• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

Sent my old pump off to someone who wanted it today. Here's another picture with the bracket removed. Still surprises me how much difference there is.
Acquiring some parts for my truck, so far I have a new pump, a new steering box, the parts to get rid of the EVO, some led lights for back up lights, door hinge pins, and I'm going to get some wire to replace the wiring going through the hinge area in my door, also think I might replace the wire harness going to the back of the truck.IMG_20210123_111240.jpg

The 6.2 stock lift pump was a mechanical diaphragm fuel pump located where the turbo oil return fitting bolts to the block on the 6.5TD now. That was replaced by the electric lift pump we all know and love now.
Thank you for that, it was the mechanical IP 6.5 I was really thinking of...

Sent my old pump off to someone who wanted it today. Here's another picture with the bracket removed. Still surprises me how much difference there is.
Acquiring some parts for my truck, so far I have a new pump, a new steering box, the parts to get rid of the EVO, some led lights for back up lights, door hinge pins, and I'm going to get some wire to replace the wiring going through the hinge area in my door, also think I might replace the wire harness going to the back of the truck.View attachment 63501
So would you buy a raptor again my old walbro layed down today. I made a different post about it

So I started working on my truck Monday. I changed out the steering box for a red head unit. While I had it out and a little bit more room I did my Evo delete. It probably took as long as the steering gear. I could probably do it in 1/3 the time now but I wasn't sure how it came apart.I could only see what things looked like with a mirror and then do what I needed doing the braille method.
I flushed the system before and after the swap and installed a magnetic filter on the lower return which also seemed to flow the most. Fluid was dark brown when I started and almost had a pink tint to it when I was done.
Then I changed the oil and greased the front end.
Yesterday I started to swap in my new raptor pump, it's quit a bit different than the older model. I ended up taking my mounting bracket and putting it in my mill and making slots out of the bolt holes and going 3/8-1/2" farther so I could lower the pump. I also put a piece of rubber in between to help isolate the pump some to reduce noise.
So both the inlet and the outlet are different on the pump but fortunately the suction side my old fitting mated up perfectly. Not so much so on the outlet side, I can't figure out why but it's smaller than the old pump. Spent most of the afternoon yesterday trying to source a fitting without any luck. For those interested the pump thread is 9/16-18 and the fuel line thread is 16-1.5 mm. After sleeping on it I decided to look at my old fitting and see if there was enough metal to make the threads smaller and I decided there was so I chucked it up in my lathe and turned it down and then used a die on it. Then I had to cut the length down. A little thinner metal than I care for but it worked.

So after thinking about it for awhile I'm wondering if I could have just unscrewed the Evo selenoid. Everything should rotate on the shaft, even the first snap ring that had an arm on it.

Is the evo valve normally closed then powers open? Why remove it? I unhooked the sensor on the column under the dash a long time ago is the unplugged sensor powering fully open the evo valve all the time?

I assume yours now steers easy all the time like old power steering. That is the way mine acts.

No clue on the electrical. I've only backed it out and back into my shop so far but I thought it actually felt firmer than before

Will posted while I was typing....
Electronic variable orifice or something similar. My understanding is it's supposed to reduce power steering assist at speed to mimic a sportier? firm feeling steering. Might be to help prevent jerk oversteer or something???? But when you turn the wheel more to lock and it senses a need for more volume of fluid it allows more flow. There is a sensor ring on the steering column that helps provide feedback. When the sensor ring goes bad you can sometimes feel a give in the steering wheel during a curve when the EVO opens and provides what feels like a slight boost in the steering assist.

Will posted while I was typing....
Electronic variable orifice or something similar. My understanding is it's supposed to reduce power steering assist at speed to mimic a sportier? firm feeling steering. Might be to help prevent jerk oversteer or something???? But when you turn the wheel more to lock and it senses a need for more volume of fluid it allows more flow. There is a sensor ring on the steering column that helps provide feedback. When the sensor ring goes bad you can sometimes feel a give in the steering wheel during a curve when the EVO opens and provides what feels like a slight boost in the steering assist.

What year did they start putting on the Evils?

So could it give you a sense of abnormal "lane wander" or "loose steering" when driving on the Interstate, even after replacing all four ball joints, all the tie rod ends, idler arm and bracket and Pitman arm?

I checked the rag joint and it was solid (although I have contemplated the U-joint replacement) and while the Pitman was being replaced, couldn't feel any really bad play in the steering gear box.

Back