• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oddball thermostats.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.. but if my temp needle is reading 1 1/2 lines under the 210 mark that means I'm running at 200 degree correct? I'm attaching a pic (Sorry haven't cleaned the truck in quite a while..) I am sitting idling and the temp keeps bouncing between there and the line just below it... I'm pretty sure my temp gauge is reading a couple degrees warmer than the truck actually is.. cuz these are brand-new 195 thermostats and she almost hit the 210 Mark before they opened.

Attachments

• 15602995434531717522557.jpg
    15602995434531717522557.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
My buddy has one he will let me borrow...but after I posted that question I ran her up a steep hill.. power-wise and she blew right up it... But by the time I got to the top she was waaay past the 210 mark.. I don't know what's going on.. just seems like for some reason she can't stay cool..

The #8 cylinder is the hottest point of the engine that has a location to read temps from. I normally add a manual gauge there.
The dash gauge is junk imo.

I agree with AKDD- scan what the crossover is reading for comparison.

What waterpump are you running?

There's no water in the oil so I don't think I have a cracked block or blown head gasket..

The stock water pump is still in it.. have a brand new duralast one sitting on the seat.. right next to the brand new AC Delco harmonic balancer and pulley and timing chain and front main seal.... They were supposed to be put in 2 weeks ago.. but as is always my luck other things are always in his shop....

Look real pretty sitting there don't they..

Attachments

• 1560303816124376164513.jpg
    1560303816124376164513.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3
And go ahead and start yelling I know I should not have bought a duralast... It's what I could afford

No one yelling. I have had to get a waterpump from junkyard so- we get it.
Was wondering if 4 bolt pump or spin on. And was thinking you already put on the new one mentioned before but could not remember which you got

It really sucks no more new take offs from peninsular. $70 after shipping for a new spin on delco was killer. Ah, back in my day, could see a flicker show with a soda pop and popcorn for a nickel....haha.

It's a 4 bolt... Only because nobody in my area could get the spin on style tow haul fan clutch..... Of course it doesn't matter because that was a waste of money to because it doesn't kick on till it hits like 215degrees. On the gauge

You Can do a fanclutch mod.
Also, have you pulled and cleaned the stack? Dirty stack will let Engine temps run wild and have clutch not work well because of the goofy air flow.

I would seriously consider either sending that pump back and find spin on online cheap as possible if you can return the fanclutch.

Or maybe you can do the electric fanclutch like AK Diesel Driver did, but find clutch and fan at junkyard.

The other option is get the hmmwv full lockup fanclutch on the 4 bolt. Just have to watch ebay, or try Teds.

BTW Will..I do apologize..I wasn't aimimg the yelling comment at you or Ak...just kinda getting tired of some guys saying ONLY buy xxx from xxx... As an example when I was hunting for a harmonic balancer and pulley.. yourself and a k both told me ACDelco would be fine .. even a dorman would do it short term till finances allowed better... But there were other guys that insist fluidampr....just kinda makes me want to ask them for there Visa card number cuz clearly they are better off than I am..lol..
Really doesn't help me being out of work all this time trying to get this thing to run right...kinda getting stressed out about it...

We pulled the radiator and hosed it..it was covered with grease and junk on one side from when the old oil cooler was leaking.. we hosed it out pretty good.. maybe we should try washing it with some kind of degreaser even though it looks clean maybe it still has build up in the fins that we can't really see.. I even thought about cutting my grill... Because it's the design that has the very thin slits not the wide ones to let air thru better.

I got how you meant it bro- its all good.

I’ve used engine degreaser, oven cleaner, scrubbing bubbles, a/c coil cleaner, and just a hose with the soap drafting bottles full of Dawn dishsoap. They all kinda work, and all kinda suck.

I was thinking like a heavy duty kitchen degreaser.. like you use in a restaurant kitchen.. just got to make sure it won't hurt aluminum.

BTW Will..I do apologize..I wasn't aimimg the yelling comment at you or Ak...just kinda getting tired of some guys saying ONLY buy xxx from xxx... As an example when I was hunting for a harmonic balancer and pulley.. yourself and a k both told me ACDelco would be fine .. even a dorman would do it short term till finances allowed better... But there were other guys that insist fluidampr....just kinda makes me want to ask them for there Visa card number cuz clearly they are better off than I am..lol..
Really doesn't help me being out of work all this time trying to get this thing to run right...kinda getting stressed out about it...
You either have a 6.5 because you like Old School stuff or it's what you can afford. I like a challenge, most of the time.

That spot on the gauge is roughly 195. The large mark between 160(should be 100) and 210 is 180.

Out of curiosity..how would you go about checking out a engine before you bought it..bud bought it for a 93 k3500...prob is the engine came out of a 98..... He got it in then realized the wiring would not work... So he decided he's going to put a 454 in it... He's offering me the engine for under a grand just to get rid of it...

Without having it hooked up to an engine harness from a compatible truck, the only thing I can think you could check is compression, which is one of the things I would be most concerned about. If possible pull the pan and check for web cracks.

To save their gauges leave much to be desired is a great understatement... I was actually thinking about getting one of those OBD2 plugs someone told me about that Bluetooth to a tablet or smart phone.. I know there's apps you can download "not sure which ones are good or bad" but some of them will give you a real-time digital gauge display that's actually accurate..

Back