• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

orrum

Reaction score
Hello all my friends! I put this in the engine forum because a huge part of the trip is about keeping a journal for yall to read about these great 6.2 and 6.5 engines and I figure more of the folks will see and read it here. This post is about my lil 6.2 na and I going on THE GREAT WESTERN TRIP! I am going to be pulling a small two horse trailer loaded with 300 gallons of wvo veggie oil for fuel and my extra stuff. I will have a self contained slide in camper in the back of the truck. My intention is to camp in the Walmart parking lot most nites. I am going cross country style in that no interstate hiways if reasonablely possible. I would like to visit with any of you here on the forum as I travel. Just invite me and I will swing by if u r close to my travel path. We can have lunch, look at our trucks or just shake hands and get a pic. Of course I am open to camping in anyones driveway that invites me! Hey I am a tightwad, skinflint hillbilly! LOL This trip is financed by aluminum can and scrap metal sales! I have no plans other than to head to Louisiana and see Pepp first and then just head towards whatever else appeals to my sense of adventure. Oh yea I am gonna buy a glow plug relay momentary switch mod thingamajig from Leroy, Burning Oil, but I am too cheap to pay freight so I am gonna drive there n get it! LOL This is gonna be great folks! So sound off if u want me to visit and also tell whats good to go see or experience on my trip. It doesnt have to be in ur area just let me know what u think. My friends say I am crazy to leave on a trip with a experimental truck running on experimental fuel but thats where the EXCITEMENT AND COWBOY CAN DO fun starts! Paul I am definitely going thru Utah so look out! My friends here at home Bob and Chuck say they r gonna come get me if I blow up the truck.... They have Ford powerstrokes, aww thats just NOT GONNA BE COOL guys! LOL I am worried about crossing the Rocky Mountains so anybody know a nice easy way or ways to get thru or around thrm let me know. Mostly I intend to just look where the sun sets at nite and go that way the next day!!!! Ahhh this is going to be great! I intend to leave Orrum Nc. in 7 -10 days so lets start planning some stops.

Bill, you're welcome here anytime you can make it, whenever and however. We got a nice level spot above the house with a clear view of the lake and valley below (where the avatar photo was taken). My phone hasn't changed so give a ring when you get close.

Allright Paul u started the ball rolling and I look forward to the visit! WOW that sounds and looks so good to camp thrre, thanks pardner!

I-40 was an easy way to get over the rockies. After our last trip from FL to OR we would avoid TX at ALL costs... In 07 I did a trip from southern Oregon to Port Hueneme in southern California and swa my Grandma and Aunt. I then cut across the southern half of the US by taking I-10 over to Odenville, AL to see my cousin. I passed Talladega Speedway (cool stop) on the way to Atlanta, GA to visit my sister and her family. My sister and I then went to Tallahasee, FL to see my Great Aunt. Then it was off to St Augustine, FL and checked out the fountain of youth. I dropped my sister off and then headed the middle route home by way of the National Corvette Museum (I had a vette at the time, the trip was in the vette). I blew through the midwest like I was on fire and hit the Bonneville Salt Flats on the way home. I saw the Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic all in the same trip. Some of our favorite places are Lake Couer D'Alene, the islands in WA, Silver Falls Park in OR, Crater Lake, OR, Salsa Brava restaurant in Flagstaff, AZ, the Grand Canyon, Badlands National Park, SD, Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Salt Flats, seeing corn fields in our mirror after leaving the midwest, ALASKA!!!, Navy Pier in Chicago, the stars in the middle of nowhere, anyplace where you can pitch a tent, carry a gun and get away from everyone!

Tim(turbine doc) is holed up in a motel at my exit on I-12...maybe he can join us?
Make as many stops as you'd like heading this way Bill, just as long as you pass through before June 26th or after July 8th...

I dunno but on your way out I would stop at the Congaree National Park for reference to compare to Lousianna and out West. And as a reminder of what is around home.

http://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm

That is a cheap stop. Should be similar to Orrum, NC but its impressive with really old growth. Not the actual record trees of the east but the largest tract of old growth in Southeast and an awesome easy walk in the woods it has a really nice canopy of trees. Although there are some unmarked trees that can compete and they don't tell you where the giant is (there is a pic in the welcome center of a massive cypress tree probably in top 3 trees east of Mississippi). IIRC the Swamp Fox probably rode through some of the woods. But probaby stayed a bit farther South in Sparkleberry/Watree/Santee swamps areas before they flooded it with Santee and Marion lakes. They have a boardwalk that should be easy for you and a welcome center with easy access.

I don't know of any awesome spectacular stuff around here like the grand canyon or Yellow stone but a few little small stops here and there that are neat. Columbia, SC has the State Museum and there is the old canal and powerplant that powered some of the first electric textile mills in the US. The canal park use to be free. Not much left but the canal and a little bit of the equipment left. Riverbanks Zoo is also a nice zoo I want to say it use to be in the top ten zoos (but don't know scale or ranking criteria). Not sure of entrance fee. But you might be tired of animals by now.

If you come through the upstate SC or pass close I might be able to meet for lunch or a snack rest stop etc depending on day of week. If I am not taking my son to activities.

Hubert

Two of my favorite places are Cloudland Canyon State Park in GA (great view of three/four states) and Edisto Island state park in SC.

I have been to many cities on business west of the Mississippi, but sadly have not gotten to explore much to give you advice... Well Vegas and New Orleans, but neither is thrifty! Go to salt lake in the winter so you can go to Powder Mountain skiing! :)

If you are headed past northern VA give me a shout! You are more than welcome to camp/shower/eat or whatever you need.

Sounds like a great trip!!! Keep up posted.

I didn't see this thread before I posted in your TCC lock thread so some of what I'll be posting here will be a repeat.

Central Oregon is a great place to see. It has a drier climate than the west side of Oregon, going from the brushy east slope of the Cascade mountains, down through the tall pine forests, and ending up with the sagebrush and juniper of the high desert. Deschutes River, Metolious River, Metolious River basin, Crooked River, Mt Jefferson, Three Finger Jack mountain, the Three Sisters mountains, Mt Washington, Broken Top mountain, Cascade Hy and all its' lakes,the elk ranch at the town of Sisters, the lava beds on McKenzie Hy, the list could go on and on.

If you do make it out this far I'd love to meet you, and if my funds will allow (also on a very limited income), guide you through the Central Oregon area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Oregon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiam_Pass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metolius_River

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2144/travel.html

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/SBcascadeLakes.asp

Don

WOW such a truly grand response!!!!! Keep it up plz and remember I would like to c things like the Alamo but the worlds largest ball of string etc are also very attractive to me. like Skylark says in his post....maybe to judt look at the stars when I get out in the wide open nowhere might be AWESOME! So keep the invites and info coming my friends and future new friends! Pepp I will definetely be there before u take off and really hope to get together with Tim, Turbine Doc since we both r hillbillys from the same part of Va. Gettin closer to leaving, the only real issue to resolve now is gettin my ac fixed. Its a pain and exasperating but I havent given up yet and if it just gets too expensive I am gonna go without it. Drove all summer here last year in 90-100 plus degrees so what the heck! LOL Cowboy up u know! LOL

Thanks Cash I intend to see a lot of Texas so look out. I need a app for my tablet that will map all u guys so I can bunny hop with some sence of order and direction! Anybody got any info, remember I am a digital retard and sorta intend to stay that way. Maybe a cardboard map with stick pin for yalls location?

Get to Nebraska and see Car Henge.

And Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Sturgis and other little places, in South Dakota. Not too far away.

Wyoming has Devils Tower and lots of over places to see.

Then Little Big Horn Battlefield in Montana, head over to Yellowstone.

Then head south to Paveltoz's place. Utah has some neat things to see.

You may think about doing a little driving on Route 66 too.

My kind of road trip!

Ok 635 tha sounds way good! I also want to see a desert. Without getting stranded and dieing of thirst and exposure! LOL Is there anybody out there that lives in a desert or right beside a desert? Wonder how the lil 6.2 will do huffing and puffing thru the desert? How about bugs in the condenser while traveling? I have heard stories about the bugs completely jamming the air flow. Can u put or get a screen of some kind?

I've seen lots of vehicles with window screen in front of the grill, it's easy to clean. Not going to win any car shows with it though.

Leo my rig is gonna have a well used, faded, sorta gypsy look to it! LOL Burgundy n silver truck with a camper with sick yellow n yellow-orange trim and a slightly rusty white horse trailer and smelling like fried chicken and french fries from thr wvo veggie oil. Duh why do I care about window screen looking bad! I suppose duct tape is a nonapproved way of fastening it. Probably double the corners and sides and use wire ties.

Ok Schiker thats one I will get to. How far r u from Pelion Sc. I have a very good friend their that raises Icelandic horses. They r small and fuzzy but incredible tough and gentle. I think u n ur son would enjoy a introduction to them and if he wants a lil ride.

Probably about 2-1/2 - 3 hrs from Pelion I think depending on side of Pelion and route. Thanks but that might be too far for Brice to ride for a pony ride.

Forgot to mention...

a "MUST DO" in this area is the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans...the expansion is complete and it could very well take you 2 or more days to see it properly...

there is also:
the Audubon Zoo(one of the best IMO)
Aquarium of the Americas
Jackson Square/French Market area

will be in Baton Rouge next Thursday to Sunday to see LSU play(hosting) the NCAA regional tournament GEAUX TIGERS!

Well if you make it to nebaska let me know im right off I80 just west of omaha. There is the Henry Dorly Zoo in omaha, and out this way we have a drive through wild life safari and a really neat Air and Space museum. other than that we got lots of corn fields and some lakes here and there. of course out west there is the sand hills and places like chimny rock and carhenge which was already mentioned. you going to bring alont some of that brandy of yours?

Back