• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 2.8L Colorado Duramax

Now your talking, that's starting to sound a lot better for fuel mileage. Seems like after getting broke in some more, 30 plus MPG would be attainable with or without some tuning.

Everyone else on the forums average 28+ MPG.. me driving a lot in the city if I stay around 25MPG I will be happy.

Tuned/Deleted mid 30's is no problem!

It's not just weight, it's also frontal area, coefficient of drag, rolling resistance and drivetrain frictional losses, too.

You mean pushing a house is not equal to pushing a honda civic at 60mph?Lol. Im just trying to guage if it would return 15 mpg in a 7200lb beast or be a nice tiny engine in a massive engine bay getting 20mpg with the same performance as a 6.5TD. Ive been watching cummins 4BTs for a while but the duramax looks way more refined.

You need to see what power at what rpm.
The 6.5 doesnt have high numbers stock, but has a good power curve and likes sustained high rpm.

Being a more modern (read: electronically dependent) engine, idk if I would want to go fording much knowing all those electronics could be effected easily.
Also don't know how much help you can give it safely with bigger turbo/ injectors. Factory 6.5 gets it done in the hummer, but an extra few points make it a much happier ride. Many times when the engine is undersized, the mpg suffers compared to a larger engine laboring less.

I know of one company that popped a 2.8L duramax with compounds and tuning. Not sure of the specifics..

Also, not sure yet if anyone has made a standalone harness for the 2.8L.. also have to look at cost.. with '16 being the first year in the US I'm sure junkyard trucks are hard to find, and I'm sure the engine won't be cheap as well.

The one that popped I believe was north of 500 hp to the wheels for awhile before it let go. And even internationally I believe 14 was the 1st year of the 2.8l as they had a 3.0l DMAX engine in over seas versions till 13. And with the new ECM security that GM has patented, tuning of any new ECM may become a thing of the past. They slammed shut reading via the obd2 port in 2011 on the lml, but people found ways around it in the bosch ECM by jumping the internal data port read leg, and read them internally. The new L5P switched to DELHI, and slammed ALL doors shut now. So I expect to see this security trickle down to the rest soon if it proves as good as many say it is. Plug in boxes and death stacks will be all the rage again.

Real nice Jeff. How about some photos under the hood please? What rpms are you doing at highway speeds? I have seen a few up my way. I talked to the owners and they love them.

Interesting tidbit I heard today. A contractor friend happens to have a son in law that is one of the Wherli's, as in the big time Duramax tuner Wherli's. The one with the hotrod 70 pickup with a Duramax. They were given a baby Dmax Colorado to see what they could do with it and the conclusion after weeks of messing with it was to give up due to minimal gains in power that the block can hold... Or so he said.

Hmm. It would be interesting to see if they blew any up, and if so- what. Also at what power and how fid they do it.

Many people overheated or popped headgaskets,etc on 6.5 by trying to go 35-40 or more psi from a gmx turbo. But larger volume less pressure turbo, or multiple smaller turbos turned out to be the key. In otherwords, did they throw one or two ideas at it and just write it off?

Seeing all the specs of internal engine would be a good conversion point to go off of, combined with whatever components they had fail.

From what I hear there are a couple tunes out there, probably inline boxes? Sounds like they can grab 50 HP pretty easily and a bit more torque. Going beyond that, I have no idea.

From what I hear there are a couple tunes out there, probably inline boxes? Sounds like they can grab 50 HP pretty easily and a bit more torque. Going beyond that, I have no idea.

You can tune via EFILive. DuramaxTuner is doing a lot of marketing for the 2.8L.

Back