• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

If in the off chance you miss your exit and end up heading North towards New England, you are welcome to stay here with us in Yonkers NY. Park right in front of the house. Three types of public transport to get into NYC (only 25 minutes to Grand Central Terminal) and your very own personal chauffer/tour guide. Got several hundred gallons of WVO settling in 55 gal drums that you are welcome to.

If you don't miss your exit, God speed, happy travels and enjoy meeting the gang!

Hey Orrum, If your rolling north in the next couple days I'm only a few miles off I77 right on the Ohio river near US 50. I have plenty of UVO or fresh biodiesel if ya need either, PM me for contact details.

-K

Well I am thunderstruck at the invites and info folks!!!!!! My goal is to not plan too far ahead in order to stay flexible about "wandering aimlessly" around this great country! However I intend to make as many stops as possible to meet the TTS crowd and let get them to sign The Oil Can. Its gonna be a blast thanks in part to the enthusiasm that all of yall are putting into ur invites and greetings here on the forum. Actually meeting a bunch of "sooty black handed wrench twisting diesel motor nuts" like yall is gonna be a blast! Luv those Canadians that keep chiming in, watch out with those invites if this works out I am gonna get a passport and go see New England and our great sister country Canada next year!

Oops hit the wrong button. So keep the invites coming folks, departure looks like tomorrow morning. Gonna load the camper into the truck today. I had to fab up some extenders so they jacks would clear the fenders on the dually, I aint a mechanic but my cowboy butt better of got this right! Thanks to Pepp for such a great writeup and puting it so that all of yall r "forced to see the annoucement". I have faith in my lil 6.2 na, she is gonna do just fine!!!!! My parents say I am crazy to go on a wild goose chase across country in a experimental vehicle running on experimental fuel! They dont realize what a fantastic truck "these trucks" are, plus they dont understand what a incredible resource the forum is!!!! You guys can talk me thru fixing anything! Hey I made a ramp yesterday and loaded my electric wheelchair into the horse trailer, its supposed to have a 20 mile range if fully charged so it aint like I am gonna be stranded if I break down!!!! LOL Once again thanks to all of you for adding a purpose and direction to The Trip!!!!

Like said earlier if your in Central New York your more than welcome to stop in to my place! But it may be way out of your way for this trip.

Hell Bill, we're all goin' with you. That's part of the fun for us and for the ones that get to the face to face GTGs then the fun doubles! Stay safe and keep us updated. When you have an idea when you will be around the bottom of Lake Michigan we'll find a spot to get there. Bunch of us anyhow.

Hey Mike n Mike! LOL Raining again!!!!! Thats all I can say, cant load n hookup grey water n shore batterys in this. Feel like I am already on the trip stuck in Washington state where it rains every day! Dont get better soon departure gonna be delayed again.....Sigh, BIG SIGH!

Hey Mike n Mike! LOL Raining again!!!!! Thats all I can say, cant load n hookup grey water n shore batterys in this. Feel like I am already on the trip stuck in Washington state where it rains every day! Dont get better soon departure gonna be delayed again.....Sigh, BIG SIGH!

Looks like you'll be ok..... Weatherman says it should stop raining around 10 or 11 and be cloudy the rest of today with a 10% chance of rain. Tomorrow looks pretty good too, high of 81 and only a 20% chance of rain.

Good luck on your trip.

Bill, should you find yourself halfway between Richmond and Washington D.C., why then you're right in my neighborhood and should stop for at least a cup of coffee and a handshake! I'll also offer you 24/7 roadside assistance anywhere within a 150 mile circle of Fredericksburg. PM me for the number to call.

Bill, if you find yourself in Northwest Colorado around Craig give me a hollor. I might be able to round up a few gallons of WVO as well. The passes to get here can be a little slow and take a few gallons of WVO with the ol' 6.2.

Best of luck to you.

Bill, if you do make it thru Oregon and head towards the great North West be sure to stop in the Central Washington area. Of course these little hills we have around here may tax your l'll 6.2 a bit but I am sure you will make it. July and August weather is fantastic up here. A little rain the past few days, just enough to settle the dust.

Also I have plenty of 6.2 parts if you are in need of anything. Well 2 extra complete engines is a better way of putting it!

Already signed the can but come on up and see some country.

Drive 101 on the Oregon coast, you won't believe it. Leave Paul's place and take 80 out of Utah, past Bonneville Salt Flats and across Nevada, then into California to SSF, just don't stop for lunch at Donner Pass, and then take 101 north and really see some country, Avenue of the Giants is something you may not want to miss. But you would also miss Crater Lake in Oregon, unless you feel like wondering!! Washington 101 is real nice too.

Sounds like 635 has been around the Pacific Northwet before (yup, I meant Northwet). The Northwest has so much to see you could spend all summer just in the northern California, Oregon Washington, and Idaho area.

Don

Yep, been around the area for a little while. Started driving log truck in late 67 in the Olympic Pennisula. Quit in late 83 when the loads starting taking longer to load, no more 3 log loads. Went long hauling, for Van Dyke Heavy Hauling, in Seattle, in 83, and saw this country, Canada, and Alaska, for 14 more years. Then in 98 went to work for a large contruction company building the 3rd runway at SeaTac. Nov 02, I got a real big head rattle when a guy, in a 3/4 ton 78 Ford 12 pass van ran a red light and hit my loaded 98 Mack, 14k pounds on the front axle, at the left front tire and knocked the front end of the Mack 5 feet sideways. Ended my driving carrer and just about ended my breathing too, ruptured a blood vessel in my brain! I have driven a for a few years and have a few miles behind me!

Still like driving and remembering the places I had seen and still have more to see as time goes on. Soon my 98 will have a 6.2 with 6.5 heads, in it, and that will be on the road too. My little 81 C10 will get a 6.2 also this year.

Bill If you get through eastern Oregon and need a place to park, or some veg got both, got some lab oil that titrates less than 1 and if not in an old dirty storage could be used to cook with. Stop by will crack an amber bock and lie about our 6.2's ;)
Curt

I'm near the cross of HWY 29 N/S and 460 E/W (Lynchburg VA) about a 40 min off 81 as well. Give me a heads up and I will give you direction details. But granted that is a bit off the path for a western trip. :) Maybe on the back swing?

1st post here!!! Noob to the forum, but a long time lurker and old gear-head wrench wrangler.......

Best of luck to you, Bill!!! Godspeed to you on a safe and non-eventful (bad stuff happening...) journey. I admire you for doing this trip and am very interested in your results. I have an 86 GMC 6.2 that I'm getting ready to start using alternative fuels for it as like everybody else, I'm tired of getting bent over at the pump. It's getting way to expensive with my two diesels in my fleet (86 GMC 6.2 and 02 Chevy 6.6 Duramax), not to mention my mud truck and the wife's Suburban!!!.

Doubt you'll be coming by this way but if by chance you are, I've got a nice big lot up on a hilltop, here in Milton, W.V. right off I-64 on Route 60 to park in. Drop me a line if you want a place to stay, nice hot shower, semi-comfortable couch and a good meal for your belly!!!

Look forward to reading / seeing your adventure unfold!

Sean

If you get to Montana then Washington State isn't too far away, you can see the DRY Falls, they were larger than Niagra Falls, then over to see Gand Coulie Dam. Canada is just a few hours North...

If you are going through Northern Utah there is a group of us 6.5 guys here. My truck is the power project and 4 others are getting setup to run on waste motor oil. one is on it now and hopefully soon another. PM me if you can stop by.

Ok here goes.....Chief u were right it cleared off bout 11 am n I got right to it. Went to put my homemade extenders on the camper so the jacks would clear the dual wheels n fenders and I done good but the guy that was at the machine shop drilled them wrong, should a been half inch holes 3.5 in apart. The were too small for my bolts n he did not get any of them 3.5 in apsrt. Sigh.... I was afraid to drill them but had to go to town n get smaller bolts n reame a couple out. Set me back time wise but I got her mounted on the truck n the hold downs r tight n the shore batteries hooked n the grey water is hooked up. However I got some odds n ends to handle so once again I will be now leaveing Fri morn, for sure, no doubt guaranteed!!!!! LOL Its gonna happen. The machine shop got me so the first member with a drill press that could punch my holes out right would earn my eternal thanks, hey I will sing ur weddin! LOL

Back