• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 2.8L Colorado Duramax

Did my first (own) oil change last week. $30 in oil (Walmart sale) for 6 qts, $11 AcDelco Filter.. Easy as the the oil filter is on top in a canister style housing.

The fuel filters (2) are on the frame rail and is driven by an electric lift pump.. so once you swap them priming is easy. Filters were $30 for both.

Truck now has 15,800 miles on it. My 3rd service as the first two were free by the dealer.

Nice Jeff. Just as easy as the 6.6 Duramax?

Somewhat easier.. as the oil filter is up top, so you don't have take the old one off and catch the oil falling out, with the one on top just wrap shop towel around it and trash it. I wouldn't say much difference. The fuel filters are 100% easier though as they are on the frame rail and prime themselves.. :D

No issues! MPG is averaging around 23-24. My daily commute just kills the mileage.

I've got 24K on the truck now... might need tires by 30K, maybe 35 if I'm lucky.

If GM could just give us a smaller Diesel pick truck that would get 35 to 40 MPG or better, I know I am dreaming, heck I have said it before, I know I sound like a broke record...:)

Not a truck for hauling heavy loads, but one that could pull a riding mower on a trailer or a side by side on a trailer if need be. Mainly a vehicle that would make a heck of a daily driver that gets real great fuel mileage, that you could use to haul the trash off on the weekends, a great fishing or hunting truck to beat around in. Heavy towing duties would be left for our 2500HD and our 1/2 ton trucks.

Remember the Chevy LUV or Isuzu Diesel trucks of years ago, what kid of fuel mileage did they get? They were fuel mileage trucks and run around trucks and that was about it.

The diesel VW Rabbit pickup from the late 70's - 80's in 5-speed manual would get 50+ highway and low-mid 30's around town if you babied it.

Of course, those LUV/P'ups were much lighter and more primitive than today's current diesel Colorado. They also usually didn't have A/C, PS, PW or PL and usually just AM or AM/FM radio, too.

Yeah, but to keep it in perspective of the different fuel and power, I was one of the guys that saw 25- 27 mpg from 1/2 ton 6.2 trucks. And those trucks were not being babied or modified for ultimate mileage.
Driving those same rigs now guys do good to get 20mpg.
The old fuel had a lot to do with it.

You can find old information on btu per gallon of diesel in the 80’s vs now. Also where the crude came from. Nothing ever beat Texas sweet. Now the best from Texas is about the same yas average middle eastern was back then. Not going “yeah team!” It really was the best oil around.

Back