• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

Making some progress. Going to Anchorage tomorrow and am picking up new packings for the hydraulic cylinders along with some misc hardware.IMG_20161228_164754.jpg IMG_20161228_164805.jpg IMG_20161228_164825.jpg IMG_20161228_164833.jpg IMG_20161228_164851.jpg

As you can see in the pics I had to replace the piece that sits on the floor, the chains had worn through it almost the full length. Because it had wore thru the channel no longer supported the diamond tread piece and it had flattened. Used that cross peen hammer in the pic and put it in the crease and struck it with another 3 lber. Took about 10 minutes to put the creases back where they were supposed to be angle wise. Also made an adapter out of a bolt to grease some of the bearings, they had an internal groove to allow it to be greased from inside.

So I got some more stuff done over the holidays. Cleaned up and painted the main carrier or whatever it is called also cleaned up and painted the roller frame on top of the cylinders and the roller frame that goes on top. Spent one complete day dealing with bearings. Put 2 new small bearings on each of the carrier's and greased the rest of them. The big bearingsiI actually drilled a tiny hole in the shield and pumped more grease into them (if they were high speed bearings I wouldn't dare to it). But these are extremely slow moving. The rest of the parts I took to town to get sand blasted, I'm getting mighty tired of wire wheeling. So when I get them back and painted it will be assembly time.IMG_20170102_144449.jpg IMG_20170102_144501.jpg IMG_20170102_144512.jpg IMG_20170102_144532.jpg IMG_20170102_144548.jpg

You know about cleaning parts with electrolysis?
Sure is nice set up and walk away till morning, comeback to clean.

Soo, I forgot a out that whole freezing water thing. Not really a great combo.

Its just tap water and sodium carbonate (Arm and hammer wahing soda and rebar is what I use). And the hotter the water the better it works. You could do a small heater in the water so it bearly warms it to 100* or so. 200* works faster, but not needed. As long as its not ice It will work, just slower.
Lots of ways to do it.

I helped a guy dig a pit and line plastic to do an 33 plymouth body once. Used a 400d welder to power it.
Went from junky to amazing in 24 hours.

A couple videos on how to:

Looks great for rust. I don't have much rust to deal with , the original paint didn't adhere real good and it looked like someone tried to spruce it up at sometime by spraying it with grey primer without much prep. The gray was mostly falling off in big chunks but stuck pretty good in other places.

Started assembling today ,used my cherry picker in the back of my truck to put the center carrier in. Got looking thru my chain stuff and it looks like I'm short a master link.IMG_20170107_175037.jpg

That's a brute of a lift. Wide. It'll dead lift prob another couple ton now that it's pissed off from being painted that ugly color.

as long as it will lift my truck is all I really care about. spent all day cleaning up one of the chains. was worse than I thought about 5' of it was rusty and stiff

Back