• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Thanks for the invite GM guy! Gotta visit u for sure, we communicate when I get closer n meet at one or the other places. My camper weighs roughly 1000 lbs n
The horse trailer about 1000, plus lets throw in a estimated 1000 n veggie oil. I also estimate another 500-600 n gear plus my 230 lb. So lets round it off to 4000 lbs total. I am gonna weigh it all when I get the camper loaded. Right now waiting to get the evaporator repaired in the ac system. The old girl is stranded and dismantled at the ac shop till he reopens Tues. Dont really care about the ac to stay cool but dont want all that wind beating me to death plus cant hear the radio.

No true plans 3500 GMC but gonna visit every TTS member that invites me if I can work it into the trip! Not sure about Ohio tho. Probably do that next summer on my Great Northern Trip where I go c all u yankees n New England. Man I gotta go c Acesneights! Grouchy old sooty handed diesel luvin yankee that he is! Wonder why hd hasn rf said hello since I got back on the forum?

No true plans 3500 GMC but gonna visit every TTS member that invites me if I can work it into the trip! Not sure about Ohio tho. Probably do that next summer on my Great Northern Trip where I go c all u yankees n New England. Man I gotta go c Acesneights! Grouchy old sooty handed diesel luvin yankee that he is! Wonder why hd hasn rf said hello since I got back on the forum?
Ace hasn't been on here since last fall.

ok first official weights on the rig for the trip. Truck with tank full of fuel and no camper weighs 5640 lbs. Horse trailer really surprised me! Thought it would weigh a lot less than my 16 ft flat trailer which weighs 1600 lbs so was guessing 1000 lbs. Way wrong it weighs 2020 lbs! Gonna put 350 gallons or so of veggie oil plus miscellaneous gear, lets say 3000 or so lbs there. Ugh total weight is climbing fast! Starting to look like 12-13000 lbs! Of course the weight will decrease fast as I use up tbe veggie oil.

U got it Marty! Now I really wonder what my old gooseneck combo weighs, its got a twenty foot box plus the goose is another seven foot and I added a homemade self contained living quarters in the front half of the box! Hope I can handle that weight wiyt the lil 6.2! My old 85 four door dually had a 454 with a holley four barrel n a three speed auto tranny. She could pull the hinges off the door to he!! Guess we gonna find out real soon what a diesel can do.

That surprised me too. It makes the tags a lot cheaper tho since I can tag it for 10000 minimum with the farm tags. How much do ur 3500s weigh? Wonder what my hidden n the closet 1986 F350 6.9 diesel weighs? Shush nobody should know I got the truck. Its a future wvo conversion to sell to some of my yuppy friends.

Mine used to weigh about 7250 lbs, now it weighs 8560 lbs with the bale deck on it. It's 4x4 though.

Still a big difference. Yea I grew up on the farm with 100 mama cows n calces etc n that was before round bales! Talk about work all those small square bales. Pick it up in the field, stack it on the wagon, throw it off the wagon stack it up in 1000 bale ricks n tarp it and then gotta move it all winter n feed it! Just me n two uncles for labor. Then round balers got popular but they said too much waste. Strangely as soon as I left for college they bought one ! LOL

Time for a update on The Trip. AC is fixed and nice and cold! I am tickled pink. Problem is that the truck was in the ac shop from Fri to today and that messed up the departure date. Was planning ro be loaded and head out Sat mornin but now am shooting for either Tues or Wed mornin. First leg is 300 or so miles to the parents in Saltville Va, have to go over Fancy Gap on Interstate 77. According to Turbine Doc and a couple others here on the forum that grade should tell me how the 6.2 na will handle the trip.

Felt like my fuel tank sock was stopped up partially ever since I got the truck so decided to use the neighbors BIG air compressor to blow back from the filter n Walbro lift pump to clean it some. I have a small portable air compressor that I tried a couple times before and was not satisfied with my results. Stuck the end of the air blowgun into the fuel line and shot the air to it! Very satisfying, I had the gas cap off and heard all kinds of explosive bubbling and commotion! Pleased me it did so I did it again, never heard all that ruckus when I used my lil rig! LOL Put the hose back on the filter n tightened it down and crawled out from under the truck, what a surprise when I got out!!!!! Veggie oil fuel absolutely soaking my artificial leg n sock n boot! LOL Couldnt feel my leg getting soaked as the air blew the fuel out of the tank. I am gonna let yall share the blame on this one, I read a lot of threads about doing this and the only caution was to be sure to take the gas cap off, yall didna say dont lay under the gas fill area!!!! Good thing is I dont think I blew the blockage out of the fuel screen, I think I blew the pesky lil rascal OFF! Never had WOT pressure this good, got 5 Lb at WOT and 12 lb at idle and 7 lb at 55 mph.

Cant wait to try that Fancy Gap with the line all cleared out and screen either very clear or blown off. Will try to go to Mcdonalds to use their free WIFI to laod some pics of 3g he camper n trailer this weekend. Apparently my tablet cant load pics to the site on 3g service.

Leo my rig is gonna have a well used, faded, sorta gypsy look to it! LOL Burgundy n silver truck with a camper with sick yellow n yellow-orange trim and a slightly rusty white horse trailer and smelling like fried chicken and french fries from thr wvo veggie oil. Duh why do I care about window screen looking bad! I suppose duct tape is a nonapproved way of fastening it. Probably double the corners and sides and use wire ties.

We have screens rigged to the backside of the grills on our farm trucks.

Good luck on the trip!

Hey Tanner I gotta go thru Oklahoma, Quarter Horse Capital of the world! Gonna come visit u n geg ur signature on the TTS oil can pardner.

Yes bad luck but hey the screen is clear or blown off I hope. Took my lil Chinese Pug to a friends house to keep her till I come back. Was 80 miles there n about the same back and I had great fuel pressurd running at 70 mph on interstate 95 there n back so I am good to go.

I wrote about the bath I took doing this air sock cleaning somewhere.

They don't come off that easy. You will likely have to drop the tank sometime to remove it. Me and a friend are getting good at tank dropping. Don't forget the Walbro also has a screen in it that can replace the tank sock and also plug. I recommend the special order 'course' screen for it.

I saw that screen online War wagon but I have a 30 micron wix prefilter. Another friend told me I probably couldnt blow it off. I intend to cut a manhole in the truck bed n get to it that way if it continues to be a problem. Of course I could come visit u n we could take it off since u have " tank dropping experience".

Back