• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Gmornin TTS! Rubysdad I will try to see u, lot of Texas folk on the forum. Umm 635 tge goal is to NOT tackle them mountains! LOL Don I like the topo maps, how do I do that? That woukd be a great help on The Trip! How about the TCC mod on ur trip? Thanks Mschillingii be a while since u r on the return leg. What does ur name apply to????

Lord in heaven, I pray to You in the name of Jesus Christ. I pray for Bill as he travels that You will keep him safe. Please keep his truck running safely and reliably. May this trip be a mission trip for You. May You be glorified at every stop he makes. May he keep this Psalm in his heart as he travels across this great nation:

I will lift up my eyes to the hills— from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore. (Psalm 121:1-8)

If your coming north east I would love to meet you and chat Veg I also have fuel. Let me know.

Bill, I did a google search for "Oregon maps". The first one was easy,except that it was multiple steps. I clicked on "reply" at the bottom of the thread page, then "go advanced", then in that window "manage attachments". In that window I clicked " add files" in the upper right hand corner. The next window is small and in the top blue bar is "website", click on that. That brings up an even smaller window with a box titled "enter URL of the file". At that point I already had my chosen map in another browser. I "copied" the address of the map at the top of the page and "pasted" it into the URL box.Then I clicked on "upload" which transfered it to the new post.

I used the same process for the second and third maps, except that the map was way too big and had to be shrunk to fit. The shrinking process took the original 2094X1338 size map down to 800X600 size to fit the "manage attachments" requirements. The shrinking process, and adding the boxes and text, is where my daughter lost me, big time.

I didn't use the TCC mod on that trip, didn't think of it the only time it might have helped. The highway is good enough that I was able to keep speed up above 47 except for the last pull going up to the summit. That's when I could have used it, but forgot. Coming down the east side of the summit is about five miles of downhill, but good road, which drops about 2000 ft. There, at the upper end, I just dropped down to third gear to keep from picking up too much speed. Then down towards the bottom where there aren't anymore corners I just went back to fourth gear.

I'm going to post some pics of the area as promised last night. It just got too late for me and my slow hunt and peck typing after I had organized the pics.

Don

Not a problem, mschillingii its my first initial m for michael, schilling is my last name ii because i'm the second. I go by tj out of my middle name because there is to many michaels lol. I got 2 spare bed rooms one has a memory foam other has regular springs, you chose lol

Metolius Pics

Here they are, as promised. I just wish I knew how to put text between each pic.

The first pic was taken about five miles south of the town of Sisters, looking northwest. Black Butte is in the foreground on the right side of the pic. Mt Jefferson, with its' head in the clouds, is immediately to the left of Black Butte. Mt Washington is on the skyline to the far left.

The rest of the pics were taken from the fire lookout on Green Ridge. Green Ridge is a northern extension of Black Butte and is the eastern edge of the Metolius area.

In the second picMt Jefferson has its' head in the clouds to the right. The next pic continues from the left edge of this pic.

In this third pic all the high country with the snow is the summit of the Cascade Mountains and part of the Mt Jefferson Wilderness.

The "hill" on the left with the horizontal band of snow is the base of Three Finger Jack. Jacks' head is up in the clouds.

In this fourth pic Three Finger Jack is just off the right edge of the pic. Mt Washington is in the center of the pic. The North Sister and Middle Sister are towards the left side of the pic. The lower slope of Black Butte is on the very left edge of the pic. The green patch close to the middle of the pic is a private ranch on the banks of the Metolius River. I wish I had more pics from down in the Metolius area, but I don't.

The Metolius River, the main attraction of the area, is a cold water river known for trout fishing The upper several miles is restricted to fly fishing only, and I think catch and release only. The river starts as a full fledged small river coming from springs at the base of Black Butte. The springs are in an area less than 100 ft wide and the level of the water varies very little the year around.

There is so much to see here, and the surrounding Central Oregon area, that I could write a book about it (google the Metolius River). Headwaters of the Metolius. Headwaters of Jack Creek. Camp Sherman, where you can often see 12 to 18 inch trout swimming in the water under the bridge across the Metolius River. The many campgrounds along the river. The fish hatchery. The lava beds at the top of McKenzie Pass, open only in the summer time due to snowfall. Smith Rocks State Park. The Crooked River Gorge. The High Desert Museum in Bend. The Lava Tube Cave south of Bend. The Lava Cast Forest south and east of Bend. Century Drive, the road of many lakes, going west and south of Bend.

If Bill has time to make it out here to Oregon this is the area I will have the privilege to guide him through a portion of.

Don

T

Attachments

• IMGP1483.jpg
    IMGP1483.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP1485.jpg
    IMGP1485.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP1486.jpg
    IMGP1486.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP1488.jpg
    IMGP1488.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
bill, if your cooling system is in any shape at all, you will be fine on most grades. I was able to hack 3rd gear on Donner at around 20K lbs combination. sticky t-stats and all.

try a few grades to see if she can do it, and then if it can, do them all! :D

worse case scenario, I have a 1991 660 long block in the shop!

Bill, you might know this already, almost every truck stop in America has showers and clothes washers, the showers are around 10$.... ask about it at the truck fuel desk.....

Good luck to ya........

Bill, when you come back through NC, let me know and we'll get up for a little bit, maybe lunch. I'm just outside of Charlotte, where I-77 and I-85 meet.

Good luck to you sir.

If you're on I-20, I-59, hwy-45, or anywhere near them, holler at me a day in advance that you'll be thru there, and I'll fire up the old 6.5 and come meet up with ya. I know a bunch of small places to eat that have GREAT food....and it's on me ofcourse. I'll PM you with my cell number....and I'll TRY to keep my cell charged at all times while you're on the road.

Happy Snaps

Camper On. Bill's bed mounted 5th wheel ball hitch is still in place so he's created a 2 x 4 platform to allow the camper to slide in over it. That's the reason for the higher profil camper shell.
0607120935a.jpg

Camper with the rolling fuel cell / still faithfully following behind.
0607121541b.jpg

Road test Bill or are you on the road now? I ask as I thought you were'nt leaveing until tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics Paul! Leaving tomoro at 10 am. Will get my neighbors to take a pic of me pulling out for yall! Got some interesting facts for yall. I weighed the rig , truck, camper, trailer n all the gear plus my fat self weighed in a s whopping........ I said huge whopping 14060 lbs!!!!! So now I am worried thats a lot of weight! Truck only weighs 5700 with me in it. Trailer weighs 2020 empty. Veggie oil ought to be 2700 lbs. It pulls it but she is not gonna be a 65 mph truck. Does 55-60 ok but takes a while to get there. Sure hope this is gonna work! I really thought to be in the 10-11000 lb range. Guess I went overboard with gear. Hope I make it over Fancy Gap on rt 77!

Vegtech afraid it wont happen this trip but heading north next summer. Great info Don, I found a app that does it too. gm guy my lil 6.2 is gonna have to tote 14000 lbs! Just gonna ease along n let her take slow but strong, course I will run the fire out of it down hill to start uphill, used to do that with my vw beatle! LOL Sctrailrider appreciate the info, hopefully my shoer in the camper will suffice. This is a peanut butter n jelly trip with free fuel. Cant afford much beyond Walmart parking lot. LOL Jmack we make that happen, I got a sister lives n Belmont.

WOW, 14K, I wouldn't think too much about it, my horse trailer weights 14K and that doesn't count the truck..... The hills will give you some trouble, just don't hurt the tranny ...... You might consider changing the fluid & filter along the way .. Keep safe and keep us up to date how things are going.... I will be interested to see what kind of mileage you get , I would think 10 - 13 maybe in the hills...

961500 That looks doable, I wont have The TTS Oil Can until later but who am I to miss my first meet with a TTS member. Figure out where we can meet, remember from ur place I will be headed to New Iberia La n then on to Pepps place in Slidell La. The Natchez Trace looks interesting, what is that about? Anybody got a layover spot in Alabama? I will be coming from Franklin Nc into Georgia, probably on 59, really dont think I want to go thru Arlanta.

Kimagine might be able to do something on the run for home. Sctrailrider u have a turbo!!!! LOL I think until I use up some veggie oil the lil 6.2 n I will be in Grandpa mode, steady 50 mph top speed! Wow u must have one of those nice living quarter trailers!

Back