• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Plow Truck

So I'm finally getting around to putting together my starter. I got new brushes but didn't use them the old ones hardly had any wear. So I repacked the bearings and put the new selenoid on it and cleaned it up of course. Here are some pics of the old selenoid disassembled and it wasn't staked just soldered. The disc inside was staked tho. Be hard to clean up that disc without being able to remove it. I've seen worse but it def had some wear. So if this doesn't fix it then I'll move on to ign switch/wiring.christmas program 035.jpgchristmas program 034.jpgchristmas program 036.jpgchristmas program 037.jpgchristmas program 033.jpg

So as I was putting the starter back in and checking everything over I noticed a couple of things. 1 the heat shield was not attached at the rear so I found a nut and got it back on. 2 and here is where the plot thickens, someone had put a ring terminal on the ign switch wire and as I was fooling around with it it moved!! So I cut off the old one and crimped a new one on real solidly.We shall see.

X2!!! I hate my setup, Pump is a boitch to manipulate taking it on and off there, plus its in the way of everything. And 99.8 % of the times doesnt need to be running...
all the cattle guys around here that have bale decks on their trucks have a factory electr clutched munchie pump.

AK,nice fix on that pump bracket and mount.

BTW,all these GM start solenoids ar soldered these days,they don't want people to get a second life out of them(to cheap a fix)

So an update.Started the truck and was backing it out to put the plow on it and 1/2 way out it died just like I turned off the key. So Icrankonit to see if it will fire back up. Nothing nda zilch. SoI crank it again and then I get a thick white cloud of electrical smoke emanating from what appears to be the starter area. ARRRRRRGH Took me about an hour to get it back inside because there is a 4" ledge right outside the door which I usually keep some boards for a ramp but I think my kids borrowed them. Ruined my cheapie comealong too. All this in -10 temps sheesh

You must be a very efficient carpenter if you don't have any scrap lumber kicking around.:hihi:

I just got back from plowing. It turns out it was a pmd issue. After it warmed back up in the shed I looked around pretty good for fried wires and such, couldn't find a thing. So I decided to try and start it and it fired right up. Idled along for about 45 secs and died so I put my new spare pmd on and it fired right up. Don't know what the smoke was all about everything seems to work and the starter works like a new one. Now the issue I have is the drivers side rear brake is dragging fairly hard so I'll have to pull it apart again.

So I got my truck started (-25*) I might have to replace the ign switch. It still took several tries to get it to crank. It just doesn't act like the switch tho. Acts like the selenoid still I could hear it trying to activate so I would think that would eliminate the switch but maybe it's putting out low voltage? So I pulled it into my shed and pulled the offending drum off. It slid right off. I backed off the star wheel which moved easily. I can't find anything wrong with it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Did you get a bunch of snow up in that wheel? That could have temporarily pushed the shoes apart.

Did you get a bunch of snow up in that wheel? That could have temporarily pushed the shoes apart.

If I did it would have melted out pretty fast it got pretty hot. Never had anything like that happen before. Kinda acts like they're over adjusting.

Well you are doing alot of backing up and braking which will aggravate an adjuster problem. I gotta think on that part a bit...

On edit: If it was me, I'd pull both rear drums and see if maybe the left one was assembled differently or it had a broken adjuster return spring ( the little 1/2" dia coil spring).

Last edited:
backing up and braking is basically how you adjust the rear drums tighter for the emergency brake, like when the truck can overcome the parking brake at idle. Back up and come to complete stop a few times and it would tighten it right up. So I agree that all that could have overtightened one that might not be configured right.

My rear pass side locks up before all others. Scared the crap outta me. So i eneded up replacing everything last summer, adjusters, shoes, wheel cylinders, spring kit even the drums! About a 500 dollar job later. On dry roads its ok, but as soon as it gets snowy or wet it starts locking up. I even have them adjusted the same. Now its locking up again, but as soon as i let off the brake its free. I guess im going to have to take it all apart again...

So I'm pretty sure I got my brakes fixed. I went out this morning and looked at it again and it fairly jumped out at me. I had the leading and trailing shoes reversed. I guess my old timers is catching up to me. Checked the other side to make sure I had done it right and it was fine. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy

So I'm pretty sure I got my brakes fixed. I went out this morning and looked at it again and it fairly jumped out at me. I had the leading and trailing shoes reversed. I guess my old timers is catching up to me. Checked the other side to make sure I had done it right and it was fine. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy
Damn... I was gonna say something about that but figured I'd insult you so I kept it under my hat. It's the easy things that you just do automatically that come back to bite ya'!
Glad it was something simple to fix.

Back