• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

Ya know, something I do different than most when changing the ip is DONT remove the lines from the ip.

Pop the intake off.
Undo the nuts from injectors and wiggle free. Undo the 2 nuts (each side) on the valve covers that the lines mount to.
Then oil fill and 3 bolts inside, 3 adjuster nuts that are fun to reach, and wiggle the ip free of the gasket. Pull the ip with the 8 legs so your holding a big metal spider. Then you can reach all line nuts so easily.

If you put it on cardboard box, sharpie exactly where the injector nuts are. it goes back together beautifully. Obviously the bottom 2 are the hardest, so mark them the most accurate and pay most attention when assembling to the new ip.

One guy in the shop copied my method, but added sandwiching the lines innthe valley on each side with paint stir sticks and safety wire to ensure nothing could move.

I probably done 30-35 ips that way and only once had to loosen and adjust a couple lines- but never the hard ones.

I wouldn’t have thought mentioning this if not having just put my “spider” on a shelf last night pulling my engine apart.

I like this. Will use it on our upcoming IP replacement.

So pretty much got it back together. Drilled a hole in the core support for the drain tube to go into. The champion radiator is a good looking rad albeit a little too universal. There wasn't really much going into the rubber brackets on the bottom but the bottom is better than the top. I ended up bending the top brackets down a bit to get some tension on things. Other than that the only other thing is the metal tube going to the reservoir was one size too small. I ended up taking a piece of clear tubing that fit the tube snugly and sliding it on first then cutting it off flush with the tube then the rubber hose fit pretty snugly over that.
So as you can see now the fan is mostly covered but not totally, so I think I'm going to call that good.IMG_20190109_180102.jpgIMG_20190109_200808.jpg

So I swapped out the IP harness and the glow plug harness today. Took me most of the day as routing wasn't super intuitive. Had to reroute the passenger side one about 3 times before I was satisfied with it. Wouldn't have been so bad but they changed routing from stock.
I also cut off a couple of inches from my drive pressure line hopefully it was enough, looked clear.
Also one of the allthreads that I put on the FFM was broken so I changed that too.
Sitting here in the shop letting my truck get good and warm and then checking to see if I got all the air out of the cooling system.
Hopefully this will put an end to my hard hot starts.

It came back for a bit when I was running the cold front and it got warm outside, took it off and got new batteries and it hasn't happened since. I went all out on the batteries wasn't impressed with the interstates I had. I got them from batteries plus 880cca, they were pricey though, really spins it over now.

15-20 years ago, Interstate were really good batteries. My mechanic carried them and sold them exclusively to his customers. Like everything else Corporate America, profit margins and not quality became the the number one factor. About ten years ago, when he started getting Interstate batteries that were failing at a year old, that had replaced an Interstate that he had installed 5-6 years before that, he dumped them. I'm not sure what he carries for a battery brand now, as I've been buying mine from Sam's Club since 2005. In fact, the pair in my 98 Burb I bought from Sam's Club in June of 2012 and they're still going strong!

I don't know who makes Farm & Fleets batteries, but I have had good luck with them. Just the opposite with Rural Kings batteries. May have been luck of the draw. Always get batteries load tested when you buy them. I've rejected a lot of batteries

I don't know who makes Farm & Fleets batteries, but I have had good luck with them. Just the opposite with Rural Kings batteries. May have been luck of the draw. Always get batteries load tested when you buy them. I've rejected a lot of batteries
There are basically two major manufacturers of automotive batteries in the United States and they each make multiple brands of "name brand" and "house brand" batteries of varying quality, that often "compete" against other brands in the same Corporate owned "family" of brands.

Back