• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Plow Truck

So now onto another issue I'm trying to fix.IMG_20181214_085906.jpg

Where my finger is pointing there's not enough thickness and it allows the framework to move back and forth up by the lights an inch or so. Anyone know what's supposed to be here? Thinking of welding on a spacer to it but it would be nice to know how it's supposed to be.

So I talked to the local Fisher dealer he seemed to think it was stock that way. Said there's supposed to be some slop to help rock it into position, he did think my movement up by the lights is excessive. Thought I would be okay welding something in there to reduce the slop

I’m betting that window tint is 30% or 35%. Really looks like it in the second two pictures. There is not much of a difference in the two percentages.

AK Diesel Driver,

Is this the law your trying to comply with on the window tinting? Straight from the Alaska Admin code.

That kind of sucks in a way, in my state the back glass of a pick up can blacked out with murals or tint, no tinting restrictions on it.

13 AAC 04.223. Tinted vehicle windows (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle on a highway, public road, street, or parking lot with mirrored tinting material on any window of the vehicle. Except as provided in this section, a person may not drive a motor vehicle on a highway, public road, street or parking lot with aftermarket tinting material or aftermarket striping material on any window of the vehicle.
(b) Aftermarket tinting of vehicle windows is allowed as follows:
(1) the front windshield may have a strip of tinting material applied to the top edge, known in the industry as an "eyebrow," which does not extend downward more than five inches from the top of the glass;
(2) the driver and front passenger side windows may have tinting material that permits at least 70 percent light transmittance;
(3) the rear door windows, quarter glasses, and back glasses may have tinting material that permits at least 40 percent light transmittance;
(4) limousines and passenger buses used to transport persons for hire, motor homes, and vehicles identified by the vehicle manufacturer as multipurpose may have tinting material that complies with Standard No. 205, Glazing Materials, in 49 C.F.R. 571.205 (1992).
(c) The windows of a vehicle may have tinting material that permits less light transmittance than that specified in (b) of this section if
(1) a driver or a passenger who frequently travels in the vehicle is required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun;
(2) the medical reasons are certified annually by a physician licensed to practice in this state; and
(3) the certification is carried in the vehicle.
(d) Tinting materials must be green, gray, bronze, or neutral smoke in color, or a sun reflective auto film.
(e) Light transmittance must be measured by using a light transmittance measuring device with an allowance for manufacturing variances of plus or minus three percent. The accuracy of the device must be certified by the manufacturer.
(f) In this section, "light transmittance" means the ratio, expressed as a percentage, of the amount of total light that is allowed to pass through a window, including glazing, to the amount of total light falling on the window.
(g) All vehicles must comply with this section by July 1, 1994.
(h) A tinted rear window on a motor vehicle is exempt from regulations relating to the tinting or luminous transmittance materials used in motor vehicle windows, if the vehicle's owner has proof that the rear window tinting was installed before July 1, 1994, and the vehicle is equipped with driver-side and passenger-side rearview mirrors.

AK Diesel Driver,

Is this the law your trying to comply with on the window tinting? Straight from the Alaska Admin code.

That kind of sucks in a way, in my state the back glass of a pick up can blacked out with murals or tint, no tinting restrictions on it.

13 AAC 04.223. Tinted vehicle windows (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle on a highway, public road, street, or parking lot with mirrored tinting material on any window of the vehicle. Except as provided in this section, a person may not drive a motor vehicle on a highway, public road, street or parking lot with aftermarket tinting material or aftermarket striping material on any window of the vehicle.
(b) Aftermarket tinting of vehicle windows is allowed as follows:
(1) the front windshield may have a strip of tinting material applied to the top edge, known in the industry as an "eyebrow," which does not extend downward more than five inches from the top of the glass;
(2) the driver and front passenger side windows may have tinting material that permits at least 70 percent light transmittance;
(3) the rear door windows, quarter glasses, and back glasses may have tinting material that permits at least 40 percent light transmittance;
(4) limousines and passenger buses used to transport persons for hire, motor homes, and vehicles identified by the vehicle manufacturer as multipurpose may have tinting material that complies with Standard No. 205, Glazing Materials, in 49 C.F.R. 571.205 (1992).
(c) The windows of a vehicle may have tinting material that permits less light transmittance than that specified in (b) of this section if
(1) a driver or a passenger who frequently travels in the vehicle is required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun;
(2) the medical reasons are certified annually by a physician licensed to practice in this state; and
(3) the certification is carried in the vehicle.
(d) Tinting materials must be green, gray, bronze, or neutral smoke in color, or a sun reflective auto film.
(e) Light transmittance must be measured by using a light transmittance measuring device with an allowance for manufacturing variances of plus or minus three percent. The accuracy of the device must be certified by the manufacturer.
(f) In this section, "light transmittance" means the ratio, expressed as a percentage, of the amount of total light that is allowed to pass through a window, including glazing, to the amount of total light falling on the window.
(g) All vehicles must comply with this section by July 1, 1994.
(h) A tinted rear window on a motor vehicle is exempt from regulations relating to the tinting or luminous transmittance materials used in motor vehicle windows, if the vehicle's owner has proof that the rear window tinting was installed before July 1, 1994, and the vehicle is equipped with driver-side and passenger-side rearview mirrors.

not trying to comply with any law just trying to get close to the rest of the glass so it all looks about the same. The piece I put in was clear the rest of it has tint as part of the glass

Bigr there's not much about what I did to that glass that is legal LOL, truck is unlicensed so it never sees the hiway

I understand now, the truck will be an off road use type truck, have at it, go as dark as you want....:smuggrin:

Side mirrors do not always do the job when backing, I understand you probably would still want to see what's behind you when backing up maybe....:)

Autoparts stores usually have samples. Buy lighter than you think, as you can add one layer on top of another to get it darker. Many of my rides here back in the day used to have double layer limo tint. Basically See through spray paint- haha

For amazing heat rejection, the “titanium” tint wins hands down. You can do clear and it will stop 75% of the heat. Not sure thats what I would use in AK. Haha

I have bought it online and at advance auto parts and to be honest the parts store tint has done better for me. Granted, I didn’t buy the most expensive tint on the internet either though. I would check at the local parts houses. Advance Auto parts if there’s one up there might have it. Its been at least a year since I’ve bought any tint but I think the name is Alpena or something close to that. It’s like $30 or so. Gilla tint is cheaper but I’ve had good results with it to. It’s around $20 or so if I remember right.

I understand now, the truck will be an off road use type truck, have at it, go as dark as you want....:smuggrin:

Side mirrors do not always do the job when backing, I understand you probably would still want to see what's behind you when backing up maybe....:)

@BIGR Makin your Statey itch.... ?? :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Finally got my mirrors wired up. I was having a terrible time figuring it out until I discovered that both mirror switches I had were bad. First one pretty much didn't work at all. Other one has a position that didn't work. So once I discovered that it became easier. Wanted to get that done so I could paint the floor over the rusty metal primer I put on .IMG_20181221_191707.jpgIMG_20181221_191732.jpg

Also setup a temporary paint booth and got the big chunk of the headache rack painted
When I was with the state, they made headache racks that just had a real short piece to bolt them to the front of the box, a very short length down the top edge. That was very unkind to the box, the motion of the rack busted the box and made quite a mess.
I was involved in fixing them, used a piece of 2" X 3" or maybe it was 2X2-1/2, I dont quite remember. Run that angle the full length of the box and modified the headache rack to fit atop of the angle steel. We put the wide side of the angle on the top of the box.
Never had any more problems with headache racks a bustin boxes after that. LOL
We also welded single chain links to the inside if the angles to be able to hook to for strapping stuff down and securing loads.

Back