• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oddball thermostats.

Stoney

Reaction score
So here's an interesting one.. I bought a set of 180 degree thermostats...they are STANT brand. part number 13358... I'm kind of confused.. they came in two different kinds of boxes.. they do not have the rubber housing around them like the stock OEM ones..they just have a rubber gasket ring that you put around the outside edge.. which I guess that part is fine.. but what gets me.. to look at them they do not look the same.. I'm attaching pictures.. personally I had never heard of this brand..but the lady at Nu-Way Auto which is an ACDelco dealer said they've been around forever and are very reliable so I took her word for it... Do any of y'all have any info or opinions.. I did take them out the box and temperature test them in some hot water they don't open till about 195 or so degrees according to my turkey thermometer..do these go in like the normal ones with the big rubber housings or is there anything else I need to know or should I take these back?? any info would be appreciated.. as always I appreciate it guys..

Here's the pics

Attachments

• KIMG1508.JPG
    KIMG1508.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 15601410451911917722306.jpg
    15601410451911917722306.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 15601411459981727300864.jpg
    15601411459981727300864.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 7
One more pic.. they are both fully closed..but see how one thermostat is shorter than the other overall and ones plunger comes out past the housing and the other one is recessed.

Attachments

• 15601412185991075631792.jpg
    15601412185991075631792.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
Wonderful..ok thanks will... So here's my question does anybody have the part number for AC Delco 180-degree thermostat. Because according to all the local parts houses they don't exist.

Of course the problem is.. all the big chain parts stores..either ask you for your vehicles info and all they can tell you is what the computer tells them goes in it... Or if you have a part number you can give that to them then they can get it.. sometimes.. I know usually if I want anything ACDelco they told me it's a vendor only I have to pay for it upfront and it takes a week to get it

(Or Robertson part number).. sorry I keep hitting the post reply button then thinking of other things to say.

Where do I get a bad feeling this is not something I'm going to find in a parts store even if I have the part numbers

I'd like to point something out.. when 1 put a 195 degree thermostat in a pot of hot water it doesn't get fully open till 206 degrees.. and that was an AC Delco.. You guys tell me not to get the engine anywhere close to 210.. it just seems weird that general motors only left a small window from or your thermostat opens to a point where your block starts getting damaged..

Hey Will... Worst case scenario... I know you said the stant brand ones are junk but they do open and close.. should they be okay for a week or two until I can get the ACDelco ones shipped here.. because that's the truck since right now my options are do that or run it with no thermostats.Fargo get instead of duralast from AutoZone LOL and we know their usually junk.. one of the two that was in the truck was barley opening at all..I took it up to 235 degrees (in a pan of water)before it fully opened)

Yuppers. Just pay attention to the temp gauge.
195 vs 180- That is why those of us in the southwest dry climate (lack of humidity makes radiators not work efficiently) sacrifice a fraction of mpg- for that extra minute or two of headroom between singing the song "today is a good day" and just abandoning the rig on the side of the hiway.

There is part of I15 from Cali to Vegas that has signs along it warning people to turn off their a/c because of vehicles overheating. scorch marks about every mile where rigs have burned to the ground from those who think that doesn't apply to them in their new car. The 6.5 owner needs to pay attention more than the average driver. The closer attention they pay, the longer life that engine gets.

Somehow that reminds me of the sign I saw on one of the desert highways out there when I was driving semi..." It said something to the effect of "speed limit 85, not enforced ,warning your on your own" or something to that effect...I know I drove for hours and didn't see another living breathing person.. that was great!!

Check Kennedy Diesel? or check Leroy Diesel?

There are 2 types of ACDelco.
IIRC, the good one are the OE lines.
The other lines is called Professional.
Hopefully, I am not reversing the fact.

Last edited:
Motorad makes acdelco aftermarket line of t-stats now(not sure about the oem equivalent). I've never had a problem with stant myself, used them many times in the past with no trouble.

Ok thanks..did you see the pics I posted of the 2 stant ones I bought?.. they seem to open and close fine.. the only thing that worried me was that if you set them side-by-side they look different.. but the foxes both have the same part number on them .... I was just reading on another forum there robertshaw is actually made in China now.. but for anybody interested the part number for Robert Shaw is 330 - 180.

Back