• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

So I'm trying to decide whether to put my press on casters. Anyone have an opinion? If you do I'd like your reasoning.IMG_20160316_163232.jpg

Definitely on wheels, but maybe not casters. I think 2 wheels on a bracket off to the side is better (with a light weight press) Then you just tip it and move it on the wheels. When in use it is stable and you don't have to fight the casters moving it around when your working on a piece.

I plan on putting mine on castors, one fixed set and the other rotating. You can get them with brakes. This way I can push it against a wall when not in use.

I' think I'd have to build a new base for it to put it on casters as the angle that sits on the floor is pretty thin. I don't think it's even 1/8". The other thing that I'm concerned with is it keeping me from getting close enough to it.

I guess I could get some square or rectangle tubing and just replace the angle and then put the casters directly on the tubing

Unlike the bolt bin, I like casters on the press idea. Replace the 2 angle iron feet with some 3" channel iron or 2x3 rec tube. Wheels at the corners. You'll be able to work In-between the legs just like now.

My bolt bin dislike is expecting the boys having to re sort them if it tips for getting moved and hitting something- think skateboard on a pebble crash.

I am all for things on wheels so occasionally when you need to sweep up stuff under it. And sometimes you have to move stuff for any number of reasons.

But I like machines stationary when in use. It helps rigidity and stability slightly with the foot friction. Also machines like to be level and plumb. The small stuff is not as critical but I have seen milling machines shake, jiggle, and vibrate from a bad heavy cut. Climb milling is the worst.

I like the idea of the casters with built in leveling and wheel functions but bet they are more expensive. Or retractable wheels of some type.

I like these but there are other ways to do it.

http://www.stronghandtools.com/buildpro/accessories/casters.php

Back