• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to diesels and tooj on a 6.5 turbo diesel project

OK part should be here today I was just thinking that since I already bought the obd1 to obd2 adapter I could Souder the USB port u linked with a couple wires to the obd2 side that way It would be permanent and I could plug in as needed
honestly the way I have mine setup, since that USB adapter is the only thing that gets connected to the truck. I leave the two wires stuck into the ALDL connector under the dash all the time. the USB thing is stuffed into the dash and when I need to connect the laptop, I just pull the USB out and connect it.

I have often thought about soldering the two wires making a permanent connection under the dash, getting a USB extension ran and secured somewhere so that the adapter becomes part of the truck harness so to speak. then I only have a USB plug there to connect to for the laptop.

The nice added plus that I found out about this adapter is that I can also use an android tablet and create a "digital" dash gauges and do some data logging too with an app called ALDLdroid. it takes some time to setup, but I have used it. also used Tuner Pro RT to do some of the same thing on the laptop.

My end game plan is once I get around to investing into an android stero head unit. I want to connect the adapter to it and load the app there. But that is for another possible thread to post here :)

I have thought about running the second harness.
The current PMD is a Dorman and seems to be functioning just fine.
The backup unit, in the jockey box, it is a Stanadyne grey box.
I see that Leroy Diesel now makes an extension harness for the Stanadyne grey box unit and thought that would be a good addition to compliment the supplies I have on hand.
Then if the Dorman fails switch over to the greybox harness, when the new lifetime warranty Dorman unit arrives mount and plug it to the harness and have it ready if that Stanadyne unit fails.
Same here for me. I have been running that El'cheapo amazon chineesium junk box I got with the heatsink I ordered for the longest. so far it hasn't let me down... Yet.... but I did score a pensacola diesel branded complete PMD with heatsink and harness from the pick a part yard a while back. it's laying in my tool box in the bed. I had tested it when I got it but haven't done anything with it.

Honestly I never had any luck with the paperclip method on my 95. although that was before I replaced the PCM. I have not tried it with the 94 PCM I have in it now. But I can tell you how to build your own USB cable with a $15 part off amazon and a free program for your windows laptop that should communicate with it. I had no issues with it myself and ended up investing into the licensed version of the program to have the extra features.

Here is how to do it.... to build your own cable. follow the DP link and order the part linked in the amazon link. then setup the software from GMTDscan (free version) the software will allow you to read and clear codes, see live data and a few more things without paying anything. if you want to set the timing after an IP replacement you will need to pay for the license.

Link to building the cable... Note: if there is an issue cross posting this forum link Please let me know. I can copy and paste the main details here instead.

the USB part you will need from amazon...

windows drivers for the USB amazon part... Note: you want both the VCP and V2xx drivers and set the device to com port 1 or 2 in the device manager. it's a limitation of the GMTDscan software that needs to be on com 1 or 2.

download GMTDscan basic version here... the licensed version is $100 on their website. I purchased it directly from them and a license was emailed to me.

windows drivers for the USB amazon part... Note: you want both the VCP and V2xx drivers and set the device to com port 1 or 2 in the device manager. it's a limitation of the GMTDscan software that needs to be on com 1 or 2 THIS PART I DONT UNDERSTAND DO I BUY THIS OR IS THIS A COMPUTER SET UP?? Also the site I seem to see people referring to Enochmotors spelled wrong but said they don't sell GMTDscan anymore its done with scanners so I'm a bit confused if I clear the codes and follow these instructions wont it do the sMe thing Screenshot_20230303-125006_Drive.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
windows drivers for the USB amazon part... Note: you want both the VCP and V2xx drivers and set the device to com port 1 or 2 in the device manager. it's a limitation of the GMTDscan software that needs to be on com 1 or 2 THIS PART I DONT UNDERSTAND DO I BUY THIS OR IS THIS A COMPUTER SET UP?? Also the site I seem to see people referring to Enochmotors spelled wrong but said they don't sell GMTDscan anymore its done with scanners so I'm a bit confused if I clear the codes and follow these instructions wont it do the sMe thing View attachment 80286
Meaning can't I do this with the the USB driver u referred to that should be here today

what site showed they don't sell the license for the software? I just looked again and it works for me. here is a direct link to the drivers for the USP device and the site where you purchase the license for GMTD.

if you are needing to perform the TDC offset relearn you will need to purchase the license, but for only reading codes and data it's free.

don't purchase it until you have the device setup and are able to use the free version to communicate with the truck.

for the free version of the same GMTD go to the downloads page and get the basic version.

install the drivers first, then once it's installed, connect the USB device (not connected to the truck yet) open device manager by right clicking on the windows icon at the lower left of the screen. you will see a pop up with some choices. look for "Device Manager"

once inside device manager look in the drop downs for "Ports" and you should find the FIDI USB device with a com port line this.. (COM3) behind it.

right click the device and choose "Properties" another window will open with various tabs at the top. look for port settings. once there, I believe to change the com port, it's inside the advanced button.

it's been a while since I have done this, so my instructions could be incorrect. alternatively you can try connecting to the truck as it is and see if it works. I believe for the first time in the GMTD software you do have to go into it's settings and choose which com port the device is on and there should be an option to tests it's connection.

But again don't spend the money on the paid license until you can connect to the truck. last thing I would want is for you to spend $100 on it when there are other issues where you can't connect to the truck's PCM.

if needed, after I get off work this afternoon, I will grab my laptop and go though all the settings myself and send you screenshots of anything you need, try to help get it connected before you spend money on it.

I get home usually around 4:30 - 5pm CST.

OK actually it was a shide diesel from Lafayette told me that and watched a YouTube guy with 2 6.5's one his one his wife's and he was using GMTDscan on his video I had my wife see how to order it since I got my phone and debit hacked trying to purchase and she said he said u didn't need it anymore but anyhow thanks for the link I will look into that code read part first and make my connector if it shows up today and let yall know

OK actually it was a shide diesel from Lafayette told me that and watched a YouTube guy with 2 6.5's one his one his wife's and he was using GMTDscan on his video I had my wife see how to order it since I got my phone and debit hacked trying to purchase and she said he said u didn't need it anymore but anyhow thanks for the link I will look into that code read part first and make my connector if it shows up today and let yall know
Me guessing on which youtube channel.... Jesse Pelkey's videos?

Now I do need to mention something here on setting the TDC relearn. you said you were new to working on these diesel engines and that you just installed a new injector pump....

Disclaimer: saddle up and get ready for a frustrating hair pulling ride!!

this process can be a very frustrating experience to get right. I do want to warn you of this. the slightest movement of the IP from it's position can through the timing off wildly, were talking about it rotating the amount of a hair follicle's width.

I'm not trying to scare you by any means. just a warning so you'll know what your up against having not experienced this before. were all here to help along the way.

I have seen this process go as easy as pie and also turn out to be a nightmare.

Last edited:
I’ve watched half dozen or so of his videos. Seems like a cool guy just fighting his way through the 6.5 and trying to share what he can. I’ve commented on a couple of them. I usually tell folks in comment sections to join us here. I figure 300 crazies is better than 200, right? Or am I crazy? Haha

He won’t have all the info right- no one does. All the guys on here that are all rockstars - there is always differences in understanding and opinions.

As to the BEST way to set the timing- start with a quality tps mounted to the side of your db2…

I don't understand converting it is that costly I checked the ses light and only hot code 12 over and over no actual codes for anything else I tried to clear te codes a week or two ago by pressing gas and brake simultaneously maybe it worked but I feel like I should have a code USB adapter come today I relocated pmd from pump to bumper and put it on a h s didn't get time to wire USB plug

Well it’s a good thing no codes came back right away. The codes will clear out when the battery is disconnected.

Other than just installing a new IP. What other issues did it have?

Back