• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

So,

I have been driving the Yukon since we got back from the TN trip and notice my oil pressure is lower than I ever remember. Were talking maybe 18psi hot idle, 38 psi cruise at 2k-RPM. Upon research it looks like I may be experiencing the pickup tube o-ring failing.

I am working on obtaining the red o-ring, as well as a new oil pan gasket. Hope to complete this in the next week or so, for now the Yukon will be parked.

So,

I have been driving the Yukon since we got back from the TN trip and notice my oil pressure is lower than I ever remember. Were talking maybe 18psi hot idle, 38 psi cruise at 2k-RPM. Upon research it looks like I may be experiencing the pickup tube o-ring failing.

I am working on obtaining the red o-ring, as well as a new oil pan gasket. Hope to complete this in the next week or so, for now the Yukon will be parked.
Be nice if the low OP in our 6.5 engines was such a simple fix. 🤷‍♂️🧐😹

So,

Yeah, now is NOT the time to spin a bearing due to lack of oil after all the work you've put into it!

So,

the o-ring can be replaced without pulling the pan. the front of the engine will have to be torn down past the timing chain though. the oil pump sits behind the crank timing gear. it's not an easy task though. I hate the fact that all GM's newer engines from the 4.7 to the 6.0 all are prone to this issue and GM never remedied the problem.

the o-ring can be replaced without pulling the pan. the front of the engine will have to be torn down past the timing chain though. the oil pump sits behind the crank timing gear. it's not an easy task though. I hate the fact that all GM's newer engines from the 4.7 to the 6.0 all are prone to this issue and GM never remedied the problem.
I did see that. IMO the pan looks easier to drop. Plus it's definitely leaky at the pan gasket. I hesitate on fixing oil leaks as its rust protection to us northerners....

Well, the GM red o-ring and pan gasket arrived today. Teardown started tonight. In the rain..... for the 6th day in a row.....

Here it is, baseline cold start oil pressure. It's ugly.
20230504_184539.jpg

Got the oil drained. Only 3k miles on this as I changed it prior to TN trip. This cross member weighs a ton with all the schmeg on it...
20230504_191313.jpg

This is where we stopped. Got the front axle drooped. Tomorrow we start pan removal.
20230504_194728.jpg

Bit of an update here. Still have something going on with my oil pressure gauge. I really think I need a mechanical to check for piece of mind. So initially the pressures start out MUCH higher than ever on cold start. I really do think the O-ring helped, but maybe not the initial issue?

Note: This is purely judging the what I feel is the crappy OEM gauge:

With the new )-ring we are talking just over 40PSI cold start idle. It cranks right up to near 60PSI on cold takeoff. Once the truck reached operating temp the pressures start going down slowly throughout all RPM ranges. Almost back to the point of lower 20PSI's at hot idle. Cruising back up to 40PSI with increase of RPM. I think the gauge is realistic on cold, but something is happening once warm. I think the OPS needs and inspection, and finally something in the cluster could be failing (I believe stepper motor?).

Further side work I printed off the Fisher manuals for product installation and acquired the proper bracket attaching hardware to the frame. The bracket paint is also completed and sitting at home on the porch, I realize I forgot to take a picture of the final product. I am in the process of talking with an individual on marketplace about a Fisher wiring harness he has for $100. Hopefully its the right stuff.

Back