving a lot of air and stopped losing ground and started actually gaining. I dont think I was going to catch him and blow by him, but I was just happy I didn't get left behind like I would have when my truck was stock. I don't know how it might have changed at higher speeds, but we ran out of road at about 65 and both had to slow for a corner. Did this twice, same results.
His is a stock lb7 with a straight pipe.

Not bad.

I'd like to Hear what Happens if you have more Road. Maybe you'll Pull him Down at Higher Speeds?

I think you may have given him something to think about if you had more road. Were the trucks pretty evenly matched in weight?

When I get my A team back I'm going gunnin for that twin stacked Cummins again. He smoked me real bad a while back. Once when I was pulling a small front end loader and the other time I didn't even see him coming, he was just there and gone. But when I get it back on I will be ready and I'm turning on the third switch when I see him!!!

One of the guys with a BMW here going to steam turbine school with me was commenting on how well mine ran, he was following me, and was surprised how much extra effort he needed to keep up with me, I hold no illusions in a foot face same starting lite he would smoke me, but it does make me feel happy that the old girl has ability to make folks to take notice of what she can do.

I've beaten a few stock Dmaxes & Strokes to their surprise when they found out I was "just" a 6.5

So true.
Just before I sold my old lady, I raced a 2007 cummins RAM2500, stock I believe...

I was so happy to stay behind him, playing with his bumper, pushing, releasing, and pushing again.
I saw in his passenger looking at me behind, seems he didn't understand how comes I was still there
The deal was set, so I had to sell her, and need to anyways...

WOW my truck needs more power.... I was just able to edge out my friends 7.3 F350 that has a CAI and exhaust.

So far I have raced a 98 24v Cummins. I can beat him up until level 3 on his chip, he has complete fuel system, BHF, and 5’’ exhaust. Wait till the HX and FTB mod, with a new chip....

I have raced a 2000 4.8 with CIA throttle body spacer ect...gmc reg cab short box with a boosted launch and he never did pass me. Stayed behind me at the higher speeds we both let off at around 180kmph

second one i raced was a 98.5 ext cab shortbox cummings with an 80hp chip. He wasent much of a fight i pulled away through all speeds. This one was with no boosted launch

3rd was a 2005 chevy vortch with the 5.3 stock ext cab short box beat him as well with the boosted launch. We raced till 110kmph i dont like going any faster in 4x4 stayed about a truck lengh and a half infrount.

Over all im damn impressed with my 6.5, Im very excited to see the difference when i over haul the engine next month and lower the compression. Gonne be putting insurance on the duramax for a month. It will be a nice change.

That hx35 turbo must account for a lot, cause I doubt I could beat a 5.3 (I have one)

I played a little with an old Cummins 12 valve the other day, was a pre-94 body style, stacks like trash cans and louder than hell. No idea how much he's got into it. Took off from a light blowing two big streams of black smoke and looked pretty quick too. Course I had to try to keep up, and same thing happened, he pulled away until I could get some momentum up and the big turbo working. He had five car lengths or so already at about 30, at about 60 I was up to two carlengths and gaining fast. Then we had to let off for traffic. He drove away thinking he won, and maybe he did but I know I would have run him down and gone by him.
I just don't have a lot down low, because of the big tires killing my gear, and the ATT shows up for work a little late. I dont see 4wd helping at all, since I'm not having traction issues. I've tried boosted launches and dont even see a difference.

That hx35 turbo must account for a lot, cause I doubt I could beat a 5.3 (I have one)

I played a little with an old Cummins 12 valve the other day, was a pre-94 body style, stacks like trash cans and louder than hell. No idea how much he's got into it. Took off from a light blowing two big streams of black smoke and looked pretty quick too. Course I had to try to keep up, and same thing happened, he pulled away until I could get some momentum up and the big turbo working. He had five car lengths or so already at about 30, at about 60 I was up to two carlengths and gaining fast. Then we had to let off for traffic. He drove away thinking he won, and maybe he did but I know I would have run him down and gone by him.
I just don't have a lot down low, because of the big tires killing my gear, and the ATT shows up for work a little late. I dont see 4wd helping at all, since I'm not having traction issues. I've tried boosted launches and dont even see a difference.

Yeah i can't do a boosted launch in 2wd it spins through the first 2 gears. God damn limited slip one tire spinning rear end. Im gonna eventually put in 3.42 gears with the lockers so i wont half to race in 4x4 anymore. And yeah the HX35 really woke it up. You also have alot more rubber to turn in the rear end with the dualy.

My Old Tahoe with all the goodies beat stock Strokes and was about even with a stock 2nd gen cummins but let's be real. A 6.5 has to be pushed to it's LIMIT to be even with most others stock. A mild tune on a 24v will beat a fully worked 6.5 and there is just no other way around it. Not to mention the Cummins will hold together. I mean after seeing what Cumminalong has done to his....:D.
If the 6.2 pukes in my CUCV I would really look into P pumped 24v as a replacement.

My Old Tahoe with all the goodies beat stock Strokes and was about even with a stock 2nd gen cummins but let's be real. A 6.5 has to be pushed to it's LIMIT to be even with most others stock. A mild tune on a 24v will beat a fully worked 6.5 and there is just no other way around it. Not to mention the Cummins will hold together. I mean after seeing what Cumminalong has done to his....:D.
If the 6.2 pukes in my CUCV I would really look into P pumped 24v as a replacement.

Well, to be fair, it better be twice as fast since it costs twice as much.

Didn't you ever watch cartoons when you were a kid? The turtle always beat that hare!

How quickly you forget what happened last time you tried to get away from the 6.2 / 6.5 family!

And last, but not least, that 6.2 aint ever gonna die.

Well, to be fair, it better be twice as fast since it costs twice as much.

Excellent point! Mines been paid off for years, I could go out and spend $15k on a used D-max, spend another $5k to tune it, lift it and outfit it like my truck, or save the $20k and keep my second-place truck. If I had the $20k to spend I'd like to put it into my truck. I could probably build the ultimate 97 dually with either a Cummins or a D-max swap.

I would rather own my truck with a hot duramax under the hood, than a brand new truck. Heck I'd still rather own my truck than a brand new truck, even with the pos unreliable (;>) old 6.5. Just wouldn't mind if it were a little faster.

Back