• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pseudo-Resto 96 K-1500…Um, when was this a good idea?

Vids are pretty shaky given one-handed iPhone operations whilst driving and trying to keep things in frame. Then there's the annoying narrator's dialogue....
Consider it my Christmas present to everyone in not inducing motion sickness.
Maybe SS Force will swing by and he can take the video from his Duramx. It might improve my 0-60 times too, what with him pushing me down the road...
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's.

Good to hear you're back in town for the holidays. I would be happy to make the time to come down and get some 0-60's with your rig. In turn we could see what mine will do as I haven't really tried to lay down a time. I bet with a little "PUSH" we could get you some pretty impressive times :D

Went out a couple of days ago to try to get better videos. Well I got to my usual spot and was getting ready to set up when I was passed by some prick doing well over the speed limit. He had company too, a couple of cars with flashy lights on top! Figured it two ways. Cops are gone, good time to make the runs or, smarter, there's going to be more cops coming so just clear out and let it go for now. Answer two was the correct choise. Dude was hitting 100mph on the straights and they ended up pitting him.
I came home and ran my previous video against a stop watch a few times and [FACE PALM] realized that I was over optimistic and a bit slow on my '1-Onethousand, two-onethousand...' counts. My 0-60 times are actually closer to 11 seconds which is nothing to be bragging about so, forget about reshooting vids..."move along, nothing to see here" (hits 'Post Reply' with red-face).

I drove your truck. It is a truck worth bragging on.

Besides, you have flashy lights to. Yours just dont come with silver bracelets;)

Over 100 in Nevada hits a felony now days. I find myself quite content at 95 in anything...

As Sam said at the end of the Lord of the Rings, 'Well, I'm back." Job change possibly this Friday means I'll be working as a part-time guy and 'on call.' It's all good, I'm ready for a break as I've been burning the candle at both ends far too long now.
To the last couple of posts about WOT, I had a PMD go bad on me which, thankfully, was under warranty so it was swapped out by Bill no questions asked other than to confirm what was happening. Still, it was quite a surprise when it happened to AK and I. Good thing we weren't in Vegas on a Friday night. Oh yeah, it was Vegas and it was Friday night and there were a lot of fast approaching tail pipes....

Currently, the truck is going to become a DD soon as I will be selling the VW TDI Touareg back. The 2011's software/set up can't be amended so its either keep it as is or, sell it back/trade it in. The 2015 3.0 TDI "fix" isn't approved yet so the one I have on hold won't be available to purchase until after I've sold back the 2011.

Got the truck insured, hooked the batteries up and after a couple of crank sessions it fired right up. Very happy sounding. Smith's (Kroger) up the road just opened a new 'super store' and was selling fuel at $0.20 off per gallon. Filled it up! Unfortunately, the current turbo/injector set up is much too smoky. Going to put AK's GM-5 and OEM injectors in it next and see what happens. Marine Units in there now but, like the S-84 Turbo, too big for my needs.

I did get the Heath upgraded GM-8 Center section (Hurricane 7) while I was away so I've got that one put together on a junked out GM-8 'core' I purchased. It will be interesting to put that one on next to see what the differences are. I know, Pictures or it didn't happen. I need to figure out the MAC Book first (another addition before I found out I wasn't going to be a spendthrift anymore).

Here's the GM-8 core with Hurricane 7 Center Section assembly. This is the same core I posted about in post #225 on page 12. It looks a little better now after media blasting, ceramic (black) and powder coatings (silver).
IMG_8509.JPG
Hurricane 7 center section.
IMG_8386.JPG IMG_8391.JPG

Assembled
IMG_8514.JPG

And no, it isn't a 'wicked wheel.' I got one and they aren't the same.

So you going to be around more now?

Yes. It looks that way, until the command realizes that they shouldn't have move the full time position to another state. Catch 22 as it is now. No work in Utah cause I'm constantly out of state working another exercise series so, why have someone in Utah when the main effort is in Texas so, let's move the full time job to....not Texas. I'm very much looking forward to the break though I can tell you that. Except, Maggie graduated with her degree in construction management so all my 'honey do' lists come with check list, time allotment and inspection schedule....

Good to hear you're back at it. Ya know, if that was a db2 drinking free fuel, that s84 and big injectors would be able to stay... haha.

That truck sure did drive nice, even with the mystery drag. Is that ghost still haunting?

It would be nice to see numbers of that vs the wicked wheel if you ever get bored.

Let me ask this question, just trying to get the general consensus. When executing a 0-60 run for time, I start the count when I hit the pedal, not when the truck starts moving. Is that what is considered the norm or, should I start the clock on motion? I hate to cheat myself but, more to the point, I don't want to cheat the group.

0-60 is supposed to be your quickest time. So you should be doing a boosted launch. 1 foot on the brake holding it back, one on the throttle at the floor. Drop the brake pedal & start to count. Experience will tell you when you're 0 to 60 time can be improved by less throttle to control wheel spin, boost level, etc.

If you dyno'd the engine and calibrated the tc/trans properly, you should be able do do the math for the perfect rpm to hold the engine at for the launch.

I agree with Will, that tells us the quickest acceleration the truck is capable of. Having said that, I do see how a 0-60 run from a non-boosted launch is also nice because it tells how well your combination develops boost from a stop - which is more representative of driving on the street. I prefer to do boosted launches myself since it is the quicker time and it's just plain fun, however when I was doing my testing of different components I did non-boosted because it told more of a story I felt...and was more repeatable. So I guess it's a matter of what you're trying to accomplish....

Now, if you were at the track your time would start when the tree hit green, so there would be the reaction time added into your elapsed time.

Me? I would start my stopwatch on releasing the brake pedal with a boosted brakestand launch or unboosted dead stop launch.

Installed the GM-8 with "Hurricane 7" center section last night. Wow, this truck is actually fun to drive again. Initially I was very underwhelmed but, that was because I failed to install the Turbo Master. I was puzzled because the smoke never cleared and boost never came up. When I got home from the test drive I had an immediate face palm moment. In my defense, I've run non-wastegated Turbos pretty much steady since 2011 and when I did put my GM-5 on, it already had the TM installed. I had my TM on AK's GM-5 as I was going to run that one before the Hurricane mod but, I changed my mind. So, this morning I swapped the TM onto this GM-8 and very much enjoyed the lack of smoke, quick spool up, turbo whine, the whoosh sound as you let off the throttle. I'm heading up to see Bill on Monday and will get a new tune put in and then I'll run some numbers for ya'll. Suffice it say, I changed my signature block as I'm taking the A-Team, the GM-4 and the S-84 back to Heath's as "Offerings to the Gods of Speed."

Back