• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

Is that your boost gauge? Mine just used 1/8" air line with the ferreled nut.

1/8 tubing with a compression ferrule to fit it (similar to an OP gauge) and the proper nut would be a 3/8-27 straight thread (like a lamp fitting). I probably have a couple in a drawer full of tube fittings if you just can't find anything. Check around online first starting with the gauge manufacturer.

The tubing kit I have did not have the proper nut in it. Hewitt industry site had no accessories. On one of the two fittings I have no room for an adapter so I need to be able to go directly to it with a nut. This is a dual boost gauge so I can measure back pressure as well.

So while I'm waiting I decided to work on my other gauges. I got some angle rings to angle the gauges. Trying to decide if they have too much angle. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_20160116_093826.jpg
    IMG_20160116_093826.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20160116_093850.jpg
    IMG_20160116_093850.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
Won't a tube ferrel crush type fitting work?

Or are you trying to hook the one close to the pillar material. Might could put a spacer and let the guage stick out a bit? OR cut the pillar and maybe patch it with a hump?

I'm in the process of making a cap. Using a 1/8" brass pipe cap drilling the proper size hole in it and now I'm waiting for the 3/8-27 bottom tap I ordered.

On the 1/8" ferrule/compression fitting caps, you can find them with a ferrule that's flat toward the cap side/cone shape for compression on the other - the ones like that more reliably compress the ferrule square on the line. The ferrules with cone shape on both ends can work, but they're a bit more pita to work with.

Copper 1/8" line is nice where easy enough to run it. For turbine drive pressure, some put a bit of steel wool as filter right off the exh manifold, then shape some cooling coils (think like brake lines off master cylinder, except a few more loops). Then can convert to nylon line if you'd like a ways away from manifold.

When running 1/8" nylon line, I like to put it inside vacuum hose. A bit for protection, but it also stops the nylon's tendency to return to it's coiled shape & stops it trying to kink. Eliminating the kinking, makes it easy to route in the interior.

I am using the ferrules that are flat on one side. Couldn't find the caps to fit the 3/8-27 thread. I am going to use copper for my drive pressure side. How do they use the steel wool? Surely they don't just poke it in the small tubing. I've done the vacuum line before on an oil line, might consider doing it here for the conveince aspect.

The homebrew drive pressure setups I've seen typically adapt the line out of the exh manifold up to 1/4" or 3/8" NPT, then do a union filled with steel wool, then adapt back to 1/8".

There is a ready made filter sold for this purpose that includes a way to blow down/eject condensation & soot to clean it out. It's considerable $. Many don't run a drive pressure gauge long-term as after you've watched readings with same turbo/etc., setup for a while, you've got some understanding of what drive pressure is. If running one permanently, imagine you could see moisture buildup freezing in winter & blocking your reading until things warm up.

Do you mean 3/8-27 or the 1/8" NPT to compression ferrule/nylon tube? Let me know what you need & I'll check as I've accumulated a selection over the years.

After I get all my gauges hooked up and the roads get dry I'm planning on doing a series of 0-60 runs as well as a series of pulling a load up a pretty good hill close by. Starting out with stock (except for mods like 4" exhaust, FTB, etc) than with the new tune I'll be getting, then with my ATT on also with stock PCM, and then lastly with the new tune. As far as the guage in ? goes the fitting coming out of the gauge is 3/8-27. I'm going to use a 1/8 pipe cap drill a hole in it for the nylon or copper and then use a bottoming tap to clean up the threads. Absolutely no room for any adapters.

Gotcha. I had to go back & look again at the gauge pic & look more closely at the ports. I'll go thru my adapters selection tomorrow as have bought a few of the gauge & gauge sender adapters selections over the years. Bet they came with that cap/ferrule if I haven't used them yet.

so far in my looking around I have yet to see a cap go directly on it. They all use some sort of an adapter.
I guess I missed what the problem is except that space is tight? In The hose kit I linked above the fitting second from the left is a female 1/8 npt X ferrule. Its as compact as they get. Most auto parts will have it also.

Back