• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pseudo-Resto 96 K-1500…Um, when was this a good idea?

i'm still running the A Team and considering replacing it. i never go past 2K rpm even at 70 mph. i get smoke and would like a quicker spool.

Wish so bad I could do the ATT or something big like that. Running in the 2600-2800 rpm range all the time sux.

When you get the tune from Bill, can you ask him about any flow numbers or graphs on that center section for my gm6? I know the turbo wont be on there forever, but depending onnprice and how much it might help upper rpm might be worth it while I have everything apart this summer.

Waiting to hear final results on your new toy.

@red if you get the chance to meet up with him, do so. Great guy to meet.

Why get rid of the ATT?

Haha just realized you are right up the road from me.
ATT just doesn't work for me. It rocks at altitudes less than 2000', otherwise it just comes in too late. Bill gave me a rocking tune for it too. Walking J loved it and he sold the KoJo's for it. Still, my truck is too light and with an Automatic coupled to the 3:73, it took to long to load the thing up. But, with a load of Sod or Gravel in the bed and it was very happy. Same with the S-84. Orionthade ran this ATT on his 3500 CCLB with manual and it was a difference of night and day and he had driven my truck with it in there so he knew. So, I'm not condemning the ATT, its just not the right one for my needs.

GTG, Did not realize you were back in Utah and depending on where you are in Eagle Mountain (ranches or city central [contradiction in terms that one] I'm pretty either right over the mountain or 5.1 miles south of Pioneer Crossing and Readwood, so yeah, we need to link up.

Last edited:
Wish so bad I could do the ATT or something big like that. Running in the 2600-2800 rpm range all the time sux.

When you get the tune from Bill, can you ask him about any flow numbers or graphs on that center section for my gm6? I know the turbo wont be on there forever, but depending onnprice and how much it might help upper rpm might be worth it while I have everything apart this summer.

Waiting to hear final results on your new toy.

I'd send the ATT to you but, it was just spoken for so it's going to a new home 'Way up North.'

I'll ask Bill about a center section for your HMMWV. They'er working with HMMWVs, Duramax and Dodges now as well as the 6.5s. Thought the market for 6.5 was going to drop off and while it did for a while, the past year as seen a solid increase in interest. Interesting, folks are falling out of love with the prices, style, fit & finish of the 'new generation' and are willing to play with our beloved 400's

ATT just doesn't work for me. It rocks at altitudes less than 2000', otherwise it just comes in too late. Bill gave me a rocking tune for it too. Walking J loved it and he sold the KoJo's for it. Still, my truck is too light and with an Automatic coupled to the 3:73, it took to long to load the thing up. But, with a load of Sod or Gravel in the bed and it was very happy. Same with the S-84. Orionthade ran this ATT on his 3500 CCLB with manual and it was a difference of night and day and he had driven my truck with it in there so he knew. So, I'm not condemning the ATT, its just not the right one for my needs.

GTG, Did not realize you were back in Utah and depending on where you are in Eagle Mountain (ranches or city central [contradiction in terms that one] I'm pretty either right over the mountain or 5.1 miles south of Pioneer Crossing and Readwood, so yeah, we need to link up.

Ah that makes sense with the turbo then.

Yep, i'm in Eagle Mountain Ranches (very much contradiction in terms there hahaha). Lots of chaos for me this weekend between a friends wedding and working on the 82 in Lehi sunday.

I can't fit a bigger turbo on mine without doing a body lift, Wish I could convince myself to just do that. WAY up North? I guess it is already used to the cold there in Utah- haha!

The lighter weight of your truck- definitely a qsv for that big of turbo would be helpful. Look at any of the hot rod rice burner gasser cars, and not a one tries a turbo without it. I was really surprised to find out WarWagon was one of only 2 guys to have installed it.
My Hummer is way closer to 10k than I like to think about, and I would want it for rock crawling help. All the advantages of a wastegated turbo without the high rpm restrictions. Just wish they were a tad cheaper.

Crushing the Toureg? Why?
Diesel Gate, Gen1 V-6 software can't be reprogrammed. Heck, they haven't even got the 'fix' approved for the Gen-2 software on the 2013+ models. Its either sell it back, trade it in or keep it as is and run risk the EPA or state doesn't come after you later. I would trade it in on the 2015 Touareg TDI I have a deposit on but, like I said, the fix isn't in for the 3 Liters yet.
Bosch just sent a letter saying they'll be paying off some $$ for their part in the software scandal for both the 2.0 and the 3.0 TDI's. That means two checks for me because we turned in the '12 Jetta in February.

Good to see you got your truck back on the road Paul. Let me know if you need a camera man to record your runs so we don't lose it in the weeds again :D. I'm missing that 6.5 sound.

When you get the tune from Bill, can you ask him about any flow numbers or graphs on that center section for my gm6? I know the turbo wont be on there forever, but depending on price and how much it might help upper rpm might be worth it while I have everything apart this summer.

Heath does offer a GM-6 upgrade version of the Hurricane 7. Money back if you don't like it though (and if the part is returned undamaged). As for the numbers, he doesn't release specks, never has and I don't ask. Heck, I don't understand most of the data I get privy to anyway so, if I did repeat it, it would be wrong.

Good to see you got your truck back on the road Paul. Let me know if you need a camera man to record your runs so we don't lose it in the weeds again :D. I'm missing that 6.5 sound.
Trust me, you'll like the sound this turbo makes. I put the 1st Gen. Heath Air Cleaner back on it Saturday to see if it would quiet down the noise in the cab. It does, though one can still clearly hear it. If you do come by on the way to do a little shooting, I'll put the Newer model cleaner back on it for the full effect.

I HATE LEAKS!
The Air Dog 165 is weeping fuel at the input fitting. They love their "C" clip set up but, like our beloved oil lines, the system works fine until it doesn't. Looks like I'll be removing the set up and effecting my own 8-AN Stainless Set up.

I got some practice at building lines today because the Turbo Oil Return line is piddling too.
20170703-Oil Return Line-0.jpg
I've been hoping it was only a matter of tightening things up but, nope, no such luck. I've been cleaning the floor and attempting to figure out what's the real issue for a few days but, no avail while still in the truck. Since I consider oil higher priority vs. a slight fuel weep, I addressed the issue today between sanding and priming the step bar mounts...another story of no priority other than something time consuming: Scrap, brush, sand, grind, prime, paint, visit chiropractor to get rid of back knots...rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I took the old line out and screwed in the pressure test caps (Kit from Summit that's proved invaluable). I aired up the line and dunked it in a bucket of water. One worries about braided steel lines rubbing on unprotected rubber lines so I was surprised to find that the leak was in the middle of the line. The line depressurized almost as fast as I could air it up.
Pulled and cleaned the fittings off the damaged line. They seemed functional and safe to re-use (test caps are the black objects below the fittings)
20170703-Oil Return Line-1.jpg

Measure off the new line against the old one and shorten things up a bit. Insert into the aluminum protectors for the bench vice and then cut using another line specific tool (although it creates a slight issue that needs to be addressed later). A single wrap of electrical tape through which one makes the cut prevents the fresh cut braids coming apart / fraying and making assembly a frustrating and bloody endeavour.
20170703-Oil Return Line-2.jpg 20170703-Oil Return Line-3.jpg 20170703-Oil Return Line-4.jpg

Using the vice to hold the fitting's base secure while inserting the line.
20170703-Oil Return Line-5.jpg

I use a 9mm deep socket to flare out the rubber that gets squished during the cutting (the drawback I noted earlier) along with a soap and water solution to assist in final assembly.
20170703-Oil Return Line-7.jpg 20170703-Oil Return Line-6.jpg

Screw in the fitting to complete the job and tighten.
20170703-Oil Return Line-8.jpg
Rinse and repeat for the other end.

I retested the completed line even though I was sure things were fine (not the first time I've done these things) and was glad I did because one end was leaking pretty badly so I redid things on that end and whatever I missed the first time I got right on the re-test.
Completed, the anodized fittings took a little bit of a beating because of my haste.
20170703-Oil Return Line-9.jpg

I got it back in, cleaned the floor and undersides, again, and will test drive it later. I'm sure glad I still don't have a front differential in there as it made this repair a lot easier. Front differential...that's for later this week.
Hope you like the write up and pictures. Enjoy the 4th of July tomorrow my friends. We've a lot to be thankful for.

i'm still running the A Team and considering replacing it. i never go past 2K rpm even at 70 mph. i get smoke and would like a quicker spool.

Flat country and a mid RPM range turbo... :p

I just downshift when it starts to smoke. With a 6.2 pump (fuels like a touch over a stock 6.5 pump) and the fuel screw buried I don't get smoke mainly because the trans shift points have been reprogrammed.

Got to remember what the asthma attack turbo was like and frankly there isn't much down low in the RPM range. Been driving the stock turbo 1992 around and I feel the GM1 choke while the auto refuses to shift up. :yuck: Unloaded a turbomaster and 1/4 fuel screw turn up is nice. The second the truck is put to work you may as well own a 454 for the fuel MPG. The auto really doesn't like to lug the crap out of the setup like it should with the small turbo. Quicker spool? Literally get a Ball Bearing Turbo. Otherwise you are really asking for a lower RPM that the turbo will boost at. Low RPM power is best left to a different engine. I got to think about the 5.9 (vs a 6.2) when I drive it as it loves low RPM and has the HP to back up the TQ at low RPM. (The 5.9 redlines a little over 3K so I am always missing 600 RPM.) Then I tuned it and put a big BB turbo on it and now don't worry about it.

After running both a spool valve and high stall converter I like the higher stall converter better. The QSV still had to wait for the too tight for it's own damn good converter to let vehicle speed give the engine some RPM. The AC and fan along with temperature derate really makes the wait for RPM worse. With the stall I can't do a brake stand because the rear brakes won't hold when the ATT lights off. The converter puts the engine turbo into the powerband for a hard 2 solid lines of rubber launch that everyone wants and then locks up. Over 45 MPH you don't know it's stalled. Only around town with the higher RPM below 45 do you notice the converter. I say it again: Full power from a dig and then running max RPM to get every bit of power out of a 6.2. When I don't need power I can lug the converter locked up till it starts to smoke out the exhaust.

@Will L. So if anyone asks I would recommend there not be a 3rd QSV. Rather spend the money on a high stall converter with a better lockup clutch. The high stall converter also makes up for one thing all the different turbo's in the world including compounds can't do: overcomes the large RPM drops in the 4L80E gear setup.

i have a full manual 4L80 and TCC switch. i have to shift to change gears.
think i will put the ATT on the shelf and install the one off the 96.
if i decide to part out the 96, ill put that turbo on it with a TM. can't seem to get anyone to buy the whole truck so parting it out is the only option i see. can sell engine, trans, make a bed trailer, scrap the rest..........

i have a full manual 4L80 and TCC switch. i have to shift to change gears.
think i will put the ATT on the shelf and install the one off the 96.
if i decide to part out the 96, ill put that turbo on it with a TM. can't seem to get anyone to buy the whole truck so parting it out is the only option i see. can sell engine, trans, make a bed trailer, scrap the rest..........

This the one with 19.5" tires on it? Maybe make a for sale thread on here. With a TM and slight bump on fuel the trucks do feel peppy as a unloaded DD - should help sell it.

Don't feel bad. I have not had any hits on my project truck so I have been driving it around. Getting the kinks out of the engine replacement as it has 1000 miles on it now. It fits in the garage so "keeping it on ice" in the 117 degree weather has it's advantages when I need to go somewhere.

the 93 had the 19.5's but installed 235/85/16's. the turbo will go on the 93 and the fuel is already turned up.
i'll try to sell here but as soon as i get the time/energy, i will start stripping.

Ahem, the new turbo oil return line is holding up just fine. I can't figure what caused the old one to leak at the middle of the hose though. It wasn't rubbing on anything and was well away from the exhaust manifold...I'll add some unsightly heat wrap to the line near the exhaust anyway...just in case.
I got the step bars back on yesterday, that was a one man band choreographic challenge with jack stands, jack, trying to get the bolts to line back up. I may have said a few of 'them words' when I got beaned by the mount as it slipped off the jack.
Still, it looks good to be going back together even if it is just a little by little.

Back