• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

So an update on the snowblower, seems to be working fine so far. I would have already gone through at least one set of belts. Was hoping to get a video today as we were supposed to get upto 6" but we only got one.

So I've been working on the head for my Jetta engine and I put in new guides and have the valve job pretty close. I need to grind the stem tips down some so I bought this vintage tool, it wasn't until I got it in my hands that I realized it was actually a valve face cutter. Certainly didn't indicate that in the description and pictures were so-so. But it did look like it would make a good valve holding fixture so I mounted it onto a piece of 1/2" plate so I could hold it in my lathe. Now I just need to get a stone I can mount in my lathe chuck.
IMG_20201127_145912.jpg

So I ran into a bit of a snag with my valve tip grinder. My lathe won't turn fast enough to get a good finish on the tip. Doesn't need to be polished but needs to be really smooth. I wish shipping wasn't so much there's several nice machines on EBAY but most won't even ship them never mind the freight cost. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

Dremel . Chuck it in the lathe , stick the cord out the back and run it as fast as you can . Combined speed of the lathe and the Dremel has to be a billizion RPMs . You are welcome !:happy: But seriously isn't there a small grinding stone on the other end of the grinder ? Don't remember if it was Sioux or BD grinder that I used but after facing the valve you would turn it around for the tip .

Nice! That's a good price, especially with all the tooling it has included. I have a Sioux 545, but I need to buy a bunch of the tooling to go with it so I haven't used it yet.

Yeah that would be good. I'm a total noob at it, so digging into it would be a good kickstarter for me.

It had been so long since I had done anything with one it was almost like starting over. One of the things my old memory finally kicked out was that there's a spring that goes under the cutting stone and over the pilot that keeps the stone from touching the seat until you push down. Comes in different lengths they're called bounce springs. Without having a name it took my quite a bit of searching the web to find them.

So this was a fun milling machine project. Whoever had used the holder in the past was pretty ham fisted , hammer marks and dents all over it. So I faced off the bottom first then turned it over and faced the top then I milled the slot. One thing I didn't get a picture of was I milled the big cast washer so it would fit over the holder base. Didn't take much mainly just cleaned it up.

IMG_20201202_155720.jpgIMG_20201202_132920.jpgIMG_20201202_125544.jpg

So the snow slid off just one side of the roof on my boiler shed, only roof that shed any snow, and of course it was the one in front of my shop. So I was using the 4wheeler to blow snow with and I sucked something up and just like it should it broke the shear pin I installed in place of the keyway. So that was a success, then shortly later the auger quit turning, I thought it was the shear pin but nope the chain that drives just the auger broke. At first I thought the master had come apart but it was missing too many links. So as far as I can tell it just failed, maybe it was getting worn.

So I believe I found out why the chain broke. The chain tensioner spring broke probably letting the chain climb on the sprocket and over tensioning it.

IMG_20201204_104611.jpg

Also the piece that the chain rides on was installed upside down. So someone has obviously been in it before. This was my first time messing with it. You did have to take the master link out anytime you changed the belts before. So hopefully this cures most of the issues. Be nice to actually use it more than I work on it.

Back