• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Plow Truck

Well I'll find out soon enough my dad just ordered me one for about $60 and it is made in Brazil and reccommended by the wholesaler. So I will desolder mine and see what it looks like on the inside.

Make sure your starter relay underhood fuse box is making contact. I had to put a slight bend on my prongs as I was having a turn the key, no click or crank intermittent. After wasting tons of time with the starter, turned out it was the underhood relay not making full contact. Easy fix standing up, of course after having the starter in my hands re-doing every connection bulletproof.

After a slight bend to make more friction on the prongs of the relay, I havn't had a single issue since.

Very nice setup with the clutched pump. I have a MM1 unit from '94. So i also have the belt driven pump. But my pump is physically on the resevior. And its held on to the engine on the alternator side with some wierd bracketry. My plow is starting to get slow. (Up and side to side while the truck is idleing) I hate the way the pump spins all the time with the engine running. Its introduces so much wear. Plus i cant check my power steering fluid without dropping it down! I really would like to find another resevior, and an external pump and clutch it like you did. I am actually looking to eliminate all my A/C stuff, so the space will have to be filled with a bypass kit. But it would be nice to put the plow pump there. Very nice work!

mine is a stock Fisher setup. I thought the setup you have is called speedcast and is cable operated no? On mine the pump only spins when I move the blade. Extra clutch wear but cheaper to replace than the pump.

mine is a stock Fisher setup. I thought the setup you have is called speedcast and is cable operated no? On mine the pump only spins when I move the blade. Extra clutch wear but cheaper to replace than the pump.

The speedcast came out before the MM. The speedcast is a little more entailed everytime you put it on and remove it. I Have a MM just like you, but there are a few different pump configurations for different style trucks. I wish i could get my hands on a pump like the one you have there... So you wired it up to engauge when you moved the pump correct? You also have a different style joystick than i, i do have the cable operated stick, so i will have a problem engauging the clutch on movement. I would rather make a switch i turn on and off in the truck for a few minutes at a time, that will make for less clutch engauging/disengauging. (sorry i cant spell that word lol.)

So it sounds like the biggest diff between the speedcast and the MM is the actual plow mounting. Not the hyd systems. Should be pretty easy to wire up a toggle to your clutch to turn it off when your not using it. My pump is how Fisher intended it to be wired, it confused me for awhile as I expected the switch on the side of the control to activate the clutch but it doesn't. I'm still not sure if I'm going to leave it that way.

Yeah, im actually having issues with my setup right now. Well i think its more my alternator. I have a '94 gasser alt. on my truck as a quik fix. My orig. died. I really dont want to put another 105 amper on there, seems kinda weak for what i run. Trying to get mine rebuilt but its taking a while, my truck is starting to have gauge issues and flickering, it drops to 11-12v while idle and all access. runing. Not good. Ill post up some pics of mine tonight or tomorrow, just to show the ways the dealers mounted the pumps to different trucks.

Looking through the Fisher documentation (as I just put my MM1 on the other night) there was 5 pump styles for the MM1. They can be seen here - http://library.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=248

Mine has the SEHP (solenoid electric hydraulic pak) For the most part, I prefer it - although belt driven sure would be nice for battery power (granted, it seems to be holding up decent so far)

My biggest complaint about the fisher plows is the trip edge. It seems to want to snag, slam, and trip all the time. I wonder if its partially because it so worn out, one side is 1" shorter than the other (someone plowed pavement with it angled all the time...) Even with the shoes on, its constantly grabbing and digging in :-(

Looking through the Fisher documentation (as I just put my MM1 on the other night) there was 5 pump styles for the MM1. They can be seen here - http://library.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=248

Mine has the SEHP (solenoid electric hydraulic pak) For the most part, I prefer it - although belt driven sure would be nice for battery power (granted, it seems to be holding up decent so far)

My biggest complaint about the fisher plows is the trip edge. It seems to want to snag, slam, and trip all the time. I wonder if its partially because it so worn out, one side is 1" shorter than the other (someone plowed pavement with it angled all the time...) Even with the shoes on, its constantly grabbing and digging in :-(

I installed a cutting edge last season that i found at the junkyard 2 summers ago. My trip edge is so worn that the plow is almost sitting on the springs. But its all better now, plus i dont mind grinding down the cutting edge since it can be replaced easy. Last year it did great, but this season its tripping a lot. I was looking into adjusting the springs, but unfortunately there is zero adjustment on MM plows. You have to buy new ones, and value-ing your life, get the tool to install them. The springs arent that expensive i believe, i need to get new ones, but all said and done the tool plus 3 springs i think are around 140.

I was really looking to do a dual alt set-up. But the brakets for the '95 and older are discontinued, you can get the ones for the '96 and newer, but then id have to change a bunch of my accessories, not to mentions the plow pump brackets might not work with the new accessory brackets.

Here are the pics of my set-up. STS truck and trailer in Syracuse, NY installed it on the truck with 25 miles on the clock back in 1994.
First pic is my truck next to my lifted '99 WJ. Sorry for the little bit of red rats nest wiring, needed to wire up the trailer brakes quick last summer and haven't touched them since.
For some of you who dont know i rebuilt my engine last year and had everything repainted. Look at the rust from only 1 winter season... Dissapointing....

So AK, where is your windshield fluid resevoir been located too?

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 8
Here are the pics of my set-up. STS truck and trailer in Syracuse, NY installed it on the truck with 25 miles on the clock back in 1994.
First pic is my truck next to my lifted '99 WJ. Sorry for the little bit of red rats nest wiring, needed to wire up the trailer brakes quick last summer and haven't touched them since.
For some of you who dont know i rebuilt my engine last year and had everything repainted. Look at the rust from only 1 winter season... Dissapointing....

So AK, where is your windshield fluid resevoir been located too?

Just like my fisher control setup.

I'd love to swap on a clutch pulley like AK has and work it all into the existing serpentine system.....:(

Just like my fisher control setup.

I'd love to swap on a clutch pulley like AK has and work it all into the existing serpentine system.....:(

X2!!! I hate my setup, Pump is a boitch to manipulate taking it on and off there, plus its in the way of everything. And 99.8 % of the times doesnt need to be running...

Plowing with 700+lbs behind the rear axle is night and day difference. Not only does it give ballast, but it takes the weight off the front end, eliminating the aweful bouncy ride, and the already super squatting torsion bars. (Not yours, just in general)

Im running zero ballast right now due to a late start this season. and i feel the difference!! Now with my bars cranked a little and a timbren kit it takes care of the squatting.

I need to try a timbren kit in mine

as for ballast... not sure how much is really needed in a suburban :)

Not to mention, by the time i add my tools I keep in it, and such, its probably enough.

on the subject of ballast my 4x4 isnt working in my 88 that i am currently driving since the 6.5 is broke. i striped down to spare blocks today that are no good (getting ready to make a scrap run) and threw them in the back i figure that and extra couple hundred pounds would be good to have with the current snow storm and 2 wheel drive

Back