• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Plow Truck

Reasonable question. When the pressures are low in a THM trans, reverse is usually the first to suffer since it needs the highest line pressure.

It should be readily apparent if the junk is plugging up your screens. A good solvent clean will help. Even if these check out, the fluid (even if it's only about half) and filter change will help. Maybe the main pan filter has some gunk in it as well. Preventative maintenance kinda. A few bolts to drop the pan.

Well the tranny acted fine the rest of last winter, sat all summer and now it's really slow going into 1st, reverse is fine. Also 3rd gear is missing now.

Time to give the truck some love. Tranny is still hanging in there. Putting all new battery cables on bigger than stock. Moved the passenger side ground cable to a bolt on the front of the head. Also moved the drivers side ground cable off the alternator bracket bolt and to an unused intake bolt.IMG_20181204_190623.jpgIMG_20181204_190702.jpg

That’s how my trans started going, very slow into 1st and intermittent shift issues. Threw some additive for a Hail Mary and plowed resi drives and was a DD for 3 more years before I ripped it out for refurb. Still was operating fine the day I removed it.

So I'm my list of fixes was to replace the glass in the power sliding rear window. Made a pattern out of a piece of 1/8 plywood, same thickness as the glass, reused the old channel strip. I used a little silicone as well. Biggest challenge was cleaning off the old caulk, must have been a whole tubes worth on there. Had to convince the glass shop that it wasn't going into a vehicle cause safety glass would have cost more than a new power slider. Like $600. Need to get some window tinting film now so it will match the rest of it. I think it'll help hold it together a little if it does get broke. Any of you tinting guys can chime in with what % of tint I might need.IMG_20181212_113744.jpgIMG_20181212_113804.jpgIMG_20181212_113814.jpg

Also taking off the toolbox that was on it when I got it. Picked up a headache rack for it a couple of years ago welded a couple of brackets on it for a light bar. Getting sandblasted now so I can paint it.IMG_20181212_115254.jpg

Finished up mounting the lights still need to do the wiringIMG_20181212_151043.jpg
Made a spring setup for my plow markersIMG_20181212_151035.jpg
Bought the pex markers off eBay but this plow is heavy enough it doesn't ride up as easy as others so when I'm pushing snow it bent the markers back, one broke the pex the other loosened the clamps and it fell off.

Check with your state laws as far as tinting, most states let you have the back windows blacked out with no specific percentage, then the side windows and windshield have to meet a certain percentage of course.

the old piece is plexiglass that someone had rattlecanned a mist on trying to simulate the tint. pretty poor repair

would it help if I took a picture from the inside out?

Yeah it might. And one from outside in without as much glare if that’s possible.

The spray painted plexiglass is close to 30% or 35% by the way the tube of caulk looks behind it.

It’s not to bad of a job tinting windows. During the summer time I’ll use a mix of baby oil and water for the tint to stick to the window but if it’s colder outside like in the 50 or 60s I’ll just use windex for the tint. You can work with baby oil a little better but takes about a week to fully dry. The windex only takes a few days.

So the first 2 pics are with all the lights on the second 2 are with the lights out at that end of the shop. If anything the pics make the tint look darker but not alotIMG_20181214_083640.jpgIMG_20181214_083707.jpgIMG_20181214_083813.jpgIMG_20181214_083752.jpg

Also ordered a vinyl floor for it from rock auto. Discovered that under the carpet on the drivers side was getting pretty rusty from the carpet being damp all the time. IMG_20181214_084702.jpg

Wire wheeled the rust off in then a heavy coat of Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer

Putting on tow mirrors too. Power and heated. Got some control switches from a suburban a few years ago from Leroy, but discovered that the window switch plugs are different from the trucks. So I'm getting a complete drivers side door harness with the power mirrors and the across the dash wiring and the pigtail for the passenger side window switch along with a rear defog switch from Barry. Which I have to say was a good price.IMG_20181214_085043.jpg

Back