• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

So I thought I had my truck up and running but I parked it outside last night and when I went to start it in the morning all it did was click. Turns out it was the solenoid as the batts were fine. So I pulled the starter and now I'm waiting for parts to refresh it.

With your dual 1,000 watt block heaters, do you have to plug them into separate 110v circuits? Or can they both go on one without tripping the breaker?

Glad your no-start was an easy fix.

I plug it in with one cord. I wouldn't plug it in overnight tho. An hour is usually more than enough. Make sure its a 20 amp circuit without a lot on it. Also be prepared to replace cord caps occasionally.

While waiting for AK's answer...the old sparktrician in me spit out "depends..."

Math on how much is too much: By National electric code, 10 receptacles can be on 1 circuit. The receptacle requires 12gauge wire, which mandates a 20amp breaker. Volt X amp = watt. 2000 watt divided by 120volt is 16.66 amps. So it COULD handle it safely without tripping.

If anything else pulling a decent amount of juice is plugged into any of the other 9 receptacles, or the other half of the duplex he is probably using: that could cause issues for anyone. Plugging into a different receptacle on the same circuit breaker helps nothing. Lifespan of breakers is 10 "trips".

Keep in mind a heavy gauge extension cord as short as possible will help you with your high wattage heaters. The longer the cord the more voltage drop, so the less available draw.

Safety Sally time-
Also smaller (IMO should be illegal) than 12 gauge cord will exasperate any problems. It is illegal to use smaller wire in any structure to carry the load so don't do it where the wire is more likely to be damaged and cause injury or death. $10- $20 more for a good cord not worth you or your family's life? Need 20 cords? 20x$20= $400 worth of insurance and longer cord life. Remember heat and sunlight kills cords fast. And any extension cord smaller than 20 awg is not permitted to be repaired by OSHA, so what does that tell you..

I'm quite sure AK knows this, he is el-builder-o extraordinaire, just throwing out there for others that will read.

Now back to your regular programming...

I always buy good quality cords, they are pricey but worth it. 12 gauge if 100 ft., 14 gauge for 50 ft.

In new construction we're required to put in a dedicated head bolt receptacle.Nothing else on iit and be 20 amps. The biggest issue by far is the cords.

While I was typing out the words headbolt heater it made me wonder how many people know what they are and have actually seen one. Lol

When I was on jobs, it always seemed the electricians were the biggest offenders for having cheap extension cords.

We always used 12 gauge and sometimes 10 ga. cords. Now-a-days I would use as many battery powered tools as possible. They actually go a ways towards paying for themselves in labor rolling up and unrolling cords. Unless you consider the time fetching batteries from the charger.

Bought it in the early 80's for the trans. of my dozer tractor. Was nice to have warm hyd. oil. Was going to put the one in the pics in the pan but never did.
I've been around the block.:)

Last edited:
Any idea how I hook tubing to this? The outside threads are basically 1/8" pipe

Attachments

• IMG_20160114_214904.jpg
    IMG_20160114_214904.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 22
Back