• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil pump?

Yes, bad chain can mess with oil pressure. But if you have it at a set rpm for a long time (20 seconds or more), the oil pressure will not be varied by the chain slop.

Correct, 1/2” deflection of chain is end of tolerance- just like 8 psi is ok oil pressure at idle. Being at worst tolerance doesn’t mean just run it hard anf act like it is a reliable rig to drive out of state. I have seen chains way worse than 1/2” go a long time, also seen them fail with less stretch.

If you rebuild, eliminate known weaknesses. The 6.5 can be one of the best Diesel engines there is if everything gets delt with, without the corrections it is a huge hunk of crap. Get timing gears from Leroy instead of crappy a chain that will stretch out in 30k miles again.

I'd get it running right before I dumped a bunch of money in it

Absolutely. I hadn’t planned on replacing anything that didn’t pertain to the OP dropping off. I just got to thinking about a loose chain causing the cam not to run smooth and therefore not drive the oil pump smoothly so since I could see it thought I’d ask about it.

I got to wondering if the bouncing of the pressure gauge could be caused by a loose timing chain. Since the pan is off I can see the chain and it’s seems it’s pretty loose.

Is there a spec or a general guideline on how much deflection there should be in the chain?

First off, No it's not part of your problem. The chains go on tight enough to be a guitar string. 30K later they are sloppy as they can't handle the shock loads from the IP. They stretch more than wear. Here is how I know it's not your issue: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/1992-6-5td-rescue.44332/page-2#post-505147

Here is what the gear set looks like.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/moose-call.46822/

Wow! I could see why you said it didn’t sound right. With a chain that loose and the crank sprocket apparently moving back and forth several degrees.

I’m just going to replace the pump and see how it goes. I feel pretty confident that will be the fix especially after seeing the condition of the pump gears and the rtv on the pickup screen. Just need the time to get out there and get it done.

Wow! I could see why you said it didn’t sound right. With a chain that loose and the crank sprocket apparently moving back and forth several degrees.

I’m just going to replace the pump and see how it goes. I feel pretty confident that will be the fix especially after seeing the condition of the pump gears and the rtv on the pickup screen. Just need the time to get out there and get it done.
Anxiously waiting for the report. LOL

Ok finally got her back together and on the road today. It’s holding 18 psi at hot idle. That’s definitely better than it was doing also gauge was not bouncing like it was before and never dropped and then came back up either so I’d say a definite improvement. But I’m still worried what the pressure is going to look like when it’s 90 degrees outside. It looked fine today but it was about 50 here. What do you all think?

You are well within specs, I would not be afraid to run with that kind of OP.
Thank You for posting back in the results, always nice to see success.

Back