• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Moose Call...

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
After poor Patch has been sitting for months with officially failed emissions rather than just blowing out the sensor to pass on "test equipment issues" it's time to get a good DB2 pump. All the 6.2 pumps I have laying around have shot timing advance or worse problems. The used 6.5 Pump I obtained looses timing at anything over 1/2 throttle. So it looses the diesel clatter and blows white. Nevermind the "I can check my watch twice" on the way to the governed max RPM on the snap test due to the pump going retarded. Half throttle it accelerates fine with clatter. Internal timing issues the pump rebuilders say.

So I just ordered Moose JUNIOR with all the trimmings. That would be the Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter aneroid! Just needs to momentarily limit fuel while the Yank stalls up and spools the ATT. Mainly adding the aneroid to pass emissions without, uh, adjusting the pump's fuel screw every year. Just because I can do it in my sleep, well, I have better things to do.

I went with the JUNIOR because I have the 6.5 NA precups, questionable 6.2 bottom end, and would rather be under fueled than smoking overfueled.

Conestoga Diesel Injection is recommending 1800-1900 PSI pop pressure. I have 2150 pop in it now.

Hopefully it will start better with a good pump: Like the Banana project did would be nice.

Trying to talk myself into ripping off the front of the engine to drop @Burning oil Leroy Diesel's timing gear set in as well. From the amount I have to advance pumps I suspect the chain is stretched out again.

Last edited:
Just do the timing gears while its apart anyways. That way the pump timing is set it and forget it like diesels are supposed to be. Otherwise your gonna do the pump now, set the timing, and wonder what’s being left on the table, and adjusting it next year anyways.

That’s really wierd about the pressure. I have heard they keep Telling folks those pressures. I wonder if it is because they are so used to Fords, trying to extend pump life, or what.

Ever watch the slow mo pattern on 1850 compared to 2150? Let alone 2350... Imo 1850 belongs in an n/a engine, but they could be doing something with their pump that makes an improvement on the low side. I know lower pressure means a bit more volume, but thats why you drive the pump up to compensate for higher pop pressures because the higher pop pressure gives better atomization.

GM went soft on injector pop pressures to be more forgiving on the timing loss from the chain fiasco. Even if a person has a chain, I prefer higher pressures and retime the engine more often for the added power, and mpg gains.

Do it right the first time and you don't have to do it a second time. Why put a brand new, tight pump on with a worn chain that'll keep on wearing and losing time? Why tear down the front a second time to install a gear set when you could have done it when you were there the first time?

Sure you can't make one good pump out of all of those pumps? LOL! It's like cracked heads for the anchor collection!

All the parts came together and the Moose is being shipped today! Should arrive in time for Christmas! There was a delay for the puff limiter to get to them. Maybe from other presents clogging up shipping?
Awesome! I hope you like it, I have loved mine.

Got lucky. Water pump was leaking from the weep hole so it was due for a warranty exchange. Chain was the usual slop including pressure distortion on the sprockets.

See if you can see how I got lucky.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
g.jpg
g2.jpg

Not sure what it ate. Chain ate it as well, scratched the cover too with a shard raised up. :eek: Lucky it didn't lockup and break the chain. I found some hard gasket material in the timing case area - or that was from removal of everything.

gc.jpg

IMG_20171229_161119134 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20171229_162222620 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back