• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My New Injection Pump Is Here!

What size letter bit does DP recommend for the end of the inj. lines? I would not have thought about that.

He didn't say. I just went down the line with my bits until I found the correct size. I think it was a #43, but I don't remember for sure. It was definitely a number 40 something. :D

Matt

6 could have been crimped "some" and the other two "some more". I would think comparing against the ip side of the line would tell you the original size, as they would not be messed with near as often as the bleed the air out side. I will say the only place I ever see broken injection lines on any diesel is at the injector. It's usually from not being secured and the vibration kills them, but I've seen it on 6.5s, benz, and cummins. If it is only a tiny bit I would try it. If it is a lot I would consider a new line.

Here is a video. In the video, I ran the RPM's up to about 1400, then let go of the brake. The pause at 30 mph is just waiting for the truck to catch up with the back tires.
HiHi.gif

The best I can get the trans to shift at in drive, is 3400, and while I can shift it manually, I can't do it while holding the camera!
1146.gif
I need an extra arm.
HiHi.gif

I'm planning on turning up the fuel in the pump tomorrow, as I want the most it can give me. If I mash it from a stop it roles coal, but it quickly becomes a haze with my truck building boost as fast as it does. I don't know what speed this truck would top out at, and I'm not sure I want to find out, as this old beast will bury the speedo with plenty of RPM's left to go, and pulling strong.

New Pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AV3...ature=youtu.be

Here is an old video from before I replaced the pump. I think you'll agree there is a pretty big difference from this video to the new one.
Old Pump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KZk...gbfm5QthyqHXvQ

Matt

Wow that 6.5 moves! Nice job. Does the boost come one any faster and does it max out higher then it did with the old pump? Got a video of that beast rolling coal on take off?

Wow that 6.5 moves! Nice job. Does the boost come one any faster and does it max out higher then it did with the old pump? Got a video of that beast rolling coal on take off?

Thanks Jorge. I don't notice the boost coming on any faster, but my HX has always spooled almost as fast as my GMX did. The wastegate still seems to keep the boost about the same. I'm currently running 18, with spikes of 20+ on shifts. I don't have a video of rolling coal yet, but I'll try to take one before further turning up the fuel, for comparison sake. :D While this pump roles a little more coal than the old one, I notice the biggest gains in the upper RPM band.

Matt

Thanks Nate. If you really want to see a difference. Here is a video from before my turbo upgrade. It just roles over and dies at about 60. :D

Matt

Wow that is an INCREDIBLE difference. Like a totally different truck. It reminds me of my Ford 300 straight six (not in a good way ). That has to be gratifying every time you take the truck for a drive.

You have some wiring to work on with the "Service Transmission Soon" light flickering. My 1st 1993 did that and it wasn't the: ECM, RPM sensor, TPS, Transmission... The only thing I didn't re-use was the wiring harness to rebuild the 1993 I have now aster the 1st one was totaled. I suggest it may be the insulation falling off (shorting) the input and output speed sensors on the transmission - separate 2 wire connectors.

That's what I'm talking about the 6.5td is a new beast with better turbo & fuling combo's your's is real nice indeed.
That is a fact. More turbo, more fuel, a whole lot more power! :D

Very nice, will be interested in MPGs after you start driving normal again :)
I'll let you know Leroy, once I settle down, and quit mashing the go pedal all the time. :rolleyes:

You have some wiring to work on with the "Service Transmission Soon" light flickering. My 1st 1993 did that and it wasn't the: ECM, RPM sensor, TPS, Transmission... The only thing I didn't re-use was the wiring harness to rebuild the 1993 I have now aster the 1st one was totaled. I suggest it may be the insulation falling off (shorting) the input and output speed sensors on the transmission - separate 2 wire connectors.
Thanks for the advice WarWagon, I'll check out the wiring going to the speed sensors. :)

Matt

I didn't turn up the fuel yet, but I did get a video of the current coal coming from the exhaust pipe. It only roles coal until the boost gets to about 10, and then it clears up. Here is the vid.

Matt

I didn't turn up the fuel yet, but I did get a video of the current coal coming from the exhaust pipe. It only roles coal until the boost gets to about 10, and then it clears up. Here is the vid.

Matt

That doesn't seem too bad. It will be interesting to see the difference once you turn the screw. Smoke is a funny thing....it's nice for the exhaust to run clean most of the time so it's not obnoxious and you're not being "that guy"....but then I don't mind that it gives a healthy puff when I want to so I can tell people what I think or that hey, this isn't your average Chevy truck... :D

On a side note....your winter sure looks different from my winter! :rolleyes: That's a beautiful backdrop for test drives.

That doesn't seem too bad. It will be interesting to see the difference once you turn the screw. Smoke is a funny thing....it's nice for the exhaust to run clean most of the time so it's not obnoxious and you're not being "that guy"....but then I don't mind that it gives a healthy puff when I want to so I can tell people what I think or that hey, this isn't your average Chevy truck... :D

On a side note....your winter sure looks different from my winter! :rolleyes: That's a beautiful backdrop for test drives.

I'm with you Nate, while I don't mind a good puff when I mash it, I like to burn clean most of the time. Nobody likes "that guy". :D
Both my parents were from Michigan, and I still have alot of family in the Lansing, and Travers City areas. I don't like those winters! It was 80 here yesterday, and we've yet to have a single day go below freezing yet this year, so the grass is still green. I like the South Texas winters. :)

Matt

I don't mind Michigan winters a lot of the time (it gives me a chance to play with my garden tractors in a different way), but I wouldn't mind if it was a little shorter. I don't have a frost-proof water situation to my barn at the moment, and I miss washing my hands out there. Oh yeah, and the whole thing where I have to spend an hour clearing the driveway before I can work on the stuff that I WANT to work on can be a drag too. Then again, I'm not a big fan of sweating either, so I don't think I'd dig Texas for too long. I guess there's just no pleasing me. o_O

Sorry for the hijack...carry on! :)

Matt

I'm very interested to see what you get when you turn the fuel up. That isn't too much coal at all. By comparison your coal and spool time on your turbo is a lot quicker than what I see in my setup. How does your truck respond when you try to spool up from cruising at a low RPM?

Incredibly jealous. I finally am gonna have enough money for my 375HP Southbend and suddenly want to spend it on a built pump instead :) Which I know would still mean nothing if my clutch can't handle it now but damn, that is nice!! Congrats!

Back