• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

Here is some pics of my air box mod, I bought this Trans Am fender vent to put in the PS fender to feed the airbox but it wont fit with the factory fender flares. If anyone has a truck without fender flares and wants this let me know, I wont be useing it I have found something else that I think will fit with the fender flare. I can never get these pics to load in the order that I want.

Geez, the airbox looks familiar:

attachment.php

PM me with the cost for your guy to fab it. You should be getting noticeable turbo whine out of that set-up.

To me thats cool for about 5 minutes then Im just done. Its really fatiguing to me (like having a leaky window weather strip)
Does this mean Im getting old?

Yep. I used to drive a Civic back in the 80's with a hot rodded engine, header, straight pipe and it didn't bother me, now drone and loud exhaust on daily drivers are too much.

Its actually not annoying.

To me thats cool for about 5 minutes then Im just done. Its really fatiguing to me (like having a leaky window weather strip)
Does this mean Im getting old?

Yes, you're beyond old. I'm in the same boat. Even Colby complains about the turbo whine of his ATT as accentuated by the Heath Cold Air intake. I tell him that people pay good money to hear that.

I'm old too, do you think it will still be loud even with the silencer ring in the turbo? What about some Dynamat on the airbox?

Yes, you're beyond old. I'm in the same boat. Even Colby complains about the turbo whine of his ATT as accentuated by the Heath Cold Air intake. I tell him that people pay good money to hear that.

I've heard a saying: If it's too loud, you're too old. Seems to be the theme with rock n roll also.

Yeah but like that country song says "I'm still good once as I ever was" :hihi:

My son, then 15, complained about the turbo whine when we first got the truck. Initially, it reminded me of the first 'upgrade' stereo installs that had that tetrodyne (sp) whine coming off the alternators requiring noise filters.

Now, I barely hear any of my turbo's with the Heath Gen1/S&B Airbox.

I wished I could fab like that, I paid someone to build it, same guy that did my new IC pipes. Where did you get that scoop on the fender?

You might try talking to the guy at Run Cool hood louvers which sourced my side vents. He is willing to make a shorter version that the one's I run for exhausting heat out the sides for use as intakes.
I just looked the site up. It seems he's using my truck in photo number three...anyway, give him a call as he is willing to do 'one-off's.'
Side 2.jpg

To post the pictures in the order you want; after loading them up for posting, deselect them all and then reselect them one at a time and "insert on line" one at a time.

I kinda miss the turbo whistle but I agree, it can get annoying at times.

My son, then 15, complained about the turbo whine when we first got the truck

At that age, chances are his hearing truly is more acute as when I grew up I could actually tell when a CRT style TV (with the sound 'Off') or computer monitor was 'On' as I could hear the electron guns. And dimming the lights could get painful, as well as getting close to some mercury lights.

Fortunately I had many girls as (just) friends and I developed finely tuned selective hearing as a result. The Wife hates this feature :D

But . . . Enough of all this whining stuff. Back to the P-400 build!!! :hihi:

Paveltolz,

If I remember right, you have louvers in your hood. What happens with the water when it rains? Doesn't it get all over your engine? Or was that somebody else?

Paveltolz,

If I remember right, you have louvers in your hood. What happens with the water when it rains? Doesn't it get all over your engine? Or was that somebody else?
Yeah, I'm one of the guys around with them on the hood. 635 has a set as well as a couple other members here.

The water that does get in just falls on the motor and evaporates. No issues in the almost 4 years I've had them on but I make sure my electrical connections are sealed with dilectric grease too. Water comes up from the bottom when driving anyway. Car washes are fun watching the steam coming out the hood.

Hey guys, I got my header wrap and steel ties in the other day and I plan on wrapping the crossover pipe and my upper down pipe, do you think there is any benefit to wrapping the pipe from the turbo to the IC and from the IC to the upper intake plenum? I was just wondering if it would help keep the engine bay heat out of the intake system and keep the charge air temps down. These pipes are ceramic coated alluminum.

If you have an IAT gauge try it and see if it helps. Kind of don't think it will though.

Back