• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

So I decided it was time to give my mill/drill a little attention. Friend of mine came over and we shimmed the column so it was square with the table, I didn't realize it was as far out as it was. Took a couple of hours to get it dialed in and in the process we discovered that the table isn't real flat. Most of it isn't terrible but there is a corner that's high. Thinking I might buy a stone and set it t so I can put it in a collet and do a little bit of surfacing just to get the worst out.
I've had a DRO for awhile now so I decided now was as good a time as any to install it. It wasn't a quick install.IMG_20220210_173347_235.jpg
Should help quite a bit for my girdle project I'm starting.

So with all this wet snowy icy weather we've been having I decided it was time to build the wheel spacers for my backhoe. So I dug out my bandsaw and put a new blade on it. Dug out of the snow the chunks of steel I had been saving for it and started cutting them into rough circles. Then as luck would have it a piece shifted while I was cutting it and broke one of the guide arms. So I spent a day fixing that and now I'm turning the first one down to size.
Why am I making these? Cat makes a kit just for my backhoe. $1200 at 10 year ago prices.IMG_20220303_145449_640.jpgIMG_20220303_145458_221.jpgIMG_20220303_145511_146.jpgIMG_20220303_145514_983.jpgIMG_20220303_145519_557.jpg

Use a torch. Make a couple pieces of flat, like 3/8ths wide and long enough to span the two or three tubed between the torch head and the handle. On one piece weld on a length of round stock, maybe 1/4” diameter. Make it so it functions kind of like a compass pencil thing.
Drill two holes in the little flats and weld nuts to one side and then a bolt through the other side to clamp the flats to the torch.
Crap, I dont quite knows how to splain it.
Any way then make a center lunch mark in the middle of the flat, fire up the torch, the piece of 1/4” round has a point ground to it, poke the point into tje center punch hole then walk the torch head around in the circle and that will cut You a nice round piece of steel.
Then the center punch hole can be drilled to whatever size is needed.
Yeah, like a compass pencil except for with a torch. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

Yeah it's 2" thick and a finish diameter of 10". If it was any bigger in diameter I'd have trouble turning it in my lathe. The saddle won't go underneath it so I have to hang the cutting bit out further than I'd like. I switched it from a 3 phase motor to single phase of the same size and this is the first time I wish I had more power.

Back