• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

. . . do you think there is any benefit to wrapping the pipe from the turbo to the IC and from the IC to the upper intake plenum? I was just wondering if it would help keep the engine bay heat out of the intake system and keep the charge air temps down. These pipes are ceramic coated alluminum.

Seeing as the intake pipes already have ceramic coating, I am voting that adding more insulation is just bling without benefit.

I would be worried the wrap might cause issues with the coating. Had some 4.3 headers Jot Hot coated about 15yrs ago and the coating failed after about three years of exposure to heat, dirt, and crud. It was a wheeler and spent alot of time in the dirt but I was still disappointed. I am sure the tech has improved since then but it left a bad taste in mouth. I vote no on the wrap.

hey what's goin' on with this build? huh? the suspense is killing me, all of the goodies and what-have-you.... NEEED VIDEO! please.

Hey guys, we're finally getting somewhat settled in the new house so I've been trying to get motivated to get back to work on the Burb, I know some folks have been wondering why someone would spend so much on a 20 year old truck, so here's a couple of pics to help explain why it's worth it to me. It has been garaged since new, 120K miles on it, all original paint and the interior is nicer than the exterior and all custom leather that still smells like new leather with tons of $ spent on electronics.photo 1.jpgphoto 4.jpg

I was able to finish up the turbo mock up today, I got the drive pressure sensor line installed and had to do a little to the heat shield to allow clearance for the turbo oil drain, here's some pics.IMG_0267.jpgIMG_0266.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_0271.jpgIMG_0273.jpgIMG_0274.jpgIMG_0276.jpgIMG_0267.jpgIMG_0266.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_0271.jpgIMG_0273.jpgIMG_0274.jpgIMG_0276.jpg

Hey Jay, I have not installed the P400 in the vehicle yet, the photo's here are just mock up with the old engine still in the vehicle. I have been busy with other things and I am still waiting on the guy to get my heads done to assemble the P400. I have however machined the TC cover but obviously have not installed it on the P400. Didn't you buy one of these engines? Did you get it installed yet?

I have however machined the TC cover but obviously have not installed it on the P400. Didn't you buy one of these engines? Did you get it installed yet?

P-400 install is in the last stages and the reason for asking bout the cover.

If the cover mod is done and works by 'dry-fit', any chance of pics and details on how much to shave?

TC Cover

Here ya go Jay, I just looked closely at the two engines and it looks like you just need to remove that hump that goes around the oil pan on the none P400. If you look at it closely the girdle is flush with the bell housingIMG_0342.jpgIMG_0341.jpg so this is what I did. Like I said not real close on getting the motor installed so you may need to tell me if this works.

EGT PROBES

Hey guys, do you know if all EGT probes are the same? Can you change the length of the wire and still maintain accuracy? My EGT probe that came with my VDO gauges is siezed up and I have to twist the wire when unscrewing it from my X over pipe. I have a nice stainless EGT probe that came with a Edge programmer for a 7.3 Ford that is in nice shape but I would have to cut it shorter and put new wire eyelets on to attach to my existing VDO EGT harness, can I do this and still maintain accuracy? Or do I have to contact VDO and try and get a replacement?

You can not change the metallurgy of the wire or connectors. You can not solder them. You would have to get a hold of the two mfrs and find out what they each use to see if they are the same. Then you need to get that type metal connector for them.

Omega is the best supplier for different types in stock in my experience.

Most use K couples, but you gotta check with the manufacterer of the gauge. You can extend the wiring but only with proper EGT gauge wiring otherwise you alter its readings. I picked some up off Ebay for $15.

Hey folks, I know I have not posted here in a while, just been posting on the Dplace when posting.. Anyways I'm back at work on the Burb due to a oil leak on the PS valve cover so the next major move is to pull the IP and get it turned up. I also think the OEM fuel filter housing has a minor leak so I was under the truck trying to see where to mount this Catapillar fuel/water separator P/N 1466695 that I bought a while back and I think I've located a good safe spot for it but I wanted to try and find out it's filtration capabilities before I weld a mount for it. So I googled the part number but couldn't find any specs on it, anyone have any idea where I can find this info? As always thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 6
Hey good to see ya!
I have no idea about the filter specs, I would be calling the local Cat dealership and asking, but closed today. Please post if you find out- could be a nice set up with the clear bowl- me likey.

You aware of Leroy’s new reusable valve cover gaskets? Check em out- thats what I plan on using when I redo mine here soon.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/new-technology-valve-cover-gaskets.46742/

PART DETAIL
menu-bar-bottom-arrow.png

ALTERNATE PARTSRELATED PARTSPART APPLICATIONS

Part Detail P553205

Donaldson Part P553205.
Description FUEL FILTER, WATER SEPARATOR SPIN-ON TWIST&DRAIN.
Primary Application CATERPILLAR ENGINES 1466695.
Stock Type Stocked
Pack Quantity 1.
Efficiency Efficiency 99%:15 Micron .
Brand Twist&Drain™.
Efficiency 99% 15Micron.
Gasket ID 77MM.
Gasket OD 86MM.
Length 194MM.
Outer Diameter 93MM.
Primary Application CATERPILLAR 1466695.
Style Spin-On.
Thread Size 1-14 UN.
Type Water Separator.
Bar Code 74233019559.
image_not_available.jpg

Attributes Outer Diameter 3.66 inch (93 mm) Thread Size 1-14 UN Length 7.62 inch (193.5 mm) Gasket OD 3.39 inch (86.2 mm) Gasket ID 3.05 inch (77.5 mm) Efficiency 99% 15 micron Efficiency Test Std SAE J1985 Emulsified H2O Efficiency 95.00 Percent Type Water Separator Style Spin-On Brand Twist&Drain™ Media Type Cellulose Primary Application CATERPILLAR 1466695

Couldn't find any specs from Cat but the replacement filters seem to have these specs

Hey thanks AK. So doesn't the OEM filter only filter to 12 microns? And the Cat is 15 microns? How many micron filter should I try to get for final filtering? The only place I have to put a filter with the exception of on the DS on the outside of the frame rail is make a bracket to mount a short Racor on the intake where the OEM filter is mounted. I don't like this location for two reasons, heat and fuel in the engine valley when changing filters. I would like to just use one if possible. I'm going to a Racor dealer tomorrow to see what they have available. Also I would like to mount a Amsoil pre lube pump and oil filtration system somewhere.

Back